80% lower build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by aruiz42, Oct 7, 2013.

1. aruiz42

aruiz42 New Member

My one on this site done it yet? If you don't know what it is it's basically the following in the most simple terms
    - a non registered legal to buy lower ( no FFL needed shipped right to your door)
    -it's about 80% complete you just need to drill out all the parts using a jig you also buy... There is supposedly tutorials out there and most of them come with instructions
    - legal to own not sell according to ATF

I just want to know how hard it is to a complete novice... Didn't find anything using the search from the app...

2. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

If you just want one for yourself, it is a pretty expensive proposition. Much cheaper to buy a stripped lower. I built one last year that the parts would fit in, but it was too ugly for me to put a picture of the build on the forum. I might try it again in the future. Takes a lot of patience, and be prepared to go through a few drill bits. You need plenty of work space, and a lot of time for your first one. Just trying to give you a heads up.

3. aruiz42

aruiz42 New Member

Trying to make a project with my friend... Is a milling machine necessary or a drill and a lot of bits good enough?

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Drill press for sure , not sure how well a hand drill would work. If you have access to a mill , the tooling and know how to run it properly it will make your job much easier

5. Yunus

Yunus New Member

polymer 80% lowers exist and are much easier to work with. I've seen youtube videos that claim they can be complete in under 90 minutes.

I've never personally seen or worked with one just watched a video.

6. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Yeah, I saw the vid as well. Might try one.

7. aruiz42

aruiz42 New Member

Well I went on rockethub.com and funded a couple of companies and they give you the lowers once they are funded... So basically got some for dirt cheap... Might take a while to get here but either way good investment... If it does not work out I could still sell them for between 50 and 100 each... Only bought for around 25 each... But I think if me and my friend out our heads together and try hard we could have unregistered AR's! I'll look into the polymer one thanks

8. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I don't understand the laws well enough.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  9. aruiz42

aruiz42 New Member

Well the ATF site states that as long as you can legally posses a gun in your state if you build a firearm for personal use and not for resale... I'm pretty sure you still need to follow magazine restrictions... I'm from NJ

10. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

11. aruiz42

aruiz42 New Member

I'm in nj what would I look up... I have no idea what to look up

12. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

A machine shop that will rent the CNC with the specs programmed in. That's how they do it here. You walk up and mount it , close the door and press start. Just search local machine shops and call around.

13. aruiz42

aruiz42 New Member

Would they have the specs or do I need to download it? I'm very new to this thanks for all the info... Google machine shop NJ? Then call and ask of the rent out their CNC mill?

14. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Ya , if they are smart they already have it programed in. I not they can get the specs on line. But then It takes hours to program. Best bet is to see if anyone already has it set up. My guy has it for AR15 and AR 10.

15. Yunus

Yunus New Member

16. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

17. JRAndres99

JRAndres99 New Member

They do but any program written in standard Gcode/Mcode can probably be ran in any shop in the nation.