870 express

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by akers06, Apr 29, 2012.

1. akers06

akers06 New Member

I know this has been talked about forever on here but I took my wifes 870 express 20ga completely apart yesterday and cleaned it ....wow the new 870s are so much cheaper made and rough compared to the older ones I never really paid that much attention until yesterday.....I'm trading it off for a pistol and probably going to buy her a 20ga benelli nova or some sort of 20 GA semi auto or one of the new STOEGER m3000 12gauges that just came out

2. akers06

akers06 New Member

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

I don't know it posted like that sorry lol

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

And your point is? Remington still makes Wingmasters, but people do not want to spend the money. They build the Express to a price point, and for what it costs, it is a solid gun. The same Wingmaster Magnum I paid $150 out the door for in 1974 is a bit more these days.

5. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea they are solidly made like crap....for what they cost you can buy a gun that is made a whole lot better. I'm not a mossberg fan but the 500s are made better along pretty much every other pump gun on the market...I was really amazed at the poor quality. I would've expected something a lot better out of a company like remington. That is the first 870 express I've ever owned and it will be the last unless I get a super good deal on one then trade it off

6. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Must be a new thing, I have a express magnum, solid gun, never an issue.

7. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

akers;
    You are quite right, and the more common anectodal performance problems of these guns demonstrate it. I wouldn't even buy an 870 Express Police anymore. When the President of Remington says reliability is not the key feature, "it's pointability," there's a HUGE problem. It's a shame they have to try to keep up with the famous Mossberg NASCAR Race Team and Mossberg's many sportsman's infomercials...

...kidding. Remington needs to go back to making quality guns and stop just marketing their poorer recent products to people who don't know any better.

akers, I also commend you for getting the Mrs. a decent 20 ga. by the way!!!

8. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Sorry you don't like that little Express. I own one and think it's very good for it's price---especially having a steel receiver over Aluminum Alloy which you'll get with any other shotgun Manufacturer, and paying 3 to 5 times more. I know you mentioned Benelli, have you looked into the new Weatherby SA8? They seem to be quite reliable for a Semiauto.
    Del

9. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

What about it didn't you like? The only thing I don't like is the orange plastic fallow cap. I have an alloy one coming. Maybe they made them cheaper since 01 but mine is verry solid.

10. akers06

akers06 New Member

The first thing I don't like is the action. It is really rough instead of smooth like it should be. The finish on the gun is terrible its that rough feeling crap. It had more fail to cycles than my semi auto had. It was like it wasn't sending the shell out to the elevator. It is around a 2009-10 model because it has the new model forearm on it. I was just really disappointed in it. The only up side is it shoots a turkey shell fairly decent, it doesn't kick at all, and it fits her well

11. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea I like the sa-08s they are nice guns. If I can't find a semi auto at a decent price I'm going to find her either a benelli nova pump or a nice used winchester 1300 pump both in 20ga of coarse. I would consider a 12ga auto because it has less recoil she shot my 12ga auto the other day and done well with it

12. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I bought one a while back shot at least 700 rounds though it, my action was pretty smooth and it was a brand new 870 express. I never really had a problem with it except last duck season part of my glove got caught in the action. I loved that gun took everything from hog to goose with it, I guess it's like my dad always said no gun is the same maybe you just got a black sheep or something, mine ended up at the bottom of a pretty deep damn lake I wouldn't have traded the gun for anything. Personal opinion I would go for a nice over under if I were you, just my two cents, good luck with the shotgun shopping hope you find her something awesome!

13. akers06

akers06 New Member

She will be doing more deer and turkey hunting with it than anything so an O/U really isn't ideal even though I would like to have a nice O/U lol

14. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

I agree with you 100%. Lately, they have been junk. If you can buy an older used one, I'd much rather recommend that route to people if they really want an 870. If not, I send them over to the benelli and mossberg camps.

15. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yessir both are a lot better guns

16. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

B.S. on the whole "hate Remington" theme. It easier to cheaply finish an aluminum receiver. I have looked at a lot of new Sporting 1100s and they are as well made as anything they have ever made in my opinion. Buying cheap and expecting the equivalent of a Wingmaster is nonsensical in my opinion. People are buying cheaper guns and Remington is catering to them. But, rough or no, there are so many Expresses out there working fine your argument rings hollow. I tried two, and never had any issues, but I just cannot warm up to flat finishes or plastic, from any manufacturer.

17. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

I have a few Remington shotguns. None are a more recent 870 Express, nor will they be though I wish they could be. When a manufacturer starts down the path of "cheaper" versions of their main production line I won't buy either anymore so there are no new WingMasters in my future. They have squandered the name and reputation. But I'm not selling my old one's either...

18. akers06

akers06 New Member

Nobody said anything about the 1100 or any other remington besides the 870 but the cheaper 1187s are made cheap like the express'....and its not like the 870s are considerable cheaper than the novas or the 500s and both of those guns are made a lot better than the 870 express' are

19. akers06

akers06 New Member

Also the reason there are so many sold is bc the ppl who don't know that much about guns see remington and automatically think "that's a good gun ill buy that" or you have the die hard remington ppl who won't buy anything else

20. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

My first gun was an 870 tours why I still have one. I wouldn't say I'm diehard but in my personal experience I have had no issues with the brand. My 12 ga is either made before they went cheap but I will say 1 thing. I had my hands on a wingmaster the other day, it my 870 does seem cheap in comparison. I am going to change out the bolt when I do the new trigger plate.