9 mm crimped primers.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by string1946, Mar 24, 2014.

1. string1946

string1946 New Member

I'm sure this has been covered plenty of times before but maybe there are some new ideas out there now. I haven't used my Dillon in quite some time and its time to get it cranking. I just order a bunch of JHP bullets from Precision Delta on someones advice. I had to order 4K to get the volume discount so thats whats coming. I have several thousand primers and I have a bunch of Accurate #7 and Blue Dot so will use one of those. My cases are mixed head stamp so my question is does anyone have some magic method of figuring which ones have crimped primers. I hate to have to deprime all of them and then swag all the pockets but don't want to crush any primers either. I think all military brass has crimped primers but not all brass with crimped primers are military. I thought about going through the brass and pick out the ones with a date on the head stamp and swag those. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

are you sure they are crimped?? almost all my 9mm brass is range pickups and ive never come across crimped 9mm

3. string1946

string1946 New Member

No I'm not sure their crimped. I just assumed (I know, I know) the brass with the year of manufacture head stamp was military brass and thus crimped. I'll pick out a few tomorrow and resize and try seating a primer and see what happens. If its not crimped it makes my job a lot easier.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If this is the first reload of once fired brass, I'd just go ahead and swage all of the pockets to be sure. If you have a Dillon super swager. If not, sort the commercial out by hand. I haven't run across much commercial with crimped pockets.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Not all "military" brass is crimped. In my experience, the Winchester NATO brass is. Not all Winchester year stamped brass is NATO. I have noet seen many other headstamps that are crimped.

Crimped is pretty easy to spot doing a quick visual inspection after polishing.

6. string1946

string1946 New Member

Most of this brass is range pick up so I have no idea of its history. I do have a Dillon Super Swager. My eyes just aren't what they used to be but I got one of those magnified lamps a couple weeks ago, one of those on an arm with the light around the magnifying glass. Might be a good time to break that in.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If it has the NATO "cross in a circle" you can just about be certain it's crimped.

[​IMG]