7.82 war bird build

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Marlinman, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Im going to build a 7.82 war bird and right now all i need is a good barrel for it. I am going to use a mauser action, timney 2 stage titanium trigger, and a boyd synthetic stock. Any suggestions would b helpful.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

2. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

I had a lazzeroni 308 war bird with a sako m995 action. Wow what a rifle. I would of never bought such a gun. But I painted a car for a guy I worked with and he couldn't pay when it was done due to a divorce. So I traded him my labor fee for the gun and later sold it at a gun show for $2100.00 to shut who really knew what he was buying. Great gun and one hell of a long range shooter. But $5 a bullet kind of was killer for me because I don't reload. Keep us posted on the build sounds like a good build.

play the victim, be the victim

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

jared, check out McGowan barrels website.

4. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ya i reload so thats no biggy. I already reload for 7 mm mag and 308. I reload 7mm 08 so why not go the other direction?

5. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Already checked into them and they wont make me one in the length i want wo charging $80 more

6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Im thinking of going w a kreiger 20" w 1:12 twist but i dont know. My master said my length might not be the best though. He said 21" or 22" would probably be best. Im building it for elk/speed goats.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ok guys i have a kreiger 21 1/2" medium sporter blank on order. Now i just need some optics suggestions for giggles sake. Preferably lowish to fairly high magnification, light weight and under $800-$900

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  8. Axxe55

check out the vortex scopes, they seem to be getting some good reviews and their prices are not too bad either.

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Got one and dont think it would take the recoil. I am building a very light(for what it is gonna be)rifle. Also its not high enough mag for what im wanting. Im thinking about getting either a busnell 4200 or nikon monarch 4-12x40 bdc or 4-16x50 mildot

10. Axxe55

i forgot about the nikon monarch, that's a great scope too. i looked at one a couple of months ago on a winchester M70 in 270, it was really nice!

11. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I have one on my m97 dakota arms 338 win mag. The mildot 4-16 version. I really like it but i think it would be to Much magnigication. Im also thinkin bout the leupold vari x III 4.5-14X40 AO. I dont know since their are alot of good scopes out there. Weavers grand slam and 40/44 is a few more i really like. Have the 40/44 also have a redfield 4-12x40 i wouldnt mind havin another of

12. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Update yall. Have my stock, action, trigger, scope bases/rings. Should have my barrel blank sometime today(friday). Once i have it let the fun begin;) all i need to figure out now is what scope. Narrowed it down to the nikon mildot 4-12x40 and the weaver 4-12x40/44

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  13. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Got my barrel. Now to bore it and rifle it. Last steps will be lapping it and put a break on it

14. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

The stock i decided to use since i think itll look better w my stainless action and ss barrel.

400-012-2T_mobile_zoom.jpg

And my trigger

images-1.jpeg

15. Axxe55

so where we at with this thing? barrel, action, stock and a trigger, sure sounds like a rifle to me!

16. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Iv takin a slight break from it but i had it bored out and crowned when i quit.

17. griffin81

griffin81 New Member

Please keep us updated and also a picture or two might be nice too.

play the victim, be the victim

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ill try.

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Update-its all done except for lapping it and test firing.

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Also need to decide what break to put on it. I put a weaver grand slam 4.5-14x40 AO on it.