80% Lower Build Legal at Range?

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by WhiteFang, May 5, 2020.

1. WhiteFang

WhiteFang New Member

Need advice. I plan on doing my own build starting with a milled lower. All legal parts, action and barrel length.

Is it OK to take such a platform to the range? How do range owners look on this? Is it frowned on? Will I get kicked out? If someone notices the lower is milled or doesn't have a number will someone report me? Does anyone even care about this at most ranges? Is it even legal to be asking this question?

Or is it safer to just start with a serialized lower?

I want to do everything legally but I really want to do my own build since I always build everything and my ideal parts lists covers many different manufacturers.

2. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

You need to note your state because they are not legal in some states.

And if the range nazis squawk, then walk. They do not deserve your $$$.

3. WhiteFang

WhiteFang New Member

Thanks for responding. Yes, totally legal in my state to build and own (as of now). Just wondering about range rules and attitude of management toward home builds.

4. Caveman Jim

Shouldn’t be a problem, I’ve never seen them looking at serial numbers. Are you just paranoid that you are doing something perfectly legal and some FUDD RSO might get all uppity and kick you off the range?
    This is the division that’s killing America.

Rant over...

towboater, W.T. Sherman and SRK97 like this.
  5. austin92

austin92 Well-Known Member

I’d shoot on private property or form 1 it if you’re worried.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  6. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man Well-Known Member

If it is legal in the state you live in it should be legal at your range, if not you need to find another range. I own many home built guns & take them to the range to show off. The only thing almost everyone asks is if I can build one for them. NO I can't it illegal to build for someone else.
    If you feel safer with a serialized lower you can buy a finished lower or serialize your own with what ever number you want & finish it.

towboater and Caveman Jim like this.
  7. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

one of mine is a Cannon Rebel T-1. by a remarkable coincidence it has the same SN as my Canon Rebel T-1 SLR

one of mine is a Rockbox AU517. by a remarkable coincidence it has the same SN as my Sansui AU517

one of mine is an AR-670-1. by a remarkable coincidence I used this as an SN on a large property perimeter monitor I designed

the two as yet unfinished will receive similar treatment

I left the Canon Rebel T-1, the Sansui AU517 and the AR-670-1 to friends in my will. there is no mention of any AR-15 in my will.

8. Caveman Jim

Just a though.
    Registration leads to Confiscation...

towboater likes this.
  9. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Why would you put any serial # on an 80% lower unless your state requires it? To me,that is a waste of time & money.

To the OP,If it's legal in your state to assemble an 80% lower,then it's OK to take it to any range that you wish. To the RO's it's just another AR being shot at the range.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  10. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

I can prove it's mine if needed, or not, as circumstances require. is this not obvious?

11. WhiteFang

WhiteFang New Member

OK, everyone thanks so much for responding. It sounds like it won't be a problem. Also, I plan on starting lessons soon before I build anything so I may just ask the guy at the range what he thinks.

Normally I'd much rather obey the law and go through all formal procedures, but I question if that is a smart move right now. Sorry if this is a taboo subject but I've been doing a lot of research lately on the legal side of all the parts I will be using, such as barrel length and stock types since I want this to be a fully legal build, and it seems pretty clear to me that whoever is making these gun laws knows absolutely nothing about firearms or safety. It does not take a genius to see that the real reason they want people to register is so they know where to find it. I know I'm not alone in thinking this since most of the DIY parts are going out of stock.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  12. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

I've been going to a public range that has Ohio Dept of natural resources personnel as RSO for over 20 years, and not once did any one of them or any body else came up to scrutinized any of my firearms for serial number markings etc....

now, I believe that would be a totally different situation, if you somehow call attention to yourself and the cop looks as your firearm and it doesn't have a serial on it or other markings.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  13. Caveman Jim

Convo started.

14. Mister Dave

Mister Dave Well-Known Member

Per the ATF:

Are “80%” or “unfinished” receivers illegal?

Receiver blanks that do not meet the definition of a "firearm" are not subject to regulation under the Gun Control Act (GCA). ATF has long held that items such as receiver blanks, "castings" or "machined bodies" in which the fire-control cavity area is completely solid and un-machined have not reached the "stage of manufacture" which would result in the classification of a firearm according to the GCA.

The following three photos are provided as examples. The first receiver has a solid, un-machined fire-control cavity area with no holes or dimples for the selector, trigger, or hammer pins. It does not meet the GCA definition of a firearm. The second receiver, shown from the top, likewise has a solid, un-machined fire-control cavity area. It does not meet the GCA definition of a firearm. The third receiver has a partially machined fire-control cavity and does meet the GCA definition of a firearm.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/are-“80”-or-“unfinished”-receivers-illegal

More detailed Q&A at Ammoland:

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/atf-answers-questions-on-80-receiver-blanks/

Even more detail and restrictions by state are listed on this page:

https://www.80lowerjig.com/blogs/80-lower-blog/80-percent-lower-laws-reviewed-state-federal-2020/

Is it legal to shoot a gun without a serial number? If you haven't figured it out after reading these, read them again.

Caveman Jim, towboater and 7.62 Man like this.
  15. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Just don't. Guy at the range doesn't know laws. If you really feel the need to ask someone, pay a lawyer for advice. Nothing other than a lawyer. No police officers, no firearms dealers, no range guys.

What state are you in?

Caveman Jim likes this.
  16. WhiteFang

WhiteFang New Member

It's legal in my state (as of now), I made sure on that.

Also, that's good advice about asking a lawyer. The laws are changing so fast these days, only they would really know the answer.

Honestly, I've decided just to play it safe and start with a serialized lower and register it. It's not worth taking any chances.

Maybe it's not a good topic for a public thread. So we'll just leave it at that.

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Whitefang, you have a PM from me. Nothing bad.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  18. WhiteFang

WhiteFang New Member

Ok, got it, great info, thanks for the message.

I'm going to take lessons at the local range before building so I can get plenty of advice and know what I'm doing.

19. W.T. Sherman

W.T. Sherman Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

According to the description of a receiver in the law the ATF is supposedly bound to, an AR lower is not a receiver. The ATF stretched the definition and has lost several court cases. They get away with it through intimidation therefore is the ATF an organized crime syndicate? Like everyone else on this forum I cant afford to fight them so I am stuck with it.