7.62x39: Armor Piercing?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Winchester, May 25, 2007.

1. Winchester

Winchester New Member

I just ended up with about 4600 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo in a trade with a good friend of mine. 2200 rounds are in tins and he says they are "armor piercing" rounds which he paid alot of money for during the ban. They are packed in "sardene" tins of 550 in wooden crates. The ammo itself is all copper colored (shell and bullet) and packed on stripper clips. The writing on the box apears to be chinese. I dont realy have a use for "armor piercing" rounds in my AK, so I was wondering what are they worth? are they anything special or should I just shoot them up as regular ammo?

2. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

762X39 Ammo:

That type has a steel core.and like all 762X39 would defeat soft body armor.
    It may be corrosive as well. Watch out shooting around rocks as that stuff will cause a shower of sparks and can start a fire.

It is banned from some National Forests in their designated shooting areas.

You can verify the bullet with a magnet...it will stick to steel core 762X39

3. Splatter

Splatter New Member

Does it have any tip colouring on the bullet, like red or yellow paint?

In the absence ot the tip coding, I think Dgunsmith has it right.

4. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

7.62X39 Armor Piercing ammo?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Thier is one easy way to tell if the Chinese ammo in question or any Ammo in Question is (STEEL CORE) AP? Simply slide a small refigerator or any Magnet to the tip, if it attracts, It's that older Chinese Steel core stuff! Gotta watch where ya soot it, as others in the posts have said, many outdoor ranges have banned it, The national park Service is so full of CRap, but yes they Ban it's shooting as well! If you don't like the Steel core stuff, you can sell it off quit easily and have the $ to get the HP or Soft point ya need? I have sold a lot of that off over the years and never had any issue with selling it , anywhere! LOL

RON L

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Have some armored vehicles giving you problems?

6. opaww

opaww New Member

AP ammo is illegal in some states and as such I will gladly take it off your hands for proper disposal so just ship it to me no worries...i'll take care of it for you

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Well, you never know when there is going to be a burglar hiding inside your refrigerator! :D

The Chinese steel cored ammo is NOT Armor Piercing- in the sense that miltary AP ammo is. Oh sure, it will go thru soft body armor- which was designed to stop HANDGUN ammo. So will regular ball ammo.

Steel core is there because it is lighter and cheaper than lead. Not to punch thru the metal armor of an APC. But it shoots well.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

True AP in the 7.62 X 39 will have a black laquered tip. There is apretty fair amount of Chinese steel core that is not "true" AP. The AP has a hardened steel core. Magnet attracts to both.

Much Eastern Bloc ammo uses Bi-metal jackets (Cupro-Nickel) that will also attract to a magnet (but not as aggressively). Winchester .308 147 gr FMJBT's are also Bi-metal jacketed , attract to a magnet (faintly) yet are lead cored.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

There are only a couple of major groups of people who wear body armor for work in this country; i wouldn't want either of those groups to consider me to be "gunning for them". I wouldn't advertise having any ammo that was "armor piercing", be it military grade or not. Someone might take that the wrong way.
    no offense

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Why is this thread not shut down? Just curious...:eek:

11. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Why would it be? Also curious..... :)

12. netnet

netnet New Member

I would like 100 rds

13. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

3 years, 5 months, 2 weeks and 2 days. Who's going to take the head shot?

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Netnet- welcome to the forum- drop around to the intro thread and say hello when you get a minute.

Getting started here, it is always a good idea to check the DATE of of a thread you are responding to. In this case, over 3 years ago. Since this was your first post, we'll give you a pass on our usual ribbing about buying the thread a birthday cake. :D

With the incredibly high demand for ammo in the past 3 months, 7.62x39 is hard to find right now. Be patient- it is getting better.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Bob, is that you?

16. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Just for anyone reading this, the magnet test is not a great way to tell if there is a steel core in the bullet,as a lot of Chinese, and Warsaw pact ammo uses mild steel or other ferrous metal blends in the jackets, that will cause lead core bullets to stick to a magnet just as well.

Old thread, but maybe some new thoughts for folks.

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Why should it be??? nothing illegal being discussed

I've used several thousand rounds of Chinese steel core. Damn good ammo. Ya just don't shoot it at rocks or steel plates.:rolleyes:

I'd buy it today if it was available again in bulk.

Mildly corrosive. So what? You're supposed to clean your weapon anyway.