80% receiver questions

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by NitroxAZ, Feb 9, 2010.

1. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Does anyone have any experience with an 80% receiver? Looking for a new project soon and would appreciate any info.

2. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Do you have the receiver yet, or know which features need to be completed?
    What kind of tooling do you have to work with?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010

3. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I don't have one. I wanted to know more about it and what it takes to complete before I ponied up and bought one.

4. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Machining skill is required, and you'd better be good, or you have a paperweight.

AK flats take less skill, but require heat treating. And a bending jag.

5. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Not so sure I want that expensive of a possible paperweight.

6. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  7. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

Yeah you better be a good machinist (and I'm not) and have access to a shop with tooling. Not to mention a good mill :eek:

8. m72law

m72law New Member

why not just buy a 100% lower?...@ 55.00bucks @ RGUNS...yeck my friend would charge me atleast that to complete a 80% lower..:/millling machines are not cheap...even for the cheap ones..and it does help to know how to use them and read blue prints and have the right mics...i have put a few ak kits together and benning is right about the heat treating...but its not to hard...really all that needs heat treated on a ak flat is the fire control group holes...also you dont need a bending jig...all you have to do is scribe along the bottom of the flat with a good straight edge & cutting tool..i do this by getting my measurements right on the flat..drawing lines down the flat(masking tape)works good...then remeasure..then take my die grinder w/ cutting wheel...and going very slow...stay with the line...all you need is a good half way deep lines across the flat...when done...just fold...then weld...of course weld your rails in first

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I found a website that showed how to complete an 80% lower with nothing more then a drill press. All the hard machining has already been done. Your press would need a bed of some sort to hold it and you'd need a way to set it up. We're talking movements of .001" or less.

10. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Sounds like I would be biting off more than I could chew.

11. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Oh, it can be done, but it takes more skill and tools than I have.

I looked at several projects, and as much as I'd love to make my own AK/AR/1911, I could see an errant drill ruining the whole thing.:(

12. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Awwww..... come on guys. No sense of adventure? :)

13. hillmillenia

hillmillenia New Member

A drill press that holds a .001 tolerance? not from Harbor freight I'll wager! :D

14. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

No....Mills work much, much better. I don't mean a cheap one either.

15. PoofNoEyebrows

PoofNoEyebrows New Member

They make a jig that will hold the lower in place for you and will give you guide holes to run your drill press.
    The problem(s) are
    1. The tight tolerance for an AR.
    2. Regular drill bits do not make a round hole. you will need to ream
    3. Aluminum being so soft can show tooling marks very easy even from being clamped to tight.

I have a paperweight of my own. I would suggest just buying a 100%. Even here in Kalifornia they are only 130 bucks minus fire control group and hardware set.