7.7 Jap Reload Data??

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Trez, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Burbank Jung

Burbank Jung New Member

That sounds great. My first petload ( that is in an old HD ) used H4895. I was using Speer 150gr. SP and printed a 3/4" group at 50 yards. What group are you printing with your petload and at what distance using the 174gr. Hornadys?

2. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I dont really shoot for group sizes, but it corresponds really close with the yardage on the sight.

About as scientific as I got was shooting my Type 99 Arisaka and comparing it to my M1903 Springfield at certain ranges. I figured if I could hit something with my '03 set at 300 yds at a target 300 yds, and then could do the same with the Arisaka, its gotta be pretty close right? I got out to about 500 yds and still be able to hit a normal sized house door I found in the desert....

I dont really get fancy, I pretty much just shoot surplus guns, so I just try to recreate whatever the military loading was. I'm sure the military of whatever country spent lots of money to figure out where all those little marks on the sight are suppose to be.... :p

In general ive found lighter bullets may be just as or more accurate but they shoot flatter, so it really messes with the different ranges on military sights.
    last time I shot my Krag all I had was some 180 gr spitzers, but the sights are calibrated for a 200 gr round nose. It shot well enough but the yardages were all off.

Thats all I got :p

3. Burbank Jung

Burbank Jung New Member

Minute-of-Door groupings can work at that distance. A few riflemen shooting at that distance is bound to get lucky and hit an enemy combatant.