7mm x 30 Waters info

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by rodwhaincamo, Oct 29, 2009.

1. rodwhaincamo

rodwhaincamo New Member

I've really got my heart set on a Contender, and I want a decent med long range (250 yds) game getter. The best I can find is the 7mm x 30 Waters. My father told me long ago that a friend of his handloaded him some really hot 30-30s for his Marlin since it was built on the 45-70 action. I'm wondering if the Contender can handle this too. If so how is this achieved? Slower burning powder or just more of it? My father said his hot 30-30s were nearly 308 Winchesters. And I'm curious just what kind of velocity can be achieved with a 140 grn bullet. Anyone?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, even with a VERY strong action, the BRASS sets limits of its own. In a single shot, you are not limited to flat tipped bullets, but can safely use Spitzers. Most reloading manuals have seperate recipes for loads ONLY in contenders. as do powder and bullet company websites. Be very cautious of ANYONE'S "pet load" if they cannot refer you to a loading table from a bonafide company. Of course, I COULD just give you my pet load- it is a 50/50 mix of Bulls:eek:eye and IMR over a magnum primer- and be sure to crimp REAL hard......

3. rodwhaincamo

rodwhaincamo New Member

Looks like I can't get close to achieving my 2700 fps w/ 139 grn bullets with this cartridge. Thanks guys!