700 sps tactical

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by andlar, Dec 31, 2012.

1. andlar

andlar New Member

I'm really wanting to get a rem 700 sps tac 308 but I keep looking at the xcr in 20. Besides the price obviously the big difference I see Is a floating barrell. I'm a recreational shooter that is getting into long range and can shoot at 1000 yards at the furthest but mainly 750-500 would the xcr and the floating barrell make that much difference? Also does a stock change cause more risk on the sps because of the lack of floating barrell

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You'll never regret a 700 SPS.

I don't have an xcr so can't comment on that one.

3. Jynxx13

Jynxx13 New Member

IMO I would choose the xcr tactical for many reasons. As you stated it has a free floated barrel which results in greater accuracy. Another point to make is the stock. The xcr has a tactical bell and Carson stock which is better than the sps. I believe it is a fiberglass stock which will help your should over the long run! Also the xcr has an adjustable trigger which is new with Remington and is VERY nice. I'm having a same problem as you with choosing. I very much like the xcr tactical and the Tikka t3 varmint. If you havnt looked at the tikka t3 you might want to take a look!

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Uhhhhh....... where did you get the info that a Bell & Carlson stock is better?????? If it is, that's news to me.

And a free floated barrel may be more accurate on some rifles, but less accurate on others. I've had a couple of free floated barrels that wouldn't shoot worth a damn until I full length pressure bedded them.

This is not meant as a criticism of the xcr, just a general comment.

5. Jynxx13

Jynxx13 New Member

Thank you I did not realize that. I still believe that the xcr is a better choice. I have heard rumors, true or not, that Remington is not what it used to be though.

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Op either rifle is a good rifle. Also sps IS free floated. Just not to the extent the xcr is. Both have an adjustable trigger and have for years. As to the B&C stock-they are a good stock but shyt when compared to the TRUELY good stocks like Hogue, McMillan, and Styr. I'm a gunsmith and I handle new/old/custom rifles daily and have yet to see a problem w the new Remington's except the fact that the 770 is a true pos. ALL new line of rifles from the old companies like Remington, Winchester, and marlin have had good and bad happen to em but they are all back to awesome standards.......well except them damn 770's that is.

7. Jynxx13

Jynxx13 New Member

Sorry but I wasn't "feeding into rumors without checking it out" and I clearly stated that the were rumors, not factual statements. I have checked into it with several smiths and gun salesmen besides the "Internet". I was just implying to research a little more before purchasing.

8. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

As others have stated here, I don't buy into the Remington is garbage thing that some people are spreading around on here, I have stuck up for Remington on many threads and will continue to do so until I find a reason not to and I doubt that will happen. I am in the market for a new varmint caliber rifle in the 223 or 22-250 I'm leaning toward the 223 simply because I have a ton of brass for it, however I'm a lefty so my choices are limited but I will likely end up with the Rem CDL or Lefty Varmint SPS.

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Savage is also a very good viable lefty option for relatively cheap that is varmint killin juju.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

They are supposed to soon jonas....but w this new buy out who in the sam hell knows what they will actually make or start.

11. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Yes, I checked out their site as I have read good things about them from your posts on this forum and was disappointed to see they don't offer a lefty. I was actually intending to stay away from Varmint models as I'd rather have a slim barrel hunting rifle than a heavy pulp stick bench rifle, right now I have found the Rem cdl, Rem varmint sps, the Ruger in the classic wood stock, the Savage 12FLV which doesnt offer the accustock and is a heavy barrel, the Savage 16/116 FLHSS which is accustock and slim ss barrel. Right now I would be leaning toward the Rem or Ruger, how I don't have any experience with the Savage 16 and don't really want ss

To the OP, sorry about the hijack, kinda gettin off course here.

12. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

As a Marine Corps Scout Sniper of close to 8 years, I have been issued a remington 700. I can't tell you how much abuse my rifle took and no matter what, it never failed to operate. It goes through water, mud, sand, swamps and many conditions you will never put your rifle through. The people who have issues with remy rifles are also the people who modiy their rifle beyond the specs. Keep it clean and you'll never have a problem.

13. andlar

andlar New Member

That is true about the trigger. The adjustment is the same as the xcr. However from every spec I read it hasn't Said anything about a floating barrell. And the factory riffle has a hogue stock and that's where the difference is between the xcr and sps. . It is my understanding that I can upgrade my stock when I can afford it and create a floating barrel.

14. andlar

andlar New Member

Also what type if scope would be recommended in the 500-600$ range for 500 -700 yards

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The SPS is free floated. The the inside edges on the barrel channel is just flared out to the barrel

16. andlar

andlar New Member

Thanx for the info.. Then what makes the xcr almost 800$ more? If they are both free floated? Besides 2 swivel brackets in foregrip

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The action is trued, all the parts being smoothed, higher quality stock, better metals used, and more attention to details

18. andlar

andlar New Member

I know I've heard this before and is probly a dumb ? but what exactly do you mean by the action is trued?

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Smoothed out and silky smooth w no flaws cuz they have been removed as much as is possible

20. andlar

andlar New Member

That what I thought thanks....any suggestion for optics in the 500-600$ for 500-700 yards with mill dots?