8 sided barrel

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 2skeeter2cool, Feb 4, 2014.

1. 2skeeter2cool

2skeeter2cool New Member

Ok here it is: I inherited a 8 sided barrel rifle,the barrel is 18" long, lever action made by marlin fire arms in new haven,ct! i have only the following info: this a number located in front of the lever action as 19178! I want to know everything about this rifle,for the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanx jim:)

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Got any pictures?
    Marlin produced several different 22LR lever actions with an octagon barrel.

4. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

If that is all the info you have, it was manufactured in 1888 and shoots boolits.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The Marlin Mdl. of 1888 is the ultra-rare top ejecting lever action. There were only about 4,100 made 1888-1890. They were chambered in the 44-40, 38-40 etc. The Marlin 39 action first appeared in the Mdl. 1891 .22 rim-fire this was Marlins first and best .22 lever action rifle.:)

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

7. 2skeeter2cool

2skeeter2cool New Member

Sorry for the delayed response! The picture you sent is exactly like the 1 i have,thanx alot you have been a really big help :) :)jim

8. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Thats a pretty popper for sure! A classic Lever, a real beauty!

9. 2skeeter2cool

2skeeter2cool New Member

I really do appreciate the information as it made my day x 100000000! with that being said i have another rifle that i could use a guesstimate (appraisal) if you dont mind? It is a 22 cal single shot lever action rifle model b sharpshooter,1923 and it is in working condition. hope you can help me

Attached Files:

10. 2skeeter2cool

2skeeter2cool New Member

I also have a 12 gauge shotgun,break action,single shot -w- the only info available? champion patd,apr,2 01,apr,15 02 Iver johnson arms fitchburg ma? hope some of this will lead to more information,or? In the photo it is the 3rd 1 down! thanx in advance :) jim

Attached Files:

11. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That is a rifle put out by the Page-Lewis Arms Co., which was manufactured by Stevens & its worth what ever someone will pay for it, I have been offered $1000.00 for my Stevens Favorite & turned it down, a couple more 00 & I might think about it..............

Attached Files:

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The shotgun, that`s what it is a Iver Johnson Champion, built by Iver Johnson & the bottom one is what looks like a Western field made by Mossburg & the 2nd one I can`t tell for sure, here is a Pic. of my Western Field 48A..........

Attached Files:

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

WHy should we play guess how old is my rifle when you can just call marlin. All firearms manufacturers have an archivist. Call Marlin to see exactly what you have and what it might be worth.

14. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Why you want ta do a newbe like that John ? He wants to talk about his firearms, I thought thats why we were here.........:mad:.......:confused:..........:(

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well it's not like anyone here on the forum would actually have any knowledge about an old gun.

i'd rather discuss guns with people who actually have an interest in old guns myself.

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

You DON`T pay no (achtung) to him 2skeeter2cool, you go ahead ask all the questions & post all the pictures you want, thats why were here !...............:D

17. 2skeeter2cool

2skeeter2cool New Member

r you for real?

I think alot of the members here would love to have you crawl back under your rock and stay there:)

18. Axxe55

ummmm....the remark wasn't directed at you. and i hope you are just confused with who to direct your assinine comments to.

but if they are directed at me, i wish you luck in getting any help from most of the members here. most of them don't care for rude and thoughtless people.

i will give you the benefit of the doubt and allow you to explain your remarks or apologise for them is you so choose to.

19. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I don`t think that was directed at you Axx, I think it was directed at John, but he is new & I don`t think he knows that john can be a butthead sometimes !....................LOL

20. Axxe55

exactly why i was going to give him the benefit of the doubt and allow him to clarify his comments or not.