7mm-08 hunting bullet?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Apex-Predator, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

I am new to 7mm-08 and need some help picking a bullet to use, I have a few that have grouped well for me and wanted some input on what you would use for smallish southern whitetail.
    120gr Pro Hunter, 3100fps shoots one ragged hole at 100yards with H380
    140gr Game King 2900fps shooting .75" with Big Game
    150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip shooting 2750fps and .75" groups
    160gr Deep Curl, 2600fps shooting just under an inch
    I have always used pretty heavy for caliber bullets in the past but that little 120gr is confidence inspiring and alot of fun to shoot with it's near zero recoil, but I have alot of faith in the terminal performance of the Ballistic Tips and Game Kings seeing as that is what I have used alot in the past, and the newfangled Deep Curl is fascinating with it's huge expansion but even pushing the limits is kinna slow in the little 7mm-08.
    Deer around here are on the smallish side and shots will be close for the most part, all of ours were within 200yards last year, and the largest one was around 170lbs.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

140 grain Hornady SST, I use the 150 in my 308.

3. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Funny that you should mention the 139gr SST (yes it is 139 and not 140gr) because that was the bullet I planned on using, but sadly my rifle HATES that bullet and won't even keep me on the paper at 100yd with it, does not like the 154gr SST either. That Browing is very bullet picky I have tried a dozen bullets in it with as many powders. My 30-06 and 308 both like the 150gr SSTs though.

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

They don`t call em Game Kings for nothing................

5. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

It looks like you have a 'keeper' with this rifle!:cool:
    I would go with the game kings, but it sounds like they all are very accurate in your rifle.;)
    What rifle is it?
    I think the 7-08 is the best 'southern' caliber out there!;)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  6. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Browning A-Bolt II, after a year I am just now getting it dialed in well, and it has been a challenge I mean to tell you. I almost sold it out of frustration on a couple occasions.

7. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Only concern with using the Sierra bullets is overexpansion, that is above both of their intended impact speeds, my 06 likes a 165gr Game King at 2900fps too but it is so destructive on deer inside 100 yards that I hate to use it, ever seen a 9.5" exit wound? That thing is plain nasty, my brother loves it though and has shot several deer with it, all of them hit anywhere near the neck or vitals was DRT the only one that made it 15 feet was the doe he accidentally gut shot. Exit wounds all range from fist sized to OMG! Meat damage was worse then ballistic tips but I don't fault the Game Kings for that, they are designed for longer ranged hunting with impacts a couple hundred fps below that.

8. JimRau

You did say small deer did you not? If you put the bullet in the 'boiler room' the only 'damage' would be to the ribs. But if you are concerned about the shoulder and you want the option to take quartering shots try the Nosler Partition (140 gr), they are old but they work VERY well for all around big game hunting.:cool:

9. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

Yes I know all about Partitions, I have them for my 6.5x55 and 270s but sadly have not found any reasonably priced for my 7mm yet, BassPro has them but for $40 a box of 50! I paid $26 per box for my other calibers at the local gun store. I practice with what I hunt with and practicing with Partitions at $40 a box could get real expensive real quick, besides penetration is often not an issue on these deer only the local hogs. Accubonds are nice too, but again no luck on the 7mm I have them for everything else.

10. mongo43

mongo43 New Member

I don't know what kind of area you are hunting. But this is how I would look at it. If you hunting dense woods I would use the 120's for more open area jump up to the 140-150's. For those shots over in the next county go with the 160's.

Since I hunt small southern deer also in very hilly wooded area's I use 7.62x39 with 125gr SP. Since 75 yards here is a long shot then there is no reason to get a bullet that i can shoot 1000 yards with. JMHO.

11. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

I was thinking someone would opt for the heavier 150-160gr bullet, but it seems most every one would rather have the little extra speed from the lighter bullet even for under 200yd shots. There was a time when a 160gr 7x57 (very similar to the 7mm-08) was considered one of the premier hunting cartridges in the world, have our bullets really changed that much?

12. mongo43

mongo43 New Member

Yes they have gotten better in the last 20-25 years. Shoot what you want since everything you listed is grouping very well.

13. JimRau

I loaded the 160 NP for elk in the 7-08 but took white tails and hogs with that load. If you go with the 160 your SD goes way up and you will still get good expansion (not explosion) and good penetration. BUT you made a comment about how expensive the NP were, REMEMBER the bullet is the most important part of the hunt and a very small part of the total expense even if you spend $1.00 a bullet!;)

14. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

No offense intended to the Nosler crowd because I will be the first to tell someone that they make some really good stuff, I have used BTs, AB and Partitions to great effect, but around here the Partitions are sky high expensive and hard as hell to find, plus seeing as I practice with my hunting loads and I shoot alot of high powered rifle (2000+ rounds last year) bullets that run almost a buck a pop would cut into my shooting quite a bit, that is why I opted to give the bonded Deep Curl a try, on game weight retention figures are very similar to the Partition around 90% at close range 7mm-08 speeds and around 70% at close range with a 7mm Rem Mag from what I have seen, and they shoot really well in the two rifles I have tested them in. Found them on sale for $26/100 and I bought a mess of them. I will give the Partition the edge in penetration though since the DC expand VERY wide, but I think it fair to say they are both very deep penetrating in heavy for caliber bullets like the 160gr 7mm. Seen a guy take a moose with a 160gr DC out of a 7mm-08 shot through both shoulders dropped him on the spot. I was impressed to say the least.
    Given an unlimited budget I agree the NP is as good as it gets within real world ranges, and the Accubond is a fantastic performer at ranges beyond that.

15. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

140 Game Kings (**Barnes 140 TSX)is what I load for my daughters (twins) 7mm-08's.. Ideally the 140 grain projectile is the perfect "fit" for the 7mm-08 but I will not delve into history/development. It's a great caliber that fits nicely into a broad spectrum of shooting/hunting applications.

**I'm really starting to become a fan-boi of these solid copper projectiles..

16. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Why not try a Sierra pro hunter or gameking 140gr?? With 140gr and below you get great velosity, excellent down range ballistics and energy transfer. Above the 140gr class it looses velosity and has no gain in retained energy. I load 140gr Barnes for my 7MM Rem mag, 160gr also. I would have to pass 400 yards for the 160gr to edge ahead. There is a 250fps difference between 140gr and 160gr in 7-08.
    Here are some numbers I ran:

These numbers are at 350 yards.
    160gr 2650fps mv Gameking 1442fpe, 2015fps velosity
    140gr 2900fps mv Gameking 1436fpe, 2149fps velosity

Not to shabby.

17. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I need to forget ballistics!!;) You are correct.

18. lucznik

lucznik New Member

My 7-08 (a Ruger m77 mkII Compact Rifle) really likes both the 120 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip and the 120 gr. Barnes TTSX. I like the lighter weight bullets in this gun because they offer excellent velocity, even from the rifle's short (16.5") barrel.

I have killed three mule deer bucks with the BT and have taken more than a dozen antelope with both the BT and the TTSX. The TTSX has even accounted for a couple of elk. I'm pretty happy with the terminal performance.

19. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

It sounds like you have done your home work on the loads, and for your hunting purposes, esp. for deer, any of these would seem adequate. In my 7mm Rem. mag, I like the 160 gr. Game Kings or Nosler Partitions. The Sierras group just a tad better, but nothing any game at reasonable ranges could tell much difference. I like the Noslers,, although expensive, they will penetrate extremely well. I took a hog quartering towards me through the front right shoulder and the bullet exited the rear left haunch and it dropped like it had been poleaxed. The hog was about a 350 lb.'er, at about 90 yards.
    A bison ran about 20 steps before tumbling over with the load, plus an elk and Red Deer. It is my pet load for my custom 98 Mauser and my confidence with it is very high. I think the bullet in the 7mm-08 would add to it's versatility and within a moderate range could be used for elk and black bear, should you hunt them. Good hunting,

Jeff

20. kingrider

kingrider New Member

140 Gr. gamekings over varget for my 7mm-08. My favorite deer caliber.