91/30

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jeepster76, Oct 16, 2011.

1. jeepster76

jeepster76 New Member

Wife just made me a happy man said I can have one any advice on what to look for in one.

2. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Not exactly sure what a 91/30 is. Model 91 30-30?
    But anytime you have the wife's blessing............TAKE IT!:D

3. jeepster76

jeepster76 New Member

A mosin nagant model 91/30 its pretty cheap right now not to mention the ammo is also .

4. Hinermad

Hinermad New Member

Yes - check for muzzle wear. The steel cleaning rods with the Mosins will wear away the inside of of the end of the barrel over a space of decades, ruining accuracy. Try sticking a 7.62x54R bullet into the muzzle. If it doesn't go all the way in, like this, it's in good shape:

[​IMG]

If the bullet goes in all the way up to the case, the end of the barrel is worn and needs to be counterbored or cut off and re-crowned by a gunsmith:

[​IMG]

If the barrel has already been counterbored it'll look like that second picture but still shoot fine. If it does that but the seller isn't sure if it's been counterbored, you may want to look at a different gun.

Dave

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

for collect ability, you would like to have all matching numbers on bolt, butt plate, magazine floor plate, and receiver. open the bolt, pull it to the rear, pull the trigger and bolt slides out, then check the bore and see if its messed up clogged, dark, damaged, and then clean it. Many people don't like the counterbored rifles, but they were done for a reason. You might want to get the headspace checked before you shoot it.

I'm sure I'm missing alot and someone else will give you some more info.

6. jeepster76

jeepster76 New Member

Thanks for the advice will keep in mind with the way of the economy can't afford to waste money on a bad one. Anybody have any luck buying off line I have seen some nice deals at a couple of places?

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

one way to check for counterbore is to stick the butt end of a bic pen down the bore, as most weren't done as far back as the length of a pen, if you feel a definite ledge inside the bore then its counterbored. If not, then it's been shot out/worn out.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, you can still find some good deals on line- but unless you have a FFL, or have a FFL that will recieve for you cheap, the fees can eat up savings. I have an 03 C&R FFL, and have bought a 91/30 and an M38 from Southern Ohio Gun, and there are others as well. There is still cheap milsurp ammo out there- buy a wheelbarrow load while it is still around. Many of us wish we can gotten a truckload of 30 carbine and 303 Enfield while it was out there.

9. jeepster76

jeepster76 New Member

From what I have read online if I get my C&R license I should be good considering a 91/30 is at least 50 years old. And thanks for the advice too.Don't want to make the boys at BATF mad at me

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Mosin nagant 91/30 is covered specifically under C&R I believe

11. towboater

towboater Active Member

There are quite a few different 91-30s. Round receiver, or square receiver. Solid wood stock, or laminated. Some have red lettering, some white, and others no color at all. Look it over for rust. See if the numbers match on the bolt, receiver and butt plate. Try to get one that includes the bayonet, sling, and firing pin depth gauge.
    Clean the chamber well before firing. Get all the cosmoline out of it.

Here is some good info on them. A Brief Overview of the Mosin-Nagant Rifle

Hex receiver
    [​IMG]

Round receiver.
    [​IMG]
    Round receiver.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Jeepster- a gun becomes a C&R one of 3 ways-
    1. Being 50 yrs old.
    2. BATFE is petitioned (usually by museum curator) to designate a specific gun as a C&R
    3. Gun is already on the C&R list published by BATFE.

In the case of the Russian 91/30, it is on the list by name. Without regard to age (and I do think they are all 50 yrs anyway) if a gun is listed, it IS a C&R. ALL Winchester Mdl 88 rifles, ALL Colt Woodsman pistols, etc. Here is a link to the list.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-11/atf-p-5300-11.pdf

13. vincent

vincent New Member

Budsgunshop.com...$109.00, ship it to your LGS, mil-surp ammo, while corrosive, 440 rounds for under $100.00. It doesn't really matter much about matching numbers or mix and match parts, it'll be worth about the same because there are just millions of these things floating around. Do your basic check like you would on any used gun, get a bigger safe because these things multiply like rabbits...not kidding, I bought one and they've reproduced to three. Best thing about these guns, besides the price is the history. Chances are, if it was manufactured before the mid 1940's it saw action somewhere. It's just a super cool gun to have and think about, modify the h**l out of it...(blasphemy) or leave it as is, best hundred bucks I ever spent!!

14. shootsathing

shootsathing New Member

Love my M91/30...when you get it, this is a good place to start for identifying your rifle:
    http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm.......also try J&G Guns (Prescott, Az) their website has a free manual for the rifle to download, buy a limb saver, the steel butt plate is not comfortable after a few clips....

15. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Just remember...once you get the m91 you will need to get it's little brother...M44 carbine. :)

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

I want the M44 for that underwear soiling inducing fireball.

17. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Yeah...a Mosin BBQ...a couple brats on the bayo, 20 rounds down range and lunch is served.

18. Hinermad

Hinermad New Member

This has been around for a while but I haven't seen a link to it lately: a comparison of the AK47, the AR15, and the Mosin-Nagant:

Mosin Nagant Humor  AK vs. AR vs. Mosin Nagant

My favorite part is the accuracy comparison. With an AK you can hit the broad side of a barn from inside, with an AR you can hit it from 600 meters, and with a Mosin you can hit it from two counties over.

Dave

19. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Depends on the ammo. BTW, 2 rounds and a hotdog is chared and split. Light ball produces the best fireball. You don't notice it untill the sun starts to set, then it blinds you.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've had that saved to my bookmarks for a while.

My favorite is "you can bayonet your enemy on the other side of the river without leaving the comfort of your hole"

But really I love the whole thing.