7.62x54R ammo

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by lilrichthedragon, Dec 13, 2012.

1. lilrichthedragon

lilrichthedragon New Member

Know of any good 150gr non corrosive ammo for a mosin nagant. Any good ammo sites?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

Winchester white box. Its reloadable too.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

You can get Eastern European MilSurp fro

www.aimsurplus.com

very cheap.

It's corrosive, but what the hell, you're supposed to clean your weaqpon anyway. :p

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Sellor & Bellot is the Czech factory that Winchester get's their white box 7.62x54R ammo from and rebrands it. If you can find it, it is usually a couple bucks per box cheaper than the Winchester branded stuff.

Prvi Partisan is Serbian ammo that is also pretty good quality and fairly inexpensive as well

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Plus 1 on the PRVI Partisan. I have 3 boxes of the stuff that I have reloaded 5 or 6 times. I have split 1 neck.

6. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Just curious, is there a reason you don't want to buy the cheaper corrosive ammo? I just bought a Mosin and some Russian ammo to go with it. The ammo was cheap, 39 bucks for 200 rounds. I don't have any experience with the Mosins yet but it sounds fairly easy to clean them up after using the corrosive primers. Like I said, just curious as to why you'd rather buy the more expensive ammo?

7. bamashooter68

bamashooter68 Member

Sellier & Bellot make the best 7.62x54R brass cased, modern, non corrosive ammo these days. Im sure Privi is good but Ive been shooting S&B in my mosin's for along time and its very good and very accurate ammo.

8. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

How much does it go for? I just bought some .380 ammo by that company and it seems to be really good quality.

9. 2tone0311

2tone0311 New Member

Corrosive ammo contains salts that are difficult to get out of the barrel and action therefore cause "corrosion" in your weapon which effect accuracy, reliability, and the over all value of your firearm. Use warm soapy water or muzzle loader cleaner to help dissolve the salts and prevent damage. Typical cleaners and lubes are oil based and do not break down the salts for removal.

10. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Wolf gold is non corrosive and reloadable. Reasonably priced too. I bought some because it was cheaper than buying new empty brass.

11. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Yeah I understand that, I've heard windex and hot water is good for cleaning. I'm just not sure what the problem is with that. Does it take longer to clean or something?

12. 2tone0311

2tone0311 New Member

Keep running patches through it tell it comes out like it never went in. A little more effort and time but it's worth the price difference if you stay on top of it. I shoot corrosive 8mm through my Mauser and I have no problems what so ever.

13. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

That's kind of what I'm thinking too, I don't mind spending a little time to clean a gun.

14. 2tone0311

2tone0311 New Member

I find it very relaxing and I enjoy it.

15. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I'm going to shoot it tomorrow, it just came in today and is at the lgs. Can't wait to try it out. Got any pointers on what you think is the best way to go on cleaning one?

16. 2tone0311

2tone0311 New Member

I take a syringe and get a glass of warm soapy water or windex and inject water down the barrel followed by a bore snake(dry) after water runs out I soak the bore snake in hoppes #9 bench rest and run that through about 10-15 times. Repeat cycle with water then run a swab through it to dry/remove the hoppes/wAter that's left over then run patches through it till I get nothing on it.

17. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Thanks for the info 2tone. :)

18. 2tone0311

2tone0311 New Member

19. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

And the Wolf Gold line is loaded by Prvi Partisan.

20. lilrichthedragon

lilrichthedragon New Member

Well I wanted a bullet grain that would be closer in line to the ballistics of a 30.06. I also wanted to try some non corrosive ammo just to see how it performs. I don't mind cleaning my gun but I would like to find something a little less harsh on my rifling so during hunting it could go a little while w/o having to be cleaned