80% 1911 build

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by superc, Oct 27, 2020.

1. superc

superc Active Member

It starts
    20200327_111908.jpg

Almost complete. 20200426_163227.jpg

Completed
    20200510_230732.jpg

2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

That is a good looker. How does is shoot?

3. superc

superc Active Member

Here is the test firing done just before I began applying the finish and changing out the front sight to a fiber optic version and fitted the new grips and an ambi safety.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  4. superc

superc Active Member

Here are more details about the build process and the firing sequence I got really bored this year sitting at home for months...

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    schnuffleupagus, Viking and mrm14 like this.
  5. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

I love it when a build fires so well after just being built. I only had one problem with a AR 80% and it wasn't with the build, it was a reload of a mil casing that had the primer pocket that may have been reamed out too big and when the round was fired the spent primer popped out and fell under the trigger and the next round wouldn't fire because the hammer wouldn't reset, got it cleared in a few minutes and everything worked great. I'd love to have a small milling machine to build 80% firearms like your .45, it does look good.

6. superc

superc Active Member

Thank you. So far this build has been 100% with ball ammo and JHPs. I would say 99.99% good with SWC, I did a 500 rd firing of Wilson SWC ammo and had 2 failure to feeds which is quite acceptable to me. Gun is more accurate than I am but at least I can usually hit the 10" plate at 25 Yds. Boom-ding, boom-ding, etc.
    I, for the most part, don't reload anything semi auto. That is because most of my shooting is back yard and the brass mostly disappears somewhere, that away into the grass as soon as I fire. Hopefully in a few more years I will have a property completely full of brass cases with no grass needing mowing. That may actually happen because a local trainer has been speaking with me about periodically running 3 or 4 students through my range. When that happens I may soon have enough visible brass to start crawling around picking up fired .556 brass and enough of it to unbox the reloading dies. :)
    .45 Win mag in my Wildey is the worse for brass disappearing. Someone gave me the gun a year ago and I have run a few hundred rounds through it and have yet to spot a single fired case. I actually fired some with someone standing behind me to spot the brass and yet not a single case was found. Now that I would have reloaded if I could find it. LoL
    I learned a good lesson while running store bought 9mm reloads through with a friend I have been training Bang, bang, poof. Lesson learned, avoid commercial reloads. Luckily both she and I were paying attention and although chambered the next round was not fired. Sure enough that bullet was in the barrel.
    Real Glock 17 on top, 19ish build on the bottom. I added a fiber optic sight, but that's the only real mod I have done to it. About 2,000 rounds so far with no bobbles.
    Real anbd build.jpg
    I hope I never have a primer drop out in any of my cartridges. My own AR build is also working just perfectly. I call it my Coyote *we have them around here* rifle. No malfunctions. A 20 shot group at 36 yards is one ragged hole, so I am happy.
    20190820_191346.jpg

Viking likes this.