870 Express for Hunting

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by northhike, Aug 12, 2010.

1. northhike

northhike New Member

I am considering buying a Remmington 870 (20gage) for Pheasant and Grouse. I love the Wingmaster, but for me its less about "looks" and more about performing in the field. I know a lot of people like the O/U's and I still am considering that myself, but wanted to hear from you who hunt with the 870 Express. How does it perform in the field? Happy with it? Etc.?

2. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I've never shot the 20 ga. but I have a 12 ga. that's put down a lot of turkeys and knocked an uncountable number of squirrels out of trees. Out of all of my shotguns guns, that’s my first choice for hunting.

3. amoroque

amoroque New Member

One of my first guns was a 870 express in 20 gauge.

It works great and is reliable. 20 should be plenty enough for pheasants and grouse.

The part I like about mine the most is that it wouldnt break my heart if it got a scratch or a dent in the field.

4. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

20 guage is my favorite shotgun guage. I have been hunting ruffled grouse with this caliber for the last 20 years. I do not have or have shot a 870, but I do use a tri-star 20 guage. Price was very reasonable (just under $300 @fleet farm) and after the initial break in, it shoots flawless. It kicks no more than a single action 410. Last year I got off three shots with three grouse at 30 yards. 20 guage is a perfect caliber for grouse. I reserve my 12 for ducks and geese.

5. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

You will be hard-pressed to find a better shotgun at that price. 20 ga. is also awesome for whitetails.

6. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 New Member

I have a couple 870 Express' one 12 Mag and a 16 gauge. Both are fine guns. The 870 Exp. is one of the best buy's in shotguns. Just keep in mind that it's not a Wingmaster and will probably need to be shot more or polished up a bit before it will be as slick as a nice Wingmaster. But it will get there.

7. northhike

northhike New Member

Thanks all! Does the Wingmaster have better components? I know it has a nicer stock/wood, but in terms of the parts that function the gun.....are they all that different? As I said aesthetics I don't care about.....functionality and reliability in the field I do care about.

8. Missileman

Missileman New Member

All the same parts--some of the internals may be polished up a little more, but they come from the same parts bin. You can't go wrong! As mentioned before, it will slick up the more you shoot it.

9. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I've used an 87 Express a lot in the field, and I'm really happy with it. It might not have the exquisite finish of an old Wingmaster, but it works great.

I've used mine (12ga) for small game as well as deer and boar. It's one of the best investments I've ever made in a gun.

10. CourtJester

You CAN make the 870 look really pretty

[​IMG]

11. northhike

northhike New Member

Very nice!:D

12. peabody

peabody New Member

any 870 is GOOD.

i love my old wingmaster 16ga.
    [i thinks ? it was made back in the 50's ? dunno? its old]

peabody

13. GreatWhiteHunter

GreatWhiteHunter New Member

Did that stock come with yours originally? I like it alot, looks really nice.

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That would be an aftermarket job. You can find stock 870's with some really nice wood and engravings. But, for both the 870 and Mossberg 500, there are tons of aftermarket stuff out there. Just another reason to buy a mass produced pump shotty. :D

15. CourtJester

A friend of mine made that one for me several years ago to fit me. You can buy them in all shapes, sizes, and colors for anywhere from $65 to $300 with a little bit of looking around the internet.

16. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

You can not beat an 870. I have an older Wingmaster in 12 ga., 2 3/4" I own 5 others in various configurations in either 3" or the super mag 3 1/2". I use them for everything from dove to turkey, duck and goose and quail and pheasant hunting.

I prefer the 870 over my Beretta 391 Urika in a duck/goose blind or boat for the simple reason that when an 870 gets jammed up with ice it will still shoot. Dropped one in a flooded rice field in Arkansas one morning and after I thawed out my hand from retrieving it i just used a butane lighter to warm the breach and started cycling the action, DEAD DUCKS!!!!

One is a Left hand Express Mag. (Yes I am a south paw) Only issue I have ever had with it, and it is still my primary dove gun, is that it does not like to extract high brass shells. polished the chamber and still will not extract mag goose shells, especially steel. Only the Lefty does this.

There is a reason the 870 is locked in most every police car in this country. Digests just about anything you can run through it with out fail.

17. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I got the basic 870 express 18" home defense model,I decided to take it to my little makeshift range where I got a 12"X14" tank from an old grill set up,just for kicks.I went back 75 yards with a few Rem sluggers rifled slugs I got for $3.29 a box,lined the bead up with the rear reciever and let one fly-plank-I shoot again,bong!,again-bangg!!,I hit it every time from 75 yards with the 10 or so slugs I shot at it.I couldn't believe how well I could do with it,especially because it was all freehanded and I never shot a 12 gauge slug before that day.I may just take that simple looking gun out deer hunting with me.

18. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

Well, I am happy to say that I am the proud owner of a Rem 870 Super Mag! So far I'm hearing good reviews and I intend to prove all of you true by testing it out soon enough.

My only concern - and I'm just double checking - I picked up the 870 Express combo - the rifled barrel is just 2.75 and 3" compatible, but the smoothbore says it can take 3.5 with the supermag receiver. My receiver says 870 super mag, but the ad from the store never mentioned that it was a super mag. I assumed it was when I went in to get it but i never asked. So the 870 express combo comes in super mag right! LLike I said I'm pretty sure it is since the receiver says "super mag" on it but Id rather not blow my face off first time I go shooting!

But if all goes well I just might make this my main gun. It seems pretty multi-purpose with the changeable barrels. Has anyone played with extending the magazine?

19. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The only difference the Wingmasters I ever seen was like in my 12 ga will not use 3.5" loads. I have a Mossberg for that if it was that necessary. Those Express Remingtons are right fine weapons I say. :)

20. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

Trust me, you DO NOT WANT TO SHOOT A 3 1/2" Sabot slug, even IF there was such a thing. Go and shoot a 3" sabot slug and you will see what I mean. It will kick the living crap out of you. It is a supermag. Look at the receiver, see the little spring loaded trap door on the rear of the bolt? it will atke a 2-3/4" - 3" barrel and function perfectly. Should be no Face-ectomys whit this rig. Maybe a blown shoulder, but no blood shed.