8mm mauser vs (insert other here)

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Lessdragon, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Lessdragon

Lessdragon New Member

I purchased an 8mm mauser czec vz 24 and I was wondering if you were in my position would you keep the 8 or change out the barrel and reciever for something like the 7.62 308 30'06 etc etc. Price power accuracy range of the various ammos and practical applications of each would be helpful so I am looking for cheapish short to medium range ammo that is common, could kill most if ot all game in the 48 and would be good for Shtf teoftwawki situations. Thanks in advance

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well, not to be a smart a$$ but if i were in your position i would'nt have bought a 8mm if i did'nt want a 8mm :confused:
    Now if you bought it only for the great mauser action only then the options are sure there for a fine custom rifle :)
    Personaly i like a 8mm-

Just about to finish up on a little Spanish Carbine in 7mm myself-
    I REALLY love the 7 mm mauser :cool:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

3. Lessdragon

Lessdragon New Member

Its not necisarily that I dont want. What little I know of it I like, but I see lots of talk on 308 & 30'06 and others that I was wondering how it compared to them. One thing I dont like though is 36$ +/- for a factory box of 20, and I do know about getting millsurp, but those supplies will only lasts for so long. Also it isnt as common as I was lead to believe in my area of the state/country

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Just what ammo/gun is common in San Francisco?

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

8mm Mauser AKA 8x57 or 7.92X57, is pretty much as close to a 308 as you can get, without having a 308.

Case size and capacity is more in the mauser, but ballistics are quite comparable.

Plenty of ammo is available on the net.

$1/rd
    8mm MAUSER : Ammunition To Go

8mm Mauser

heres the best price Ive seen in a long time
    100 Rds. 196 - Gr. 8 Mm Mauser Fmj Ammo, Rifle Ammo, Military/Surplus, Bulk 8mm 8 Mm Fmj Full Metal Jacket Ammo Rounds Rifle Yugoslavian Berdan Primed Nonreloadable Corrosive at Sportsman's Guide

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Depending on the loading, 8mm Mauser is in the .308/ 30-06 power range- sometimes a bit above it. Relatively new milsurp ammo is plentiful right now- stock up. Here is ONE place that has 15 rds for $3.99- on stripper clips. With the right bullet, capable of dropping anything in this half of the world.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

8x57 out performs a .308 every time.

W/ 180 gr+ the 8x57 surpasses .30-06.

I don't own a .30-06, don't need one. I have 4 8x57 rifles. The VZ24 is one of the most accurate, strongest ever built.

8. Lessdragon

Lessdragon New Member

Thank you all for the info on the gun/ammo. How much would you say a good condition vz 24 with a 10ish round mag added onto it would be worth?

9. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I'm moderately addicted to 8mm Mauser, so I'd keep the 8mm.

Though I'm also addicted to .308Win.:D

10. Hawg

Hawg New Member

About 150-175 + whatever the custom work for the mag costs.

11. Comeswithbacon

Comeswithbacon New Member

What about the 7.62x52R??
    I mean i dont think it should be left out ya know?

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Do you mean 7.62x54R?

13. Lessdragon

Lessdragon New Member

Im actually living in sebastopol, and lived.most of my life.in rohnert park, which is in sonoma county. I just put sf for simplicity

14. Comeswithbacon

Comeswithbacon New Member

OOPS!
    yeah thats what i mean...

15. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

$10.00:confused::confused::confused:

16. Lessdragon

Lessdragon New Member

Time finally

Finally found the time to upload a pic or two. These were taken befor I cleaned the rifle.

Attached Files:

17. ArmyGuy

ArmyGuy New Member

I just ordered a premium select grade 8mm mauser from Mitchell's Mausers with ammo. Didn't realize it at the time, but I got screwed on the ammo. It is cheaper at AIM Surplus Home ($13.50 for a box of 20), which is the cheapest 8mm non-corrossive ammo I have been able to find. I personally like the 8mm, but only because I like the historic value of rifles from WWII. I just hope the rifle looks as good as the salesman said it did.

18. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Gud luck- AIM is usually a gud place to deal with :cool: