Firearms Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between the 1. w-w super 8mm mauser (headstamp) and 2. R-P 8mm maus (headstamp ) as the R-P are shorter? Case is the same but the bullet is round ( soft point? ) making it a few cm shorter. For a turkish mauser
Can the R-P or both be loaded safely into a Turkish Mauser?
I just want to be 100% sure and safe.

The ammo was purchased from a dealer at the gun show and he bought a lot of 8mm and sorted it himself.
I haven't been able to get back to the shows to ask him.
Thanks,
sandfisher

· Premium Member
S&W 637-2, SIG 365 Subcompact
13,603 Posts
There might be a problem chambering the soft points as the Mauser is designed for full metal jackets, but if the Mauser in in good mechanical condition there will likely be no problem.

FMJs are more of a cheaper plinking bullet, the soft points are designed to expand at the tip and tumble inside soft tissue, like a deer or elk.

If you aren't sure of the rifle's chambering, have a gunsmith or knowledgeable person look it over to make sure. The Turkish Mauser was made in at least three different configurations and calibers.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There might be a problem chambering the soft points as the Mauser is designed for full metal jackets, but if the Mauser in in good mechanical condition there will likely be no problem.

FMJs are more of a cheaper plinking bullet, the soft points are designed to expand at the tip and tumble inside soft tissue, like a deer or elk.

If you aren't sure of the rifle's chambering, have a gunsmith or knowledgeable person look it over to make sure. The Turkish Mauser was made in at least three different configurations and calibers.
It's in excellent condition. Been taking it to the range using Sellier and Bellot 8 X 57 JS.
Enjoy this Milsurp. No issues at all.
I'll post a pic tonight.
Thanks,
sandfisher

· Supporting Member
15,483 Posts
Sandfisher

Enjoy that Mauser! :D I have a 1924 Romanian Mauser and love to shoot it. But someday I am wanting to get a German. K-98.
For those that do not know it, Sellier and Bellot Ammunition is good ammunition.
I have shot some of their 250 gr Match Ammo in one of my LR Rifles! It was great ammo and very accurate.

Reactions: sandfisher

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Time flies. it took me a few more days than I dais it would to post the pics.
Really enjoy the Mauser. Makes me want more Surplus.
The 2 on the left in both pics are from the individual at the gun show.
The one on the right is the Sellier and Bellot .
I think the 2 on the left are older? But not Surplus.
I haven't shot the surplus yet because of the extra cleaning.

Will the 2 on the left load okay? Or doesn't really matter they all load the same?
Thanks,
Sandfisher

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,476 Posts
The picture isn't ideal on my phone. That said, the S&B on the right has a significantly longer neck on the case, that doesn't look right to me.
The neck of the case is no longer than the others, it’s a stepped bullet, which I’ve seen before , but don’t understand their purpose.

· Registered
133 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I'm a Mauser kind of guy, what type of Turk do you have?
Mine's a 1944 made Model 38 K.Kale.
You might enjoy this informational site Turk Mauser - Models

I also have a Yugo re-work K98k and a WWII bring back that was "sporterized" by the nameless GI who brought it home.

Reactions: sandfisher

· Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Range Day.
3 boxes used. 60 rounds.
All 3 types were fine.
Always enjoyable with the Mauser.
I want to get another MilSurp just have to decided which one.
This Turkish Mauser was only $350.
Sandfisher
Next you need a fine 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. This is an M38. The M96 are longer barreled.

Wood Hardwood Chair Linens Room

I have a few about to go on the market. Getting too old for so many rifles.

· Premium Member
I carry a 9mm. Shield 1.0 or an S&W model 12-2. Mauser shooter & collector
11,931 Posts
The 6.5x55 Swede m/96 is often called the finest Mauser ever made. Low recoil, very accurate, great deer caliber, always taken care of, never had corrosive ammo run through it. I second Outlaw's recommendation, he turned me on to Swedes years ago. Cost me a bunch of money.

The ultimate m/96, a Swedish m41/B. The finest military bolt action sniper rifle ever made. It's good to 800 yards.
Wood Outdoor furniture Bicycle accessory Natural material Gas

· Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Sandfisher

Enjoy that Mauser! :D I have a 1924 Romanian Mauser and love to shoot it. But someday I am wanting to get a German. K-98.
For those that do not know it, Sellier and Bellot Ammunition is good ammunition.
I have shot some of their 250 gr Match Ammo in one of my LR Rifles! It was great ammo and very accurate.

Most of the "bought ammo" I have in 9mm is S&B gotten before pre-stupid pricing. It's made in the Czech Republic to NATO pressures, thus, is a little hotter but just noticeable. It's also the cleanest burning that ammo can get that I've ever used. I always order it when buying, if it is an option.

· Premium Member
7,334 Posts
Most of the "bought ammo" I have in 9mm is S&B gotten before pre-stupid pricing. It's made in the Czech Republic to NATO pressures, thus, is a little hotter but just noticeable. It's also the cleanest burning that ammo can get that I've ever used. I always order it when buying, if it is an option.
So do I. S&B has some really hot 32acp I like a lot. 1043 mv vs the other brands at 900 MV. Makes my Zastava all steel pistols really sing to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts