7.62x39. Brands

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by jjfuller1, Jun 17, 2012.

1. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

I just got my ak. What are some okay brands of ammo. Being an ak I am certainly good with steel case for now. Just want a reliable brand

2. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

Its all good.

It all goes bang. It is all accurate enough out to 200 yards in an AK. Ammoman has 1000 rounds delivered to your doorstep for 23c per shot.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Right. It's all good.

I like Norinco best, but since it's not available anymore, I use Wolf,
    Silver Bear, Brown Bear, etc.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That is the beauty of the AK system, it is not picky.

5. BodySnatcher

BodySnatcher New Member

I can get Golden Tiger on my 8" gong at 300 yards about 80% of the time. Uly/Tula about 60% if the time. It goes down from there.

I am interested in reloading some, but getting brass for the 7.62x39 is cost prohibitive. I'd do it if I knew it would get me down to 4" at 300 yards. I may just have to give in...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  6. W. C. Quantrill

As per the 7.62x39, 300 yards is a stretch. I just laid in several thousand rounds of it from Ammoman, and the cost was about 20c per shot. It is steel cased, so it is not reloadable, it is simply fire and forget. The point being, when you can get the imported ammo, loaded for less than the bullets would cost you to reload, then that is the major factor of consideration. You mention staying on an 8" gong at 300 yards, then that sort of accuracy is plenty adequate for hunting or battle use. This little cartridge is definitely not a 300 yard hunting cartridge. However in the battle situation, wounds are more effective than kills, as it takes more out of action.

7. kycol

kycol New Member

[. However in the battle situation, wounds are more effective than kills, as it takes more out of action.[/QUOTE]

No it's not, a dead man is done.

8. W. C. Quantrill

True, but a wounded man takes a couple others out to transport or care for him, and it becomes a situation of attrition. Not many will leave their wounded lay unattended.

The point I was making was that 300 yards is a stretch for an AK. Loss of accuracy, loss of energy.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

cool. i just have to see if i have any funds available or if they are all gong to bills. time will tell.