???

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by bclark1, May 30, 2013.

1. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

I was Just wandering if you could use for ex. the bolt for the 30 remington ar cal. and a 223 barrel in an ar-15 then neck down the 30 remington ar case to fit 223?

2. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Why would you want to? .224 calibers have piss poor external ballistics. I am sure it can be done though. Me personally I would much rather have a 6mm or 6.5mm they will resist wind deflection and retain energy almost twice as well, not to mention hit harder on target.

3. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

I was just wandering if the using two different cal. Bolt and barrel would workin an ar-15. I just used those two calibers as an example.

4. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

You can make anything fit with enough money/machining, the 30 Rem AR case is larger then the 223 so you would certainly have some issues to overcome but I am sure it can be done if it has not already. 22 calibers are not as popular for wildcating since people figured out how to use a ballistics calculator, how many new 22 cal centerfire cartridges have you seen coming out lately?

5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

6. KingTiger

KingTiger Member

If you want a 30 cal. AR round, the 300 BLK already does this.

It uses all existing 5.56 AR components except the barrel.

You can create 300 BLK brass from 5.56 brass.

7. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

King Tiger he is talking about a .223-30 RAR wildcat not a 30 caliber.

8. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

So if this was to be done would a custom nade barrel need to be machined to accomidate the larger brass body even thoughvthe neck ssizeis the same?

9. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

I would think so, don't think any milled out 223 barrel would hold it safely with a portion of it's chamber cut away you would need a full custom, wildcatting can be expensive brace yourself.
    Oh and if you are going to do this I would bet it is going to be alot easier on you if you start with a 30 RAR rifle rather then a 223, alot easier to just have a custom barrel done then worry about your bolt face and all that other stuff from a 223 upper.