9 mm Luger loads

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by junglejim, Mar 4, 2014.

1. junglejim

junglejim New Member

This is a question on 9mm loads. My searches on this forum didn't help much, but I'm new here so please forgive me.

I'm switching from 114 gr Hornady HP to 125 gr Berry RN for my play ammo. I have been using 7.6 gr of Blue Dot behind the 114 gr Hornadys. But I think I want something a little hotter behind the 125 gr bullets.

Now consider what is available. My LGS probably has Blue Dot and Unique and not much else. So given the case capacity of the 9 and the limited availability, what do you "experts" consider to be a good load?

They are going through a SIG 938, a Kahr PM9, and a Springfield XD.

2. junglejim

junglejim New Member

Follow up question -
    What are you guys using for overall length?

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

From the Alliant website

Pistols and Revolvers

9mm Luger
    •124 gr Speer GDHP
    •Unique
    •CCI 500

Minimum OAL(inches)

Bbl Length

Primer

Powder

Charge Weight
    grains)

Velocity
    (fps)

1.12 4 CCI 500 Unique 5.8 1,180

As bullet weight goes up, powder charge goes DOWN (all other things being equal)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  4. JonM

JonM Moderator

The current hornady manual has really good loads for 9mm. I use book values.

5. junglejim

junglejim New Member

I've heard reports of Unique not burning as cleanly as Blue Dot. Has anyone experienced this?

I clean after shooting so it doesn't matter much, but cleaner is usually better, right?

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Hornady or Speer book loads. Remington 1 1/2 primers and a healthy charge (worked up carefully) of HS-6 or Power Pistol. Both of these powders are ecxcellent for +P loads. Unique isn't bad of you work up pretty close to maximum.

7. junglejim

junglejim New Member

I've been living by a Speer manual and what is on the internet, especially Alliant. But I think a new Hornady manual is in my future.

8. locutus

Add a Hodgdon manual as well.:)

9. therukh

therukh New Member

9mm Loads

I'm lucky in that I have a friend who has been a commercial reloader for decades and anytime I need data I just ask him. He will rattle off any load data I want from memory and it is always spot on. For 9mm's I started off with 125 gr. lead bullets with 4.2 grains of Winchester 231 and used that for years in my Browning Hi-Power's. Then I needed a load for my MP-5 and went to 5.0 gr. of 231 with 124 jacketed bullets. If I need anything else and my buddy is not available for reference I use this link:
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/
    and always get good results. Remember, always use caution when trying any load, even mine, and always start low and work your way up, checking for signs of excessive pressure with each new load.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

For the plated bullet use cast bullet data. IMHO Blue Dot is a little slow for 9mm handgun loads although I like it for carbine loads.

I prefer a faster powder for 9mm handgun loads and cast bullets. I use W-231, Red Dot, occasionally Green Dot.

11. locutus

Try HS-6 with jackets. You can get +P velocities without +p pressures.
    I gert +P+ velocities at +p pressures.

12. msup752

msup752 New Member

I reload Berrys 124g as well. I use 4g of VV 340 and it stays just subsonic.
    VV isn't cheap but it takes less powder per round vs other powders and is very clean. Power Pistol produces a lot of smoke and flash in comparison.
    VV makes a 9mm optimized powder that burns slower than 340 (3n-something) but produces more velocity. I'm not looking for more velocity out of plinking rounds so I have not tried it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk