80% lower crackdown

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by JonM, Mar 15, 2014.

1. JonM

JonM Moderator

2. Ironhorse944

Ironhorse944 New Member

Currently from what I understand it's only the polymer lowers with the color coded centers that make it easier for the novice to drill out, regardless it will be just another stepping stone for the next assault. Hope the company stands strong or has a break-in or a fire!

3. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

I hope he wins out in this thing! He gets my vote for best gun store in California!

4. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  5. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, it's the polymer lowers.

Ares put up a big sign advertising the sale of "unregistered" AR-15 rifles in the People's Demokratic Republik of CA. That's like poking a big western diamondback rattlesnake with a short stick. Bet the CA AG asked for "assistance" from the BATFE.

6. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Wow... I didn't know they got broken into like that, I only knew that they were being threatened... This is very sad, only in California.. Stay strong guys!

7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yes, this is extremely troubling. They took the customer logs. I wonder what the requirement is for recording each and every customer's personal information for an 80% lower? My inclination as a customer would be to not provide the information and pay in cash.

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

gee, haven't these guys ever heard of the 4th amendment?

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Sorry Axxe, I don't think the administration read the Constitution,

before they wiped their asses with it, and flushed it down

the toilet.
    :(

My bet is the only thing worse than this "crack down" is the

"crack up" when some poor schmo buys an 80%, and drills it wrong...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

My name? Sure. Wolf. Theron J. Wolf. Address? 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Mocking Bird Heights, CA (google it). My wife is shopping and took the credit card, but I have cash. :D

11. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The poor guy living there has bought 80% lowers, 100-round magazines and full-auto parts...without ever knowing it! :eek:

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

On the face of it; I cannot imagine what the ATF would have to say about the polymer lowers. Wouldn't they have had to approve of them first?
    And someone said Ares is poking a rattlesnake with a short stick, which I agree with. They have been going around doing so much yelling over their sign....I get 10 or more E-mails from them a week, the You Tube videos.....someone was bound to notice, and start giving them some crap....What good is any of this going to do them, if the ATF just goes in and shuts them down?

13. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

Isn't that Herman and Lily's place?

It's my understanding that 80% lowers are not registered to begin with, so if you pay cash there should not be a record of it anyway. Now if they are completing the lowers themselves, then selling them, now they must have a serial number of some kind and be transferred like any other completed lower.

14. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

That's messed up!

15. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I also believe they're not the only ones to sell the polymer lowers.
    And if it's about their sign that is just stupid.
    sign has nothing illegal about it.

EZ

16. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

They'll never say it was about the sign.

17. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

If they took the A&D book then the customer's name and NICS # are all that's in that book. However, I believe the ATF can reference that NICS number to information input into the NICS system such as: name, age, state of residence, height, weight, social, place of birth, and type of firearm.

If the ATF took the actual 4473 Ares keeps on file then they'll have the customer's actuall physical address and driver's license number.

With 80% lowers the only information the ATF can get about customers is what Ares put into their book keeping software since a 4473 is not necessary for the purchase of an 80% lower.

18. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Did they do something else to make it even easier? I thought I read something about 2 different types of polymer being used by them so that it was incredibly easy to complete the lower because the drill almost stopped itself when it hit the thicker polymer.

This may not be true and may be internet rumors.

Also I heard that there was an illegal gun manufacturing ring busted in California and they had a lot of Ares parts so this may not be directed at Poly lowers but they could be under investigation for possibly knowingly supporting an illegal gun manufacturer. Again this is just internet rumor that I'm hearing and I don't have any news articles to support it.

19. JonM

JonM Moderator

If only our government overlords could get rid of that pesky shall not be infringed part of the second ammendment... oh nm the supreme court ignores it anyway. Nothing to see here

20. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

The term "80 percent lower" is a figment of someone's imaginative marketing ploy. The BATFE has never defined the term. The BATFE rules that the "unfinished" lower meets it's definition of a firearm receiver or not. Yep, the BATFE will not say how that is accomplished.

A good read on the polymer lower:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543665