7 round limit will not be enforced.

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by kfox75, Mar 27, 2014.

1. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

So in other words, more public officials not upholding the laws they were sworn to protect. They need to just repeal this law and get it off the books.

3. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Still this is a tremendous if only temp. Victory for everyone in NY except for maybe folks in NYC, whose politicians think they are Demi-gods.. The NYPD has already said they WILL enforce the law for everyone except current and Ret. LEO's, who were already given a "Pass" by gov. Cabbage Patch....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

4. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

This is only until the active and pending court cases are decided.

5. Vincine

Vincine New Member

The seven round limit law had been struck down as stupid by a federal judge in Buffalo. I think about a month ago.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  6. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

As it should have been. When the Sandy Hook shooting took place I was amazed at some of the things that were said. Given the same amount of time I don't think there are any of us that couldn't have maintained a better rate of fire with a 5 round J frame. The size of the magazine means nothing. The number of magazines or the ease of changing them means nothing. Among unprotected children it's the person with murderous intent that decides how many die.

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

this anouncment along with the judges ruling should at least help out the cases of the guys being charged with breaking the limit so far.

8. mseric

mseric New Member

I don't think so.

Lets say you get a ticket for driving 70 in a 55. A month later they change the speed limit to 70. Does your traffic violation go away? No, you violated what was "The" Law at the time. Changing a law does not exonerated those that violated the existing law.

9. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

There are a couple exceptions that I can think of, but overall I believe you are correct. One would be the new law coming into effect between arrest and sentencing, and the other would be if the new law was made retroactive. I've seen that done, but rarely in criminal cases.

In the magazine size fiasco any convictions and sentences prior to any new law may get a reduction in sentence if they are behind bars at the time, but I would bet on the actual conviction standing.

10. goldngun

goldngun New Member

11. mseric

mseric New Member

Not really.
    The 7 round limit was struck down on 12-2013 by a Federal Judge.
    So, for right now there is NO law restricting a Mag to 7 rounds.

The NY State police are not violating anything, as a matter of fact if they tried to enforce the 7 round mag limit they would be in violation a a court order.

This of course has been appealed and is not over yet, but for now, there is no 7 round mag law in NY.

12. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Well gosh, thanks for not enforcing the portion of the law ruled unconstitutional.
    Mighty decent of them, dontcha think?

13. mseric

mseric New Member

Yeah, they make it sound as if they are fighting for Joe Citizen and defying the State Legislators, when in reality they they are doing nothing.

14. kfox75

From what I understand about NYC gun laws, the 7 round limit is less restrictive than the current limit of 5 rounds in the magazine. Any magazine holding more than 5 rounds, fixed or removable, was ordered modified, destroyed, or sold out of the NYC Metro area by a law enacted about 10 years ago, and enforced the end of last year. Non compliance meant confiscation and arrest according to the story I read on it.

Said law in NYC covers long guns. Here is a link to the NYC Admin Code 10-306 (b). You will have to scroll down to it to read it. Just another BS law, and more hoops to jump through.

https://www.nysrpa.org/files/nyc-admincode.pdf

Have I mentioned how glad I am to be leaving this State?

15. kfox75

It is true that the Admin is trying to make it sound like they are fighting for the little guy here, but even though they really are not doing so many of the Troopers I know are trying to help get the Unsafe Act overturned. Most of NY's problems stem from just one area of the State, the South East corner, AKA NYC.

I have been trying for years to get my Representatives to start a bill that would seperate the state into 2 states. Everything South and East of Orange and Rockland Counties can go with the City, we'll keep the rest. Better yet, let's offer up NYC to Jersey. Most of the folks that work there are from Jersey anyway, so it would be a win win for them.

Hell, the Port Authority and the Immigration center are already in Jersey, why not give them Lady Liberty as well.

if the city is dropped from the state, most of our political problems would vanish within one election cycle. ;)

16. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Statue of Liberty is already part of Jersey......

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

17. kfox75

Thanks Doc. I learned something new today. I always thought it was in NY, but now I know i was wrong.

i still say we should offer up NYC to Jersey though.