7mm Rem Mag

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by jpattersonnh, Sep 26, 2013.

1. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Desided to take it out of mothballs. Found 2.25 boxes of ammo I had bought before I started reloading for it. 1.25 Remington 150gr core loct, 1 Winchester supreme 150gr. . All have $14.00 pricetags on them. Think the old girl will head to thee range, then out this fall. The Remington always shot out to 300 yards without issue. Handloads are better, and I have almost more 7mm bullets then any other (.308 are 1st), but I've been noticing she has been creaping up to the front of the safe in the last few months. This has to be a sign. The hunting gods are speaking. Anna Purna, What do you think? My Zen is back?

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I think it was a great post, until you said the old girl, and then Annapurna in the same paragraph! :p

But ya, I think even 7mm's need lovins' :D

3. jpattersonnh

Not the same sentence!! I used this Savage 110 for years, then it went into the safe. Pulled her out a few years ago and put a new scope on her. Sighted her and back in the safe. Now I'm thinking I've always had great hunts with her and maybe I should start scaring the rest by taking her out again. Not the prettiest rifle I own, but every person that see's her seems to fondle her in envy. One of those early Clinton Era guns. Thank god he never touched her, she would have to be boiled and exercised. No Blue dress involved.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

JP, dang right she needs to go out hunting!:D

my Remington M700 in 7mm RM is a tackdriver with the loads i worked up for it, and as gentle as my 308 as far as recoil. love my 7mm's! :D

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

What does one hunt in NH with the 7mm, Moose?

6. jpattersonnh

You could, but these eastern moose succumb to .308 just as well. It is more a distance thing. Even though most whitetail are harvested under 100 yards, there are still shots out to 400. I bought her with the intension of going back to the Rockies. Makes a dandy Black bear round here. You can never be over gunned!

7. jpattersonnh

Agreed on all counts, Sorry you came second on responses, but ladies 1st.
    This rifle has never chambered a round it does not shoot well. 120..175gr. For some reason this old 150 gr was always the hammer of thor on whitetail. It is a *****cat as far as recoil. It is a Sierra lite, under 8lb scoped.

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

9. Axxe55

not a problem JP! being a gentleman to a lady doesn't hurt my feelings!:D

my usual load is a 140 gr. bullet using IMR 4895 powder. i have some 162 gr bullets i want to work up for it though.

the IMR 4895 powder is a slow burning powder and helps gentle the recoil a lot. it makes for some danged accurate loads in my rifle as well.

10. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I have a pre accu-trigger 110 in 7mm Rem. Mag and the thing is a tackdriver. I put a nice piece of glasss on it but still need to do something about the craptastic plastic stock it came with. Any ideas?

11. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would watch ebay. You might luck up and find a original wood stock for a 110. You can always put another crappy plastic stock on the Savage.

12. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Do you have any experience with Houge stocks? I have a couple grips on revolvers and I like them enough to consider buying a full stock.

13. jpattersonnh

Mine is pre accu-trigger also. Uses an allen key for the bolt, not a screw driver.
    The wood stock is not heavy at all.

Axxe, I've been loading 120..140gr sp's and Barnes 140 and 160gr. When Barnes changed the name of the XFB to TSX they discounted them on their site.
    I have enough hunting bullets for the rest of my life. I like IMR4831, I also use it for 6.5x55.

14. jpattersonnh

15. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Thx for the info,,,,I may be making a purchase. I have never been crazy about laminatated stocks but that one is sharp.

16. jpattersonnh

I've purchased 2. The Small action Mauser took some fitting for my sons rifle, but the large ring Mauser was done in a few minutes. The Savage is completely finished. They do make them in Walnut also. What letter series is your Rifle?? Mine is an F.

17. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

JP,

You need to take the old girl hunting! It was funny you must have been reading my mind. I as always am taking off for Texas the first week and a half of November for our annual hunt with the gang at the camp. I was cleaning some of my rifles just this past week and there almost standing and shouting out was my Remington CDL 7MM Rem Mag looking at me. Almost saying "Take Me! Take Me!. Last year I for the first time had made myself leave her in the safe since I had just made a great deal on a Howa 1500 270 Cal Rifle with Leupold Gold Ring 3X9 at the local Sheriff's auction. And knew if I took the Remington it would be hard for me not to use it. Since I have all the confidence in the world in her! But I wanted to see how the Howa 270 performed which it did fine. My shots were under 150 yards. But the 7 MM Rem. Mag is my favorite hunting rifle at least for Texas where as you know a 300 yard shot are likely. So take your old girl hunting! :D

18. jpattersonnh

I've been doing the same with my rifles. Take the 6.5x55 or 9.3. We are talking years. But now that I have new brass to reload, once I shoot it, I'm stoked. I've been loading the same 10 cases for about 10 years. 2 or 3 at a time. Looking for the ammo was the 1st part after the 1st 1.25 box. Having 83 rounds of commercail is many years of hunting. I like the fact that you state 300 yards. 400 for me is really pushing the envelope with this rifle. 300 yards is doable off hand. 200 yards is a walk in the park. I also like the 2-10x38mm scope on her. Everything is in visible scope range. Never know when that 50 yard shot will present itself. She will be going out this year! Maybe one of our forum brothers in Tx will invite us down for a hunt!!

19. Axxe55

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  20. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Get that rifle into the field,,, my custom Czech '98 Mauser in 7mm Remington mag, is my favorite rifle. It has taken, deer, hogs, elk, and a bison. My pet load uses a 160 grain Nosler Partition and 65 grains of Reloader 22 powder. It is accurate and those partitions are very effective on game. Stoke up some rounds and enjoy her company in the field. Mine has an old Bishop laminated stock which does add weight but negates recoil very well.