7.62x54 question

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by BudW, Jan 13, 2012.

1. BudW

BudW New Member

just bought some Russian surplus 7.62x54, I seen on the site they were sold out of Polish 7.62x54 is one better than the other?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

its all corrosive. performance is very dependent on your individual rifle.

3. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Ive heard the russian stuff is the best, but ive never used it. Ive currently got bulgarian ammo for mine.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

like JonM said, most of the military surplus ammo is corrosive. safe to shoot, but always make sure to do a very thorough cleaning and oiling after shooting. whether any particular brand of surplus ammo is better or worse, you just have to try it out and see what happens.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

I use windex for cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo. The ammonia neutralizes the corrosive residue, and it sprays into all the little nooks and crannies real well.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Actually ammonia is corrosive in its' own right. What cleans w/ windex is the soap and water it contains. Just some boiling water down the bore will dissolve and flush the salts out. Ammonia will remove bluing!
    The Facts About Ammonia

As far as what ammo is best, Polish is accurate, Bulgarian is less accurate, 1980's..'90's Yugo is outstanding, Russian really depends upon the year. Older Russian is some really nasty stuff.
    Hungarian is VG.

8. BudW

BudW New Member

Ty ............................................

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

All surplus X54 ammo is going to be corrosive and require a proper cleaning procedure. I have not seen any difference in any of the surplus I have shot. It all shoots better than I do. I buy what has the best price on the day I am ready to order. Seeing as how a case of ammo cost more than a nice Mosin Nagant, buy rifles to suit your ammo.:D

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

i use hoppes #9 for cleaning my mosins as hoppes #9 was developed specifically to defeat the salts in corrosive primers.

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

In that case it'd probably be cheaper just to go buy a gallon of kerosene. I've always used Hoppes because honestly, I just liked the smell.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

well with a bolt gun you just need to clean the bore and bolt not much to do. easier than the water or windex thing as you would still need to clean the bore afterwards. the #9 does it all at the same time.