Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my sks for two years and love it and have a lot of 7.62x39 ammo around looking for a bolt action rifle that can be used as a varmint gun...anyone have or heard of one? Pics?

·
Premium Member
14,202 Posts
CZ makes a nice little carbine. I believe Savage has a rifle in the 7.62 chamber.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
The Chinese converted Type 38 Arisakas into the 7.62x39 caliber

·
Banned
1,903 Posts
The remington 700 probably has a model in that caliber. They are excellent guns if you dont mind spending a little money

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very nice options the arisaka intrigues me i wonder how easy they would be to find?...but the cz is a great choice carbine style is what i was looking for....and hogs are my intentions with that rifle

·
Banned
3,611 Posts
I think Steyr made one and Ruger too.

·
Registered
7,456 Posts
Very nice options the arisaka intrigues me i wonder how easy they would be to find?...but the cz is a great choice carbine style is what i was looking for....and hogs are my intentions with that rifle

Buy American get a Savage Model: 10 FCM Scout..............

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a CZ 527 Carbine - great little gun, comes with scope rings somewhat like Rugers, has a wonderful set trigger - very accurate little rifle. I put a Burris Timberline compact scope on it 2.5 to 7 - works great. Ruger used to make a rifle in this - a little hard to find and pricey when you do. Remmington had this in the 799 model they imported for a few years. I have a 799 in a .22Hornet nice looking rifle, but have not had the time to sight it in yet. I have a few sks's and a mac-90 but I much prefer to shoot the little CZ.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
303tom said:
Buy American get a Savage Model: 10 FCM Scout..............
Weren't Savage's Canadian?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
And there goes my brain, thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Remington makes a model 798 that is available. It's practically a Mauser made for Remington by zystava I believe. My LGS has one in 223. It's real sharp and smooth feeling. It was my second choice after the marlin I decided on. I may go back for her.....

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Where did you get those??
Not mine, just a pic of a couple on the web.... I would love to find one or build my own!! :)

The Chinese put SKS barrels on T38's they captured from Japan

·
Registered
229 Posts
Remington makes a model 798 that is available. It's practically a Mauser made for Remington by zystava I believe. My LGS has one in 223. It's real sharp and smooth feeling. It was my second choice after the marlin I decided on. I may go back for her.....
I don't think the 798 long action was ever chambered in 7.62X39. The short action 799 "mini mauser" was though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
R-BOLT said:
I don't think the 798 long action was ever chambered in 7.62X39. The short action 799 "mini mauser" was though.
I guess that's what I meant. I knew one was short action and the other long action.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Remington discontinued importing the M798 and M799 in 2008. these were nice rifles and a shame they quit importing them. they were made by Zastava for Remington and were very closely made just like a Mauser action.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts