??

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by jmnx33, Mar 3, 2013.

1. jmnx33

jmnx33 New Member

Does anyone think that it will be easy to find ammo one day, or is it always going to be this hard and so pricy?

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Things will be back to normal in 9-12 months.

3. jmnx33

jmnx33 New Member

Ok cool I really don't want to over pay for ammo if it will come back .

4. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Around here the thinking is that AVAILABILITY may go back to normal, but not at the prices we saw in the past.....

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yup - mabe quicker.

6. TheMightyFrenchman

TheMightyFrenchman New Member

I'm hoping that ammo AND gun availability starts to increase soon. This is ridiculous!

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, but it's still not as bad as during Klinton's reign. Back after the first AWB, everything was out of stock for over two years.

8. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Around here things are looking up as far as availability. As far as price it is still about what it was before SHTF. There has been some gouging( like the shop that charged me 35 bucks for 1 lb can of Titegroup) but fore the most part prices have not jumped much if any.

9. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Finding ammo is as easy as it's ever been; finding what you need not so.
    :rolleyes:

10. rockratt

Agree!! What you need is out there you just have to do some leg work( and road miles) to come up with it.

11. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Ya I picked a bad time to get into shooting WTF!!!

12. rockratt

Never a bad time to get into shooting. This is not the first time there has been shortages(all though it has been one of the more extreme that I have seen) and I doubt it will be the last..:)

13. indy36

indy36 New Member

I just continue on as best I can. I still buy. $40 for a 525 round box of Federal .22 LR CPHP? Okay, I'll take it. Cheaper than a round of golf. $18.00 for a box of 50 of 9mm? Okay. I'll take the daily limit, 2 boxes. 7.62x39, it's $6.99 for a box of 20. Okay, daily limit of 2 please. 9x18 for $19.00? Okay, I'll take that last box there. .38 Super for $23.00 for a box of 50? Yes please. .357 Magnum for $25? Gulp, swell, one please. This is how it is here in Indiana. Everything is 50% too high, but, if you don't get it today you can't shoot tomorrow...and who knows what availability and cost will be in 9 months.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  14. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Gun availability is already coming back.

Dealers are getting in stock. its marked up but at dealers maybe 20% (except CTD) and at private party still 60% over what it used to be.

But we don't see 100% markup anyone at least on rifles that are selling ( I follow the market in my state daily)

For Ammo I really do think it will be back to normal in a year or less.
    Just get enough for an emergency supply maybe one combat load 210 rounds. then to build a stash wait until it comes down.

Many suppliers are showing ammo coming in this summer

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I remembered the previous shortage and stocked up ahead. I sold off a case of Wolf 7.62x39 I did not need for what I paid for it when I traded off my mini 30 for a 308. I am in good shape but it is currently not replaceable. I need to get back to reloading now that it is warming up in the garage. Traded the 7.62x39 brass for 308 brass. Most of you would laugh at me for what I consider cold. It was 80 today and about 50 at night. I have been busy with other projects and reloading was not a priority since I have ammo. The fishing is starting to pick up so that might delay things some more.

16. indy36

indy36 New Member

50 at night? Ha ha. Dude, it's like 15 here right now.

17. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Same here. 50° in Michigan and I will have been ridding my motorcycle for about a month. Im thinking of taking my bike out next weekend and its only gonna be a high of 47°. At that temperature I will be wearing shorts with my windows down in my truck if not on my bike.

18. JolietGunner

JolietGunner New Member

Ya its about 20 degrees here.And I wish I could go fishing right now!

19. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

Unless the government keeps buying it all... :D

20. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

There seems to be quite a few folks thinking positive here lately, however basic supply and demand hasn't changed. It still sells out the second it hits the shelf, and it's still over priced in the secondary market. The only difference I see now is that people have stopped paying the secondary market top end prices. I still see daily listings for .223 at .80 or more each, but they aren't moving. I periodically list some at lower prices just to see how many folks contact me in order to gauge prices.....they aren't even moving on the .65 range anymore. More folks seem to be inclined to hit local retailers repeatedly until they score some. Given that, the supply level will remain low for quite some time to come in my opinion. It won't get better until you can walk into your local sporting goods store and it's on the shelf, which won't happen until either people stop panic bulk buying, or retailers simply price it beyond it's acceptable limits to allow for shelves to refill. The manufacturers are running full tilt day and night, trying to pocket as much as they can during a large volume "season" that has been created by current events. I wouldn't expect to ever see .223 back to the .32 range, perhaps the new low will be in the .40 range.