7.62x54R ammo importation.

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Laufer, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Laufer

Laufer New Member

Pardon me-don't know how to correct a topic typo.

Yesterday, a guy on another website claimed that he had spoken with an ammo distributor.
    The distributor (reportedly) told the guy that there was/is a shipment of either 10,- or 100,000,000 rds. of x54R waiting to be sent.

He apparently meant the US. Even if only a fraction of this is planned and is cheaper surplus instead of newer wolf/Brown Bear etc, what are the chances that importers would order a huge amount?
    Maybe they plan to sell it in limited numbers at a time to support current prices, or the foreign companies offered it at cheaper wholesale prices, due to the govts in eastern Euro. and elsewhere going bankrupt and needing cash?
    I'm fairly new to the shooting hobby, and have no related business. Just trying to understand the situation in the near-future.

Savage .22, Mini 14 & 30, SKS and two MN 44s.

2. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

ammo

gov get rid of ammo when it reaches a date they determin.there is a limited
    quantity and finaly it runs out.importers buy by the ship load if they can.
    :rolleyes:

3. AimHigh

AimHigh New Member

Wildcat: As a retired USAF aircaft maintenance & munitions officer I can verify what you say. This is what our govt. does - pull by date and dispose of. However I don't know what other countries do. Do they weed out the old to make room for the new? Or do they sell off excess for cash flow. Just curious.

-AimHigh
    IYAAYAS!

4. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I'd be willing to hazard a guess as to who (or what) gets a lot of that ammo. Classic Arms has Bulgarian 7.62 x 54R....

I bought 2 tins AND it came with the "can opener" too. Haven't tried it yet because I still haven't had the time to clean the cosmoline out of my Mosin and get to the range.

5. karlsgunbunker

karlsgunbunker New Member

Century Arms ran out of x54r last month.
    I'm sure they have a few containers inbound.

6. m72law

m72law New Member

i've looked all around for the best deals for online ammo dist. and for me AIM was and will always be my choice...well untill they wind up like everybody else and want to charge an arm n leg for shipping...:(

7. Going Postal

Going Postal New Member

Here is a link to a website called ammo engine. You select the type of ammo that you want from drop down menu, and it will tell you where it is available and prices. I got this from a thread on another forum. Give it a try, it is great, but I don't have any way to verify if it is correct or not!

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/7.62x54mm

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Postal- thank you- neat search engine. Altho, out of curiousity, I looked up the 'going rate' for ammo for my Winchester 71- .348 Winchester. Jesus WEPT! Stuff is $3-4 per cartridge now!!!