80% Lower receiver question.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by beastmode986, Nov 3, 2013.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I am now going to use this thread to ask all the questions about my build. That way I dont need to start a ton of threads asking questions. Can a mod change the title to " my build questions" or is there a way for me to do it myself ? Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

80% lowers are not considered a firearm by the BATF, just a chunk of metal. according to BATF, a person may build a firearm from scratch as long as it a legal to own firearm and meets all the BATF rules. if you are building a rifle, it still has to have at least a 16" barrel and be 26" OAL to be legal unless you register it as a SBR. means you still have to build it according to what you can buy legally. you can't build or manufacter it with the intention of selling for a profit. according to the BATF, it does not have to have a serial number, but they do recommend that you do so, to save future hassles.

now with you being underage and living in California, there may be state laws that you have to comply with. these are things i have no knowledge of. with the political climate and laws in that state in regards to firearms, it may even be prohibited.

if his milling machine is set up to do it, IMO, yes it should yield much better results if done correctly.

$80 seems a bit high to me. seems like for not much more you can buy a lower that's ready to go. might do some more research on prices of lowers and 80% lowers and see what the market is like in regards to price.

3. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I know this about California. You MUST use a Bullet Button. If you don't know, this is a special button for the Magazine release.

You will not be able to sell/give the Lower to anybody outside of a Family Member which can inherit, unless your City/State Law prevents this. At which time it then goes to a Law Enforcement Officer for distruction. This is only for the Lower. the Upper you can do with it as you like.

Not knowing your Age, California may have a Law restricting you from owning a Firearm. Some States it's 18 for Rifles, 21 for all other types of Firearms. Check your State Firearm Laws.
    Del

4. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

I have been pricing 80% lowers lately and unfortunately they are extremely overpriced right now. I don't know why that is.

I haven't found one in stock online for less than $100. Now from what I remember you could pick one up for around $40-60 about a year or so ago.

5. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Yeah 80 percent lower still seem too high for me .PSA does have a lower for $59 though great price. It is a Blem lower but a awesome price

Palomito State Armory

6. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

I read that BATF was after persons who milled or allowed the use of their machining for the completion of a receiver. Only the owner can actually complete his receiver. May be wrong on this as it is a bit cloudy maybe members can clarify the use of a machine shop or CNC equipment.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the part i read a few years ago, was the person who owned the 80% reciever had to do the actual work for it to be legal. but could be counseled, assisted and instructed on how to do the project. i you take one to a machine shop and drop it off and they do the work, that's not legal. the person that owns the reciever has to have his hands on the project. a machinist can assist you and even help you, he just can't do the work for you.

8. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

So can someone tell me if i need to anodize it? Can it be cerakoted instead? how much does it usually cost?

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Anodizing should be done, as it gives a certain ammount of surface hardness to the aluminum. Probably run you another $30-50 by the time you deal with shipping. I'm going to say, you are usually better off picking up a finished lower

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

There are lowers that are already anodized. Only the part you machine would not be, but it seems to me they are not critical surfaces anyway. Not all anodizing adds hardness. Only certain types, (hard coat), and at least around here would add much more than $50, just for the lot charge.
    If it were me, I'd buy an already anodized one, have my father's buddy help me, forget about the shiny interior surfaces, and have fun. Sometimes it's not about the $ savings, ya know?

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

This is not necessarily true. If the you use the receiver for a rimfire like a 22lr etc, you do NOT need to have a mag lock on it.

$80 for a 80% is an average price for an alloy type receiver.

12. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Yes, buying a finished one is inevitably cheaper than finishing one yourself.

The main reason why I chose to go this route is to make myself an ar pistol.

13. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

ok thanks guys, now so i dont have to start a new thread ill just ask all my questions here. Can someone tell me the main advantages and dis advantages of having a carbine, rifle, or mid length gas system?

14. markshere2

markshere2 New Member

+1

Having legal firearms that are not in a government database has a value that transcends dollars.

15. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Read the sticky post in the AR forum section. It will tell you exactly what you need to know much better than I can.