Firearms Talk banner

7.7 Arisaka ejection problem

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  DennisH 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a Type 99 Arisaka in 7.7mm. I purchased some 7.7 Norma factory ammo to shoot and to get the brass. Everything was going great until after I fired the first shot and tried to pull the bolt back to eject the case. I had to slam my hand against the bolt handle several times because the case got swollen in the chamber when it fired. I tried this a couple times with the same result. I definitely feel like something is wrong and I don’t want to shoot it again until I figure it out. I’m hoping someone on here has some helpful information. I’ve attached a picture with the Norma factory load on the left and what the case looks like after being fired.
Ammunition Bullet Cylinder Gun accessory Liquid

See less See more
#4 ·
I am going to say 30-06 with the barrel left .311. Slug the bore to be sure. Get you a set of 30-06 dies, replace the expander plug with a .310 one. You should be good to go.

Cerrosafe is your friend. Do a chamber casting to be sure.

Japanese rifles are strong, unless it's last ditch rifle, I would not be afraid of it. They are notorious for oversize chambers. I have a T38. Bring back by my wife's uncle. He sporterized it and hunted with it until the year he died. He turned it into a .257 Roberts!

#5 ·
looking at how far that neck and shoulder have moved is the sure sign that someone has more than likely rechambered that rifle in different cartridge.

find a competent gunsmith and have him make a chamber casting and get the measurements and find out what cartridge it has been changed to.

i suspect that it might be a war trophy, and someone had it rechambered to be able to use possibly the more common 30-06 case for reloading, because at the time 7.7mm Arisaka ammo was probably near impossible to get. that was very common in the late 1940's and early 1950's. lots of Japanese and German rifles were commonly rechambered for that reason.

#11 ·
Ok, here is a pick (from left to right) the fired 7.7, 30.06 which I use in my M1 Garand, and 8mm which I use in my Mauser. I will definitely have a gunsmith check it out and let me know. View attachment 181149
I know this is an old topic but I just got a type 99 that shoots and the case looks exactly like yours after firing and sticks when ejecting.Have you figured out what it is. A 3006 wont fit , its a little too long so I have fire formed a few out of 7.7 cases. I use a 311 bullet as the barrel is original.

#10 ·
The short neck and sharp shoulder sure seem to indicate an Ackley Improved but the question is based on what.
The original 7.7 fired case appears to be the same length as the unfired 7.7 factory round. What caused the sticky extraction is probable high pressure and that could be caused by several things. Old guns can be a challenge at times , break out the Cerrosafe and calipers...This one isn't going to be a simple one.
Gary

#13 ·
I'm pretty sure that is what it is, but I have to trim just a tiny bit off the end of 3006 to make them fit in the chamber. When it was reamed out maybe just a little short. I will try again but use 308 bullets to fire form and see how much the neck expands. It has a tight bore. I tried putting a 308 in the end of the barrel and it fit very tight.
I just got the rifle so haven't got to spend alot of time with it yet.These gun auctions are a real gamble. I did get a 98 krag sporter cheap that shoots excellent. Even had the side scope mount on it and the bore looks brand new and the barrel looks orginal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.