870 ???

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Cade, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Cade

Cade New Member

I have a Remington 870 Express Super magnum. I'm looking for a 18" barrel so that I can swap out barrels and use it as a home defense gun and also use the 26" for birds.
    Is there a 18" barrel that will accept the 3 1/2" shells. I see most of them say 2 2/4 to 3", not that I want to shoot the 3 1/2" much but I got a bunch of these shells with the gun.
    thanks for any info submitted
    Allen

2. 25-5

25-5 New Member

If you are using the 870 for home defense, you will be buying 2 3/4 shells in 00 or #4. I use my skeet barrel. At 25" it's plenty short enough. It's a 45 year old Wingmaster with a 4 round magazine (plug out).
    If you don't have a house full of folks, the 00 is fine. Otherwise, I would tend toward the #4 because of wall penetration.

3. lowceiling5611

lowceiling5611 New Member

+1 to this. Exactly what I came in to write :)

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I agree, too. Good advice.

Hey, I have a Wingmaster of that vintage! Got it used in 1977 with three barrels, and keep the 18" mounted. Double aught buck or #4 2.75" shells will do just fine.

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Pick up and hold some of your kids' airsoft bb's, that's the exact same size as #4 buck but way heavier, it's still some pretty big ole shot.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

By switching to shot that will not penetrate drywall you are giving up barrier penetration. I am not waiting for a goblin to get in my home before I start shooting. When he/she is trying to breach my door I am going to give him/her one verbal warning. After the verbal warning my next move is going to be with my shotgun.

Eddie Eagle made it clear. Know what is behind your target. If your home security plan includes shooting in the direction of your family members it is severely flawed.

7. Cade

Cade New Member

The 870 ESM will be the main home defense gun and by going with the 18" barrel I'm able to carry it in the roof rack on the side by side, otherwise it is to long. So if I get the short barrel will it handle the 3 1/2 magnum loads?
    We do a lot of riding in the mtns where our cabin is and there are from time to time some Grizzlies, wolves and cats in the area.

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Honestly, I can't see an advantage with a 3.5" load vs a 3", or even a 2.75". If I were to be in bear country, I would load up with 2.75" slugs, because that's more than enough power to stop a great bear, and 3" or more is just plain painful to the shooter with not a huge advantage in stopping power.

9. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

Midway USA #149-038 CHECK THAT.

10. Cade

Cade New Member

I don't plan on buying any 3 1/2" shells as I got over a 100 of them with the gun, slugs and 00 buck. I bought a couple boxes of 2 3/4" 00 buck and #4 to use.
    Are all the 870 barrels regardless of length able to with stand the same pressure
    Again I ask if I wanted to shoot the 3 1/2" would a 18" barrel hold up.
    Sorry for asking again but my 1st post has not been answered.
    I know & agree with what all has been said in the replies and I thank you

11. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

You should not exceed what it says on the barrel no matter the receiver rating. The barrels have stamped what they can handle, generally now days they say 2.75" & 3". Your 3.5" receiver rating has no bearing on what you are "supposed" to fire through the barrel you have.

12. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

Sorry my info was for a 3" chamber. But if Midway doesn't have it, it just may not exist. Sell the shells and cut your losses. Besides, a 3 1/2" shell in a short barrel will not be enjoyable to shoot...even if your life depended on it.

13. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Here's some info on Midway from Remington about extra barrels:

Product Information
    Shop more Remington products This replacement part is a factory original from Remington. Factory replacement parts are manufactured to the exact same specifications and tolerances and use the same manufacturing materials as the original parts which guarantees excellent fit and reliable operation.

Technical Information:

Model 870 extra barrels with 2-3/4" chambers will fit Super Magnum, Magnum and 2-3/4" receivers. Use only 2-3/4" shells in these barrels
    Model 870 extra barrels with 3" chambers used on Super Magnum and Magnum receivers will handle both 2-3/4" and 3" shotshells only. Use only 2-3/4" shotshells when these barrels are used on non-Magnum receivers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what this is saying is that the magnum(3" receivers) and the super magnum(3.5" receivers) will fit and accept any 3" & 2.75" chambered barrel, and 2.75" only barrels, but do not exceed what the barrel says on it.

14. string1946

string1946 New Member

I don't know of anyone that makes a 18" barrel for your Remington 870 Express Super magnum. The shortest I know of is the 23" turkey barrels. If I really wanted a barrel that short I would just buy what I could find the best price on and then cut it to 18 1/2" myself. If you wanted to keep the choke tubes the I expect a gunsmith could do the work for you and rethread the barrel. I might even send it off and get it ported.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

A bulk container of 100 -2-3/4" shells runs what? 20 to 25$?

I don't recall ever seeing an 18" barrel for 3-1/2" shells,

but IIRC, don't 3-1/2" shells merely carry more shot, with

no additional powder? AFAIK, they're designed for hunting,

to lengthen your shot string, in certain difficult birding

circumstances, and are considered a fad by

many serious hunters.

A shotgun wouldn't be a SD weapon of first choice, for me.

But if it was pressed into service, I would probably use

2-3/4" shells, because I'm not into structural repairs.

16. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

The pressure limit is higher for 3-1/2" shells than it is for 2-3/4" and 3".

17. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Go to Lowes and get some paper used for covering floors while painting and pattern your gun at about 20 yards - see how it looks.

I too would go with #4 or so and use a 26" skeet or mod barrel at most. I wouldn't want to get peppered with any shotgun at those close distances.

The Remington 870 is awesome. Mine too is about 45 years old. Bought in 1968.

18. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Cade. An 870 ESM will accept any 870 2 and 3\4 or 3 inch barrel, but you will be limited to the length of shell listed on the barrel. If you fire a 3.5 inch shell out of a 3 inch barrel, you may spend the rest of your life wiping your azz with a hook. No exageration. The 3 inch chamber is shorter that the fired length of the 3.5 inch shell, which will cause the end of the shell to block off the wad and the shot, giving the barrel only one way to release the pressure. It can blow out the side of the barrel, or it will come out through the receiver, carrying the contents of the receiver at high speed. Either way, the end result will not be pretty.

I looked and could not find an 18.5 inch 3.5 chamber barrel for an 870 ESM. The only way to get one would be to buy a full length 870 ESM barrel, and cut it down to 18.5 inches. At that point, it will need to be drilled and tapped for a front bead, and if you want chokes you will have to take it to a smith to be bored out and threaded for tubes. By the time you are done with this process, you will have spent (assuming you can find a used barrel) as much as twice the cost of a new 870 EM 20 or 18.5 inch barrel would cost you in the first place. Not worth it IMHO.

Do what you wish to do, as it is your choice, but keep the above advice in mind when you do. As to what to use for HD, I will stay out of that discussion. What one shotgun fires and patterns well at any said distance 9 times out of 10 will not be the same as another one will. When you decide on your set up, buy a couple boxes of each type, and try them out at the longest firing distance in your house. This will give you the information needed to decide on what to use.

Best of luck.

19. Cade

Cade New Member

Thanks for all the info stated. I guess if I want one to fit the side by side roof rack I will get the Rem 870 tactical 18" and stick with the 2 3/4". As for all the 3 1/2" mag loads I've got I guess I can take them to the range and let those who want to shoot a few can have at it.:D

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

You are giving up a 160 fps by using 2 3/4" slugs vs 3" slugs. You have a large animal that can run like a thoroughbred and jump like a deer that is trying to eat you. You really think giving up any advantage is appropriate?

Using a Winchester Super X rifled slugs the 160 fps equals
    3" 3010 ft lb 2 3/4" 2488 ft lb

The difference might mean an instant stop vs a bear chewing on your head for 15 minutes.
    http://www.winchester.com/PRODUCTS/...formance/Super-X-Shotshell/Pages/default.aspx

If a bear is trying to eat you recoil will not be an issue. Your adrenaline will be rolling. The 12ga will kick no more than a 22 lr when defending yourself against a bear.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014