Firearms Talk banner

870 shotgun for wife

5K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  tinbucket 
#1 ·
So planning on buying my wife a 870 shotgun and I'd like to do something special on it for her. Have thought about custom paint job or engraving the stock but not sure as she wants to keep the wood furniture on it and idk if a custom paint job would look good with a paint job. And she likes dolphins and horses and she is a big car fanatic so idk what I would engrave? Please any ideas or colors? Maybe someone has biught their wife a gun and done something to it to make it unique?

#4 ·
Put a pic of dolphin(s) on one side and a unicorn on other side with scrollwork around them to set them off.

If she's Irish, do a leprechaun on one side and pot/rainbow on other side.

American Indian, put a bow&arrow/warrior spear on one side with buffalo on other.

The ideas are endless for engraving with pics and scrollwork.

You'd need to probably redo the finish afterwards, but for the wife, she'd be pleased and you'd reap the reward.

#7 ·
Have a good woodworker carve out:

9-11 FDNY and fill it with red epoxy on the left side

9-11 NYPD on the right side and fill it with blue epoxy.

A good tribute, and something she can be proud to show off to her friends.

#9 ·
Just make sure the stock fits her before you decorate it and has a good recoil pad. You might look into laser wood engraving.

#10 ·
I have refinished and carved up a few rifle stocks. My first ruger 10/22 I sanded down the stock to bare wood and carved my "family crest" into it. Then refinished it with a matte grey stain. It looks much better than the pic shows, the wood grain really pops and the carving soaked up the stain more so the crest pops out too.
Sleeve Gesture Font Finger Wrist

I also sanded down my mosin nagant hunting rifle stick to bare wood so I could tiger stripe it using the wire and torch method. Then I didn't bother with a stain because the wood was actually already beautiful, so I just put a matte clear coat on it and called it good:
Musical instrument Comfort Air gun Wood Textile

Attachments

#11 ·
Just make sure you're gonna keep the gun before you make any mods to the stock. Because unless you're a well known artist, you're gonna hurt the resale value. Or you could buy a spare stock to have on hand to switch it back if you ever want to sell. That's what I did with my 10/22, though I don't ever plan to sell it.

#12 ·
There is a carved 870 stock on ebay. You might also consider an inlay rather than a carving.

#13 ·
Is your wife familiar with the 870? Does she handle the recoil ok?

Mine did not do well with a 12 gauge 870. After many attempts she got a perfect stance, pocket, and cheek weld she still did not do well with the recoil.

I ended up getting her a 20 ga. H & R (basically 870 clone) and a Knox recoil dampening adjustable stock and she couldn't be happier.

Just curious of your wife handles the 12 ok. I know a lot of women do. But hell I've seen some men that are recoil sensitive.

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

#14 · (Edited)
There a few women that can stand the recoil of the 12ga 3.5" nitro mags a very few.
The statement of getting a Remington 870 is pretty generic like saying your buying a Ford.
What type and size?
I found investing in a women & youth model with a butt stock fitting them with a nice soft recoil pad helps with a firearms popularity, it may look beautiful but be a brutal to shoot.
She will love a shotgun she can comfortably shoot lots more than a purtty gun that dont fit and kicks the hell outta her (unless she's built like Dogpatch's Moonbeam McSwine) :D :D

Attachments

#18 ·
I have refinished and carved up a few rifle stocks. My first ruger 10/22 I sanded down the stock to bare wood and carved my "family crest" into it. Then refinished it with a matte grey stain. It looks much better than the pic shows, the wood grain really pops and the carving soaked up the stain more so the crest pops out too.
View attachment 168224
I also sanded down my mosin nagant hunting rifle stick to bare wood so I could tiger stripe it using the wire and torch method. Then I didn't bother with a stain because the wood was actually already beautiful, so I just put a matte clear coat on it and called it good:
View attachment 168225
I can imagine what a overzealous DA would make of a rifle, that had been used in deadly work, justified or not, that was engraved with a skull.

That is like the young man from work who called me over the weekend to find out if I knew where he could find a cheap revolver, working or not, to fashion into a gear shift lever for his truck.......I wouldn't help him, and I advised him to think of what could follow if he were pulled by a cop who poked his head in the window to see that gun at his fingertips.

PS, One day, when you get bored with your Mosin-Nagant, your "improvements" will have halved the value of the rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.