760 Game Master

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by CountryBoyShooter, Oct 25, 2011.

1. CountryBoyShooter

CountryBoyShooter New Member

Start by saying any info will be a big help.

With another deer rifle season coming in PA next month I want to get my 760 .243 running better. The gun shoots great I have taken many white tail with it but the mags are a hassle. They go in smooth, little tight, but taking them out you almost need channel locks which is even harder with cold fingers.

Anyone have the same issue with a 760? Any solutions? I'm considering filing the sides of the mags. ( Have two and both are a bear)
    Thanks for the help.

2. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I've never had a problem with my 760. Did this happen when you first got it or did this start happening recently? I wouldn't file anything yet. Are there scratches on the mags where they're hanging up on a burr or something on the receiver? If so then lightly file off any rough areas on the receiver around the mag opening. If not, take out the trigger group and put in a mag. If it's smooth and doesn't hang up at all then something is going on with the mag latch on the trigger group. It's hard to tell you how to go about seeing what's wrong there. Look for anything interfering with the release or protruding from the face of the trigger group. Take a pic of your trigger group after you take it out and maybe I can see if it's different from mine. Hope this helps.

3. CountryBoyShooter

I got it used when I turned 12 and started hunting. I do think it was tight then but not this bad but that was 15 years ago now. It has been real bad for last couple years anyway. I did pull trigger group out and clean it ( not as dirty as expected)

ForumRunner_20111025_154453.jpg

With that out I can see that it is tight side to side on the mag like either mag sides need filed down or may well needs opened up. I don't remember dropping it or anything that would cause it to pinch closed. Also it is harder with full mag than empty.

Side note one mag the previous owner had. My second was purchased couple years later. But same problem with both.

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

In the 1st place, put the file away, it'll only cause more burrs. You can try lightly polishing the mag well where it's hitting on the sides.

5. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

^^^^ What he said. Seriously. You won't be doing yourself any favors filing on either the mag or the well. Try pinching the mag a little bit with just you hand. That alone could help. You could also try a little paste wax on the sides of the mag or a dry lube such as Dri-Slide.

6. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Yeah, filing anything would be a last resort. The mags aren't as tight even loaded when the trigger group is out? If so then I'd say it's not the mags or receiver. There's probably something off with the mag release, I'm thinking. I should have been clearer about the pic of the trigger group. Can you get a shot of the front of it, where the mag release is?

7. CountryBoyShooter

The trigger group does not affect how tight the mag is. In or out it is just tight. With the mag loaded it gets even tighter. I guess it swells out a little with rounds installed. I may spend some more time on it tonight. I will try squeezing the mag with my hands or slight pressure with my vise.

8. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I just measured my mags with a caliper. They measure .899 empty and .925 loaded so they do swell a bit when loaded. I measured at the middle of the mag. Are there scratches in the bluing on the mags? Even after over 25 years, there are no scratches in the sides of my mags.

9. CountryBoyShooter

There are no defined scratches on the magazine. Think it is time to buy a set of calipers to check this out a little more closely.

10. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If you want to buy something, I would suggest a new magazine.

11. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

He already has two and they both exhibit the same problem so I don't think that's it. This is a weird one!

12. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Hey, Country, any luck yet?

13. CountryBoyShooter

Newest update is squeezing the magazine didn't seem to help any. I ended up taking one of the mags and hitting the sides with a file. It now works great in and out when empty. Loaded the mag several times and made sure there were no issues feeding or ejecting. It is just a hair tight when loaded but manageable. At this time I'm not going to touch the second magazine until I get a good set of calipers and look further into the problem. Thanks for all your help.

14. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Glad you got some results. So weird that the mags are so tight, though. Are they Remington Mags? I'm thinking maybe an aftermarket mag might not be made too well.
    Glad to help even though I really didn't do much for you. You solved it on your own.

15. roscoguy

roscoguy New Member

I guess that I should have said that you'd have to squeeze it hard enough to actually bend the steel a little bit. Using your hands, it would be harder to overdo it than using a vise. Also too easy to go too far with a file & possibly weaken the thin steel, not to mention messing up the bluing...
    But, hey - if it worked that's what counts. Good job!

16. CountryBoyShooter

Yeah not real worried about the finish on the mag just need it to function. I'm not sure about manufacturer of mags. Neither has a Remington logo anywhere ( not sure if it would )

17. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Hmmmm, I just looked mine over and there's no name on them either. One came with the rifle and I bought the other one new and it was in Remington packaging so I know they are both Remington. They are marked with the caliber only.