870 Express barrel on a Wingmaster

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by RonAz, Nov 2, 2012.

1. RonAz

RonAz New Member

I recently purchased a new 26 inch barrel for my 870 Wingmaster. It is blued in the flat Express blue. Does anyone know if I can use a cold blue product to increase the blueing to more closely match the bright blueing of the Wingmaster? I will have it hot blued if necessary since buying an Express barrel is about half the cost of buying a Wingmaster barrel.

Thanks

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The different look is that the express barrel is not polished as much as the Wingmaster barrel. So adding blue won't help.

3. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

to get the Express barrel to match the Wingmaster finish would require stripping the finish, and polishing the metal and then re-blueing it. it might or might not, match when done.

5. RonAz

RonAz New Member

Thanks

Thanks you guys. I guess I hadn't thought about the fact that blueing wasn't really the issue; it is polishing. Maybe I'll just use it the way it is.

And Blueguns, when I called it the standard Express finish I meant the matte finish.

6. racer_x

racer_x New Member

That was my thought, even if u did send it off for hot blue that it still may not match without reblueing the whole gun.

7. Axxe55

for them to match completely, either both need to be stripped and bead blasted and the blued or both need to be polished then blued.

matte finish is cheaper for the manufacterer, because it takes out the man hours needed, to polish then blue the parts. a man cna bead blast parts in a few minutes and have them ready for the blueing tanks, polishing requires hours. hence the price difference.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  8. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Ive done 3 cold blues so far im a learning fool lol so even hand sanding both wouldnt bring a match?

9. Axxe55

maybe, maybe not. for them to match or as closely as possible, you would have to bring any parts back to the original base steel and polish them until all were polished the same. then equal amounts of blueing on all parts.

10. racer_x

racer_x New Member

so its all the base steel shine or scratch shine that the blue works? I mean duracoat an all aside.

11. Axxe55

the base metal is the original part with no coating or finish of any kind. parts that are blued, are polished on buffing wheels until they look almost like chome, polished. matte finished parts usually simply bead blasted then blued. blued or matte finish uses the same chemicals to acheive the finished look. the preparation is just different. blueing is just controled oxidizing or rusting.

don't understand your question about the duracoating.:confused:

12. racer_x

racer_x New Member

No ? about duracoat. The little ive done ended up with 2000 grit then the green pads by hand, never realy tryed to shine it before i started if that makes sence

13. Axxe55

i have never Duracoated, so i can't really comment on it as to specifics. i am sure it needs some sanding to provide adhesion just like paint would need on anything.

14. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Sorry axxe you missunderstood me about the duracoat. or i said it wrong. All the cold blue ive done ended with 2000 and green pads.

15. RonAz

RonAz New Member

Lots of information. None of it what I had hoped for. Oh well. Maybe I'll have the original barrel (30" and still in good shape) shortened to 26" and tapped for Rem Chokes. I can always sell the matte 26" on ebay.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  16. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Id run it with 26 that way you can build it back right if you ever wanted to sell it. As soon as you cut that 30 the wingmaster has lost alot of value. Just my 2cents

17. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

You can into you tube and do some surfing. There are many vids on refinishing and blueing guns and the different methods.Midway usa has a number of them also in you tube and advertise there blueing products.

18. RonAz

RonAz New Member

Yeah, I guess I'll just use the 26 as it is. It won't match, but it will still shoot. I'm not that good looking, why should my gun look better than me? Thanks for all the input.

19. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

That is an outstanding decision. Leave the Wingmaster intact. You might need to sell it one day. My hat is off to you. The game you take or the clay you bust won't know the difference.