8mm mauser?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Armed-Citizen, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Armed-Citizen

Armed-Citizen New Member

is the vz 24 Mauser a decent Mauser?
    is 8mm ammo commonly available in surplus and commercial load?
    thanks in advance

2. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

VZ24 is an excellent Mauser!! 8x57 or 7.92x57 has kind of dried up. Commercail ammo is so, so. Do not buy U.S. made ammo. It is so underpowered. Ask members if they have ammo they would sell.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The Czech BRNO vz24 Mauser is a fine gun if it has a good bore.

As far as workable ammo you will need to roll your own to match the load/bullet to the gun and your hunting environment.

4. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I love the 8mm Mauser. American factory ammo is available, but hand loading is really the way to go. I have a Husqvarna 648 and a Yugo M48 in 8mm Mauser. With handloads, they both shoot MOA and have more that enough velocity for anything I want to do with them. The 8mm will do anything that the .30-06 will do, and I think will do it better in most cases, especially with 200 grain bullets. I make my brass for it from .30-06 brass. A few steps are involved, but it is not too difficult. The rifles you have is a good one and should be a great shooter.
    cottontop

5. OhioStateShooter

OhioStateShooter New Member

The only surplus 8mm I see around in big numbers currently is the 50s Persian/Iranian surplus. Unless your ok with half to one full second hangfires, stay away from it.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

7. jpattersonnh

Wolf Gold is reboxed Prvi Partizan, nothing more. I shoot quite a bit of Prvi if I can get a good price on it. Good brass for reloads. I picked up 2 boxes of 196gr SP ammo to try out my 1945 DOU sniper project. The Prvi ammo shot 8" low. 1949 turk heavy ball was dead on as were my 175gr reloads. I was quite suprised as I had never had an issue like this w/ prvi ammo.

8. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

I have found some 8mm Mauser that I really like that is sold by Wedener's. It is Yugo M-75. They call it sniper ammo. The last I saw listed was 15 rounds/$8. I really like this stuff because the cartridges are very clean, and I think that they are non-corrosive. I say this because I once fired some and then being busy and not getting back to my rifle for about a week. I was met with a very dark bore. I had thought I had just ruined my 98k. Pushed a brush with Breakfree on it and all the coal came out, the bore was unharmed. After this I called these rounds non-corrosive, but dirty. Accuracy-wise. I was able to put all 15 rounds into a six inch circle using a ZF-41 sharpshooter scope at 100yd. The cases are Berdan primed, but they are such good-looking cases that I could not throw them away, so I learned how to reload Berdan, and found a source for berdan primers at Graf's. I found a source for new Serbian made 8mm bullets of the same weight that was originally loaded. I still look for 8mm rounds, but primarily shoot my reloads

9. lilbailnick

lilbailnick New Member

I have had nothing but good,good and more good with the 50's yugo surplus ammo! I came across it one time at a LGS and bought 300rds and a week later I went and cleaned them out paying 4.55$ a box of 15 and made own little surplus of nearly 3k rounds! No lie I've maybe been through about 600 rounds or so and ONCE only I had to double cock and fire again. This 50's stuff in general seems to be flawless thus far and it's quite accurate though I haven't pushed anything farther than 350yds or so. No lie, I with the fantastic iron sights on my K98 had 4.446 inch group at 200yds Again the rifle and ammo is likely more accurate than me but it made me smile large! Note it was my best group and no I wasn't standing but rifle and ammo does it itself

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  10. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

Yep, I like this stuff too. You should be set for a while with what sounds like a great deal. I wish my eyes were good enough to shoot 200 yards. But when I get frustrated by what my Mosin is doing, I switch to the 98K and it makes the rest of my day at the range, especially with the Yugo ammo. The brass is reloadable, but I have yet to find out what loads to use to approach the group size of the original Yugo loading

11. jpattersonnh

What yugo ammo is reloadable?? 1950's is berdan primed. Even the '70's is berdan primed.

12. -06

-06 New Member

Have one carbine and one K98 in 8mm (another 98 converted to '06) and interested in "Cottontop's" changing '06 brass to 8mm. Thanks for the info on good ammo. Only have a wee bit of 8's so will be picking up some.

13. cottontop

cottontop Guest

8x57 brass

Will send you an email describing the process.
    cottontop

14. Don357

Don357 New Member

I have a Yugo M48 that seems to like the Sellier & Bellot 196gr CESP for hunting. It's good clean, reloadable ammo, much harder hitting than US commercial stuff for about half the price.

15. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

To jpattersonnhYugo 1950's ammo is Berdan and when I was having trouble finding any 8mm rounds to shoot, I decided to learn how to reload Berdan. Not hard. RCBS sells a tool to decap the fired case, and Grafs and Son sell the Berdan primers. Primers are a little larger than Boxer, so I have to singlely load the primers with my RCBS hand primer, but after putting in the primer, the remaining reload sequence is the same as Boxer. In times of less ammo, I have one more option

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  16. lilbailnick

lilbailnick New Member

About how much does it cost you to reload 8mm? And I know that there isn't much to say there's savings! As to your statement said you reload 8mm based on availability but I'd like to know my options with it because of hand loads are simply better all around? Your thoughts?

17. cottontop

cottontop Guest

8 mm Mauser

I don't know, nor do I care about saving money by reloading 8mm Mauser (or any other caliber). I don't spend my money on drinking, smoking, playing golf, bowling or any other activity that might be considered frivilous. Reloading and shooting is my only vice and hobby. I reload so that I can have the ammo always available and because I can have better quality and more accurate ammo by reloading. For example, in my Husqvarna hunting sporter in 8x57, I can shoot 170 grain Remington factory loads and the rifle will group them around 2" at 100 yards with a MV of around 2300fps. With a 180 grain Nosler BT and CFE223 powder I can hand load for a MV of around 2600fps and it will group 1/2" at 100 yards. Looking at those figures, I think I prefer the handloads. Which load would you choose?
    cottontop

18. HM2Grunt

HM2Grunt New Member

I would have to say that my sentiments would be like Cottontopshooting center fire bolt action rifles is my main time and money consuming pleasure.(Obama, you let me be now) The primers for the Berdan cases are a little pricey, that having to do with the high hazardous materials fee you pay to get them sent to you, but I enjoy reloading, and learning other ways to reload. I reloaded Berdan when I couldn't find any other 8mm to shoot in quantity. I suppose I could find some US made 8mm rounds, but I once had a German K-43, the the US made rounds were too low powered to make the rifle function. You will have to "Google" to find out why they are produced under powered. I try to load my 8s to original ballistics because the barrel rifling, the sights, and most of all, my scope is metered to work best with this power of ammo, by German design. I also learned to reload both Boxer and Berdan as a hedge to times when ammunition may not be available. Expense in reloading is up front if you don't have any equipment. I have been reloading since the 70's and have what I need to reload. Some of the tools have been with me for some time. Back to your questions: How much does it cost to reload 8mm? Don't know. Am not sure what you are trying to ask with the second part of the question, but will answer that hand loads are as good as the amount of time you put into researching and experimenting putting them together. But if you like to buy a box of commercial rounds because you can't find any surplus that's OK too. It's your hobby, enjoy. Take your rifle out and shoot;take a non-gun friend out to shoot, take your wife and kids out to should. Shoot the sht out of it, but remember that cleaning is also a most pleasurable part of the whole package.