9 mm is there one that fits my wants

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by downsouth, Dec 8, 2011.

1. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I have a walther p22. Some trouble at first with some ammo. Now after several hundred shots no problems at all. I would really like to find a well made 9mm with close to the same features. The natural answer seemed to be a walther p99. This is a striker fired pistol. I prefer a hammer on my pistols. Probably because my roots are in revolvers. I like the idea of having a round ready to go "safely" when in the company of my pistol. DA/SA with a hammer. Any ideas?

2. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

CZ 75 (look no further ;) )

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Browning Hi Power. Thread Closed! :D

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Are you looking for a full sized pistol or a CC Pistol ? many to choose from you just need to be a little more specific

5. Werminator

Werminator Member

Maybe a look at the FNP-9 series from FNH? I love the way they feel and they have a lot of nice features...

6. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Thanks for the quik response guys. I would want a full size hi cap pistol. I' m very interested in the cz~75spo1. To my understanding it has plastic parts. Any thoughts on that. My son has fnp45 which I've shot and liked. What a beast! I'm not familar with the hi~power except its stellar reputation.
    Like most these days money is limited. I want to get it right the first time on this purchase. I would say my budget is around 600.00. I have read other forums on different subjects. This is the first one I have written a post on. You guys have broad and different opions with a sound knowledge base. Thanks again for the feedback, be assured it will be a key in my decision.

7. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Great choice. I have the CZ 75 SP01 and it is my favorite. The only plastic part that I know of is the recoil spring guide and it is cheap to replace if you feel like it.

If you like it now...wait till you held one in your hand..and shoot it for that matter.

8. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Or you can get the real deal as JM Browning designed. This one set me back $450 and has no plastic parts. It sees a lot of use. There's a reason they're considered "King of the 9s".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I'd buy one too if I can find it for $450. ;)

10. downsouth

downsouth New Member

That is a beautiful pistol in form and function. It is single action. The only way you can reach and shoot is with the hammer back, one in the chamber. Am correct in my thoughts?

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The critical question is, are you set on a polymer gun? If so, look into the tupperware offerings from FN. They make an excellent gun and fit your criteria pretty well. Also check out the CZ P-07 Duty and Sig SP2022.

If you're open to metal framed guns, check out the CZ 75, Browning HP, and Sig P226.

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

CZ 75 vs BHP?

Push.

[​IMG]

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Yes, it is single action. I keep it cocked and locked on the nightstand right now.

14. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I bought that one about a year ago from AIM Surplus when they got a big shipment in. I think I even paid $10 extra for a hand-select.

15. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Not set on polymer, just wonder how long the stuff will last for the long haul. Then again that much less to rust, lighter, which may mean more muzzle jump. Just picking ya'lls brains. At this point I'm open to all. Like I said, the idea of having a gun that you can reach and pull the double action trigger, followed by single acton without having to fumble with a safety appeals to me. There are no small kids in my house, just me and the wife. And she knows every gun in the house, how to use them. In that situation, I don't see a problem with having a gun, "ready to go" and still being relatively safe because of a stiff first squeeze if the trigger. If you think this is foolish thinking, let me know.

16. gilfo

gilfo Member

I know you said you want a hammer, but I my mind I would rather have the P99 since it is almost identical.

17. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Same argument can be used for SA that is cocked and locked.

I am a DA/SA fan but more of personal preference. Polymer is proven to last but I prefer all steel for HD or range use. For carry, polymer sure have some weight (or lack of it) advantage. Weigh all factors and decide.

18. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

With that said, forget the BHP. Many polymers will work, but that's contingent on your willingness to settle for either a manual safety or a consistent double action trigger. Here are what I think your best options are for a 9mm, non-safety, DA/SA type of home defense handgun:

Sig Sauer P226/228/229/P239- DA/SA, medium weight alloy frame, decocker for DA first pull. These meet 100% of your criteria and are excellent guns. Prices can vary from $600-1000+, but you can get into an excellent gun for $700 or so.

CZ 75 models- Steel gun, sort of a BHP/1911-esque double stack 9mm DA/SA. Most have thumb safeties, but they are available with a decocker alternative...which meets 100% of your criteria for $500-600.

Springfield XD/XDm- Polymer gun with a very good trigger pull and comes with a grip safety, which negates both accidental discharge and at the same time removes any extra motion to put it into action. You grip it correctly, it fires. You don't, and it won't. But this gun does not have a hammer. $400-650.

The above three are all excellent guns. I actually have each, as do many other members on this board.

19. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I'd recommend trying out some different models. If you like the "theory" of the DA pull, then you should experience it in person before making a choice. A lot of people don't like the heavy pull or stacking of a DA shot. If you don't practice a lot of DA shooting, there is a chance that you'll pull off target slightly with the DA, especially if you're used to shooting primarily SA.

For me, I prefer the trigger to be the exact same on every shot. I train by bringing my pistol up to position while at the same time flicking down the safety with my thumb. Gun goes up, safety goes down. Gun goes down, safety goes up. But you. An train yourself to use a DA first shot and SA for follow up shots just as easily. But I had to actually experience what worked best for me. Just thinking about the theory wasn't enough. Get some range time behind as many guns as you can so you can get a practical knowledge of how the guns function and how you shoot with each. There's not one right gun for us all. Everybody has their own style and preference.

20. downsouth

downsouth New Member

I know what you mean by the heavy d/a and then the much lighter s/a following shoots. I had that argument with myself while getting the P22 broke in. Something I have come to terms with.
    Thanks to all who give me there opions in my choice. After SWEEPER 22 recomended I look at the Sig P226 I googled a review. It was very informative, really too far in the weeds for me. As I read this review the author mentioned "deactivated" pistols. Then he wrote he lives in the UK. I scrolled back up to look more closely at what website I was at.
    THE DEACTIVATED GUN COLLECTOR.

My train of thought got derailed. Thats all they got, deactivated guns. Puts my choice in a whole new light. We as a people, need to be very watchful of those who would infringe on our rights.