Firearms Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I change the barrel on my 870 express to a wingmaster barrel ? I have a opportunity to get a used wingmaster barrel and wanna see if that's a good Choice .

·
Supporting Member
816 Posts
What are the differences?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Well, make sure it is chambered for 3", because a lot of early Wingmasters were not. It will be lighter in the same length, and the top of the rib - if it is ribbed - will have anti glare finish as opposed to the same finish as the rest of the Express. And several million of them were made before RemChokes came on the scene.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What would happen if I put a slug barrel on a regular 870 (not wingmaster, express just a Remington 870) , would it shoot slugs?

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
870 12 ga barrels interchange. Only the 20 ga's have interchageability issues. There are several versions of 20 ga's that use very specific barrels.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
You can shoot slugs thru any Rem barrel(slug barrel or not). Most would certainly shoot better using a slug barrel. Virginian is correct about some of the early 870 barrels being 2-3/4" only. Rumor has it that at some point Remington changed to chambering all 870 barrels to 3" but marked some 2-3/4" when sold with a non-magnum gun. I never bothered to verify this rumor.
Also Rem did make the Special Field in 12 gauge which took a special barrel.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Be advised that most of the "just regular 870s" that do not say Wingmaster and have a flat finish are Expresses without the name rollmarked on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts