91/30 Mosin Nagant Safety

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by John_Deer, Nov 10, 2014.

1. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have been searching for a way to make the safety on my 91/30 a little more user friendly. I tore the bolt down and cleaned it Safariland CLP like I usually do. Then I degreased the entire assembly. I lubricated the bolt with CRC spray on white lithium grease. Assembled the bolt. Then slid the bolt in the receiver. I did nothing more or less.

I can actually get the safety to work as Mosin or Nagant intended for the safety to work. I have had this rifle for three years. The safety has always been inoperable. I never hunted with a round in the pipe when I used that rifle. I can now use the safety. On the can of spray on grease it says for heavy lubrication. The 91/30 safety is definitely heavy to turn.

I do not know if I am on to something but we shall see in the next six weeks. The 91/30 is shooting very good. I am ready to try the 91/30 on a mature 3 year old buck.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  2. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I've managed to use the safety on my 91/30, but it isn't easy, especially with a little arthritis setting in. Mine is shooting high, about 6" at 56 paces, using a convenient tree trunk as a standing rest.

3. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Aim 6 inches lower!!:D

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

As far as I remember, the bolt safety has always been stiff on the Mosin rifles, because the soldier was not expected to use it often. The heavy trigger and operator's discipline were the practical safety. It is a Russian pattern and it reflects their doctrine. The AK safety is also awkward compared to the AR or the M14 or the G3. I can't remember hearing from anyone that they want to make the Mosin safety usable. I am sure it can be done.

P.S. Many if not most shoot high, it's normal w/o the bayonet. A simple sight job fixes it, PM if interested.

5. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  6. Rex in OTZ

If you want to drop that high flying group, Id suggest trying WOLF*Gold*205gr*SP loading.

Most surplus 7.62x54r ammo in 147gr fmj which has a tendency of flying high.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  7. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The simplest way to drop the group is to use a heat shrink tube and a small piece of copper wire. The heat shrink is a temporary fix. But it will get the gun on target so you can see if you want to proceed with more work. 203 gr Brown or silver bear ammo is good for testing. Once you decide you want to proceed with the rifle take the heat shrink off the front sight and cut the rear sight ramp down. Use an air cut off wheel to take most of the metal off. Then use a belt sander to make the ramp nice and pretty and do any fine adjustments. There are lots of tips and tricks to making a Mosin Nagant more accurate. Controlling barrel harmonics is the first thing you need to do. You can shim the barrel with cork gasket material.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Mosin Safeties are as useful as a politician. Just don't chamber a round until you are ready to shoot. If you change your mind after chambering, unload the round.

If you are insistent on using the safety, cock the bolt, use the first and middle fingers to retract the cocking piece and rotate the cocking piece with your left thumb. You are working against a strong spring, it requires strong fingers.... or you could just load when you are ready to shoot......

9. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Now I have the safety working it gets easier to use each time I use it. Once I discovered use would loosen up the safety I brought the 91/30 in the house. I turned the safety while I was watching TV or killing time. I have the safety working well enough to disengage the safety when I see a deer. I killed a big doe Wednesday 11/27. I managed to disengage the safety with three deer watching me.

I also tried out PPU 150 gr soft point ammo today. At a little more than 100 yards I hit a one inch square 2 of 4 shots. All 4 shots were within 3 inches of the center of the one inch square. I am confident I can make a neck shot at 100 yard with PPU 150gr soft points. I am going to stick with the 180gr soft points. I will get a box or two of the 150gr ammo when I find a free shipping deal for hard times.

I have tried PPU ammo for both my 270 and 30/06. PPU shoots as well as Winchester Super X ammo.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  10. Rex in OTZ

I usually never pay any attention to the safety, Im more interested wither there is a round in the chamber and not feeding any more from the magazine when clearing the chamber.
    Any weapon that chambers a round, the safest way to carry a weapon is with no round in the chamber.
    wither its a Italian Carcano, Chinese Sks, High Standard Citation, Mossberg 500, Marlin model 60, Mosin Nagant, Savage 110, Ruger Mini14 or a Remington 522.
    Empty the chamber every time.
    Allot of folks have made a fatal mistake assuming a safety works 100%, 100 percent of the time, same for having a round chambered and bumping the bolt (1903 Springfield) on somthing and discharging the rifle.

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It is hard to find a vintage photo of a soldier with a Mosin on safe. I've never seen one.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Excuse me Mr Deer, you mind waiting right there while I chamber a round? Thanks for your cooperation! If all deer were as cooperative as you every hunter would kill a deer. Did I say kill? I meant to say harvest a deer.

13. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

I like the ring on the back idea. I put a Timmney trigger in mine and it has a safety on it so works good for hunting. I have put a scope on mine and it makes the MN safety even harder to use. On that note... the MN safety when on is about as good a safety as it gets.

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Releasing the high-strung Mosin safety QUIETLY takes as much time as chambering a round, and more effort.

The heavy trigger is safety-in-fact, as in DA revolvers.

15. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I don't find the trigger to be very heavy on a 91/30. Maybe I got lucky and got a good one. Before I got the safety working I didn't chamber a round. The 91/30 is a barn gun for me. If I have time to go get the gun I have time to chamber a round. But the safety didn't bother either of the deer I shot with the 91/30 this season.

The NC Wildlife Resources Commission released harvest survey. Only half of the hunters who buy a license have killed a deer since the computerized system has been implimented. 25% of hunters make what the NCWRC calls incidental kills. Incidental kills are people who do not kill a deer every year. Less than 10% of hunters kill two deer a year three years in a row. Less than 3% of hunters use all six tags and buy two bonus tags for $10.

The NCWRC knows how many deer are legally killed. We can register our kills by dialing 1-800 I got one or by going to the NCWR website. If you go to the website to register your kill it shows every deer you have killed since the computerized system was implemented 4 years ago. I like this feature. If you lose your harvest record you can get a new license and big game card for free. Then you can enter your customer ID and recover your harvest registration numbers so everything is legal about the meat in your freezer.

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Good, if it works for you. I am not a fan of the Mosin safety system, so there's bias. It was obsolete before WW1. If people find it handy today, that's longevity.

17. Rex in OTZ

Military rifles and safeties- one has to keep in mind that military rifles were ment for combat and not sport hunting, some are easily sporterized and some not so well, the Mosin 5 round striper clip feeds 5 rounds in the mag in one go, Now you tell me can you push those 5 rounds down to close the bolt on a empty chamber?
    Feed a 6 round mannlicher clip in the magazine of a 1891 Carcano, can you depress the mag spring enough to close the bolt on a empty chamber?
    How about 5 rounds in a 1891 Argentine Mauser?
    The answer to the questions above is NO.
    Battle rifles were ment to be carried empty, when required the magazine was charged with a full charger/clip/stripper clip and the top most round chamberd at the ready.
    one the last boltaction rifles produced in substantial numbers was the Frances MAS Mle 1936 which was never fielded with a safety.
    I know people love to jump on the bash the frenchie bandwagon, having a Mas 49/56 & I can say I have personally inspected and fired a MAS Mle 1936, the French military rifles are odd but there is nothing cheaply made or false about them, its a pretty serious rifle without a safety.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Many of the older bolt action battle rifles didn't have a safety but many of them had a half cock position for the bolt that served as a safety. The 303 Enfield had both a safety and a half cock position for the bolt. Once the full auto rifles were introduced most of them had a easy to use safety. The rifle had to have a giggle switch to control the rate of fire, so a safety was easy to install. Warfare changed after WWII. Guerrilla tactics replaced Napoleonic tactics of WWII.

19. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The Mosin safety has another shortcoming. To lock the striker, you pull it all the way back. If your fingers let up, the rifle may fire.

Other contemporary rifles had safeties separate from the firing mechanism.

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I had the same concern about the safety on the 91/30. I let the safety knob bounce on the firing pin until my fingers were tired. Then one of my friends tried to make the 91/30 go off. We propped the cap on the end of the stock on a bucket while we were doing all the testing. We popped the safety knob into the firing pin so many times we wore the paint off the cap.

Apparently the rifle is safe. I am not sure if the safety gets easier to engage with use or the shooter just becomes more proficient at turning the knob.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014