7.62X39 Norinco SKS 20" 5 Shot - $308US = opinions?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by Scare_Rab, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Scare_Rab

Scare_Rab New Member

What do we think of this as a Zombie killer?
    ... if we were to carry only one rifle?

-looking for inexpensive / reliable -availability of ammo:
    Suggestions / questions comments welcomed

7.62X39 Norinco SKS 20" 5 Shot

US $308.00

Brand New Norinco 20” SKS 5 shot Semi Auto Hunting Rifle.

standard length SKS

If you are wanting a great value hunting rifle or simply enjoy target shooting at the range, these rifles are great value for money offering excellent accuracy and reliability.

This calibre is a great for hunting -- With the 125 grain soft point projectile it will be effective on Goats, Wallabies, Fallow Deer, Red Deer and other similar size game.

Specs
    Weight: 3.85 kg (8 lb 8 oz)
    Length: 1021mm (40.2 in)
    Barrel length: 521 mm (20.5 in) Chrome lined
    Cartridge: 7.62x39mm
    Action: Short stroke gas piston, tilting bolt, self-loading
    Muzzle velocity: 735 m/s (2,410 ft/s)
    Effective range: 400 m (433 yd)
    Magazine: 5-round internal box magazine
    Sights: Hooded post front sight, tangent notch rear sight to 1,000 meters

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Are you asking an opinion on it or trying to sell us one?? :-\

3. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Im guessing from "wallabies" this is in New Zealand or Australia?

I love my SKS and just like the AK its almost indestructible. Cheap to shoot... easy to maintain. You can pick one up for the same price or sometimes cheaper at any local gun shows.

4. Scare_Rab

Scare_Rab New Member

wallabies = sthn hemisphere ...correct .
    opinion wanted -0 / good enough / why bother / hard to field strip / finnickity regards ammo / poor safety / accuracy etc

5. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

They are the most likely to go bang in any environment.
    Their manufacturing tolerances are loose by design, this is why they run any ammo, in any climate, clean or dirty.

Not as accurate as the AR platform.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The Norinco is one of the best SKS variants made. They normally come wirth a 10 shot magazine, but if your laws require a 5 shot, it's still a an awesome fighting rifle.

If your laws allow it, 10 round magazines are available and can be installed in about 15 seconds.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Norinco SKS is a good quality rifle. Keep in mind they are NOT military surplus. They are new manufacture for the export market. Hundreds of thousands perhaps were shipped to the USA before Clinton halted the importation of Chinese arms.

8. Scare_Rab

Scare_Rab New Member

The Gun Shop has two versions = one with a 20 inch barrel and one with a 16 inch barrel. The 20" is $45 more expensive.
    Any reasoning to choose between 'em?

9. locutus

The 20 inch has longer sight radius, and is therefore easier to shoot accurately with iron sights. It also gives you anywhere from 100-150 FPS more velocity. The 16 inch is lighter and more handy, especially getting in and out of vehicles, and in tight spaces.

It's a tradeoff either way. Select according to how and where you're going to use it.

10. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I don't really know anything about foreign laws but you can get detachable mags some countries will allow certain imports on mags as long as there pinned to the legal round capacity. Also there a modification out there that will allow one to use AK47 mags on an SKS.

As far as the shorter barrel it might be better if your eye sight isn't all that great, easier sight picture.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I love my SKSs. One's a Norinco. But how did they pare it down to

5-shots? Standard internal mags for SKSs are 10 rounds.

IMO, be sure that's the price shipped.

So, OP, you got a lot of zombies in your area??

12. locutus

I have a 10 and a 20 shot fixed mag for my Norinco SKS. Takes about 15 seconds for me to change them out.

I suppose that if you live in an area legally limiting mag capacity to 5 shots, it would be very easy for a supplier to block off a 10 rounder to 5.
    BTW, Norinco offered fixed 20 and 30 round magazines at one time. I'l betcha anyone who wanted one could find it on gunbroker or at a large gunshow.

You can also get an AK mag adapter for the SKS, but everyone I know that tried them had lotsa trouble with them.

As much as I love hi-cap mags, I've always been of the philosophy that if you don't have time to reload from a stripper clip after firing 10 rounds, you've got bigger troubles than mag capacity!:p

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Thank you. My philosophy has been the 10-round mag doesn't jam,

and it doesn't get snagged on stuff, either.

If you're worried about sending rounds down range, how much time is a

feed jam going to cost you? Better hope the answer's not "just enough

to get you killed"...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  14. kenjs1

kenjs1 New Member

in a word- YES !

they are anything but finicky and extremely simple to field strip. I do recommend a Williams peep sight for it. At fifty yards it will help you go from hitting the paper to hitting one of the targets on the paper. Superb hog killer. Cheap ammo, easy shooting and tons of mods.

15. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

I've heard great things about the SKS. In Canada the mags are required to be pinned to 5 rounds, so i figure that's just the issue that you're going to have to deal with as well. The original magazine is 10 rounds, but they weld a metal bit in the bottom of the mag so that you can't fit more ammo in.

If you do get one, stay away from the AK mag conversions, I've heard of nothing but trouble from those things. The high-cap internal ones I've heard are a bit iffy - but are usually ok, although I guess it won't be an issue for you due to your laws.

For the price, you can't go wrong with an SKS. As far as zombies are concerned... just don't be on the run, 5 shots go quick!

16. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

If you are not limited by round count Tapco make a great 20 round mag. It is removable.