80% ar-15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by bgg556, Jan 9, 2013.

1. bgg556

bgg556 New Member

Are ar15 that are 80 % illegal

2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

They are 80% finished and require mill work , Mainly the selector hole and trigger pin holes need drilled and the trigger pocket needs milled out to be a finished product

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

They are not firearms by Federal definition. They are not something one can jsut finish out with a dremel. A lot of folks buy them in hopes of making an "untraceable" AR. Most find 20% is still a bunch of work.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First, welcome to the forum. Stop by the intro thread and say hello.

Second, "Legal" means "complies with the law". Question is- WHICH law? We have 50 (or 54 according to some folks) states, plus FEDERAL law. And YOU, sirrah, did not specify which state.

Now, using my Moderator Superpowers, I detect a trace of a Jersey accent in your speech. Your first question will be is an AR-15 rifle- complete, whole and functioning- legal in Jersey.

I am not a lawyer- but the answer is "Maybe". Jersey has restrictions of what THEY call an Assault Rifle. To acquire an Assault Rifle in Jersey, you need a permit. It is my understanding they do not like to give those out. However, there is a link to Jersey gun laws at the bottom- click on it, and read carefully- and talk to some of the gun shop owners there in Jersey.

Now, as to the 80% lower- under both State and Federal law- it is NOT yet a firearm- it is a lump of metal. Lumps of metal are not regulated by gun laws. It IS legal to make your own gun for your own use (not for sale)- but again, Jersey has permit requirements. And you may find that final 20% of precision machining is harder than you think unless you are a tool and die maker with a lathe and a milling machine.

Here is the link: http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/062408_title13ch54.pdf

PS- you have some of the worst gun laws in the US to deal with. Thought about moving to a free place? Several South of you.....

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Y'Know come to think of it, there are lots of AR-15s that are only 80% right now. Builds that are waiting on parts! :p

6. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member