7.62x39 AR who has one?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by mach1337, Nov 22, 2010.

1. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

So I will be finishing my Ar up in the jan-Mar time frame and thinkin about my next Rifle now. I really want something that shoots 7.62x39 due to its popularity and the fact that if/when tshtf everyone and there mothers will have 7.62 to scavanage from. BUT I really dont like AK's no offense great guns do there job well tuff as hell. but just dont like the way the look or feel when i shoot them.

Started to look into a AR in 7.62x39 and know about the problems with the laquer coated ammo and the DI gas system that occur. And also about the problem with the mags but as i have seen someone made a mag that solves that problem.So i started lookin at a complete upper in 7.62 thats a Gas Piston setup for a reasonable price. Anyone have one and what are your thoughts on it?

Or do you have some recommendations on a different rifle chambered in that round.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

We have discussed this option several times. One of the concensus that has arisen:

You are paying WAY too much for a platform that is taking away one of it's founding principles ( AR - accurate, D.I. driven system and a round with range ) to trade for some of the downsides of the other platform ( AK - limited range and accuracy, barrel vibration under fire due to op rod system ).

Granted, you get a harder hitting round inside 100-150 yards, but then you have the draw back of being able to accurately shoot to 200 or 300.

Personally, if you have to have the 7.62 x 39mm platform, I would just get a decent AK and stock up on ammo. The AR variant really isn't going to give you much great performance and it's going to cost 2 or 3 times as much.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

or just get a ruger mini-30 if your really gotta have a mediocre round i would go with the ruger.

4. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

Thanks Dillinger I saw the thread once before but my searchin failed to find that thread again. And I know that the AR vs the AK is more expensive but I wasnt really asking if it was worth it. But I was asking if anyone on here had one and how they like/liked it. I really dont like the Aks is all not too big a fan of the sks either. mini 40 i could live with but would rather have a AR...

Also i dont think that I am a 300Yrd shooter. Im more of a 150yrd and less shooter. so a good across the room/street/yard gun would be all that im lookin for anyway. And if im shoothin that far i will be using the bolt gun!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I just don't see 7.62 x 39mm being as plentiful as people think should the need arise.

Who has it? People that love their AK's and their SKS' and they horde it.

You aren't going to find pallets of it at your local sporting goods shop, unless you have a giant shop like a Sportco.

You aren't going to find it in police cars, precints, armories, National guard depots and stash points.

The people that have it already, probably aren't going to be the ones commonly found laying on the battlefield ready to be looted. :cool::confused:

I don't personally see any benefit to try to reload for that cartridge, so I just keep coming back to money spent versus possible "reward".

If you have an AR that you like, buy a cheap AK to give to Cleetus from down the street in trade, or for his help defending the home stead when the space zombies hit the wire. :D

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

If that is the case, have you looked at the larger, big bore style uppers for your existing AR?

7. orangello

orangello New Member

One of the things i LOVE about my SKS is the inexpensive ammo available, notably the Wolf brand stuff; my SKS loves it and doesn't mind the dirt and grit. My buddy used some in his AR-15 (.223) last week & had many, many failures, though the PMC rounds ran fine. I doubt that all AR's are as dirt-sensitive or brand-picky as his seems to be, but i wouldn't want to feed an AR i had worked to pay for a steady diet of cheap, comparatively dirty ammo. I would also be hesitant about using the surplus stuff with the corrosive primers in a comparatively pricey AR, but my SKS and my buddy's WASR seem fine with it.

Just my bit.

8. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

JD you have yet agian made me think of something in a different way then before...

yeah i have been looking at a larger bore upper for the ar. I know i want somethin a lil bigger for knock down power and just for well i want one. would love to have a beowulf but the cost of shooting is the biggest factor. i dont mind the initial cost its really the ammo cost that im lookin at. want somethin i can enjoy shootin without goin broke on ammo.

9. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

So no my question is does anyone have a .300 Whisper upper? looks so good seems like it would do the job that i want too!

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Glad I could help. ;)

That is a nice round. It will definitely do a lot of what you are looking for, but you are probably going to have to jump into the deep end and reload to make it cost effective.

We built a .300 Whisper ( boltgun on a Remmy 700 with a Bell & Carlson stock ) for a guy who does all sorts of varmint and coyoting ( he lives in Montana and has property for days apparently ) and he LOVES it.

11. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

yeah it would be really nice to have a AR in .300 whisper but like you said deep end of reloading and way deeper then my pockets go... maybe once i retire and get setup for reloading.

I have the itch for a big bore AR and dont want a AR10. looks like I might just have to jump for a beowulf... or start reloading, go learn gunsmithing, and develop a wildcat... since i can get a ton of free 5.56 and 7.62 nato brass thats not sounding so bad lol

12. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Since this thread was right up my alley (I was looking into a 7.62x39mm upper) I checked it out. Thanks JD for already taking me off that path.

Here's an even bigger question: If I had $500 for an AK, would it just be better (for SHTF) to instead spend that money on more 5.56x45 ammo and magazines for the AR I already have? I can really only carry one rifle when the zombie hordes are coming down my street.

At what point would someone want to move into another caliber upper for their AR-15 caliber? What needs would be better met by a larger caliber upper rather than more ammo and accessories for their current AR-15 in 5.56?

13. kimberkid

kimberkid New Member

[​IMG]

I built one just because I wanted a bit more "thump" at a reasonable ammo cost and more accuracy than an AK can give.

I ordered a flat top kit from Model 1 Sales and picked up a $59 receiver on Gunbroker ($89 after shipping and transfer) about $630 and mags for $18ea I did it opn the cheap just to see if I was going to like it ... used spare plastic magpul trigger guard, set of handguards and a stock that were in my spare parts bin instead of the cheapies that came with the kit.

Originally it was a flat-top because I already had a carry handle. I couldn't get a sight post tall enough to sight it in with irons ... I found a post at DPMS that was .40" taller but still not enough so I switched out the upper receiver for a fixed carry handle upper because the aperture sits about 3/32" lower ... haven't gotten out to shoot it since but am sure that will cure the problem.

BTW - I've shot about 200 rounds of Wolf with no problems (for whatever thats worth ;))

14. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Sorry guys (JD) but I’m going to have to disagree on the 7.62 in the AR platform on its accuracy. I’ve built two so far for a really good friend and both are extremely accurate at over 200 meters. Now, I will say that I have not measured the targets to get “how” accurate down to the ¼ inch but I will say they we can consistently hit a 10 inch steel plate at 265 meters with iron sights. I am building Glass’s Pink AR in 7.62 because she loved shooting the two I built. I’ll let y’all decide in June at the M&G as I’ll have a couple of them for y’all to test yourself.

Scubie

15. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

KimberKid is that a DI or a GP upper. just curious i thought the laquer'd wolf would foul it up after alot of shooting.

Dzscubie im very interested in how this turns out. please give me a update on it.

it does seem to me that true AR fans have some Hate toward the 7.62x39 round. cant be all that bad of a round and i mean sure ak's arent ment to shoot sub moa at 300yards but that doesnt mean that the round wont do it in the right gun...

16. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Can't say anything about the 7.62x39 in the AR platform, haven't even ever shot a 5.56 AR, but during my military service we got to shoot our issued Sako RK62s to 275 yds(300m) a few times. I'm not a great shooter, but I could still hit a torso sized target easily with the iron sights every time. A good shooter can definitely get pretty impressing results with the 7.62x39 even to 300 yds with the right gun.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Scubie I think I should probably caveat the following statement with the fact that I like you. :p

When I say that the 7.62 x 39mm, even on an AR platform isn't accurate, I am stating that position from my belief what I consider "accurate".

A bullet in this caliber will drop only 3 inches from zero to 100 yards, but from 100 to 200 it will drop an addiitonal 12 inches and from 200 to 300, it will drop another 21 inches. That is a 35 inch drop from zero to 300 yards.

Here are some numbers on the 7.62x39 with a 123 grainer:

2400fps at muzzle / point blank zero

50 yds - 2266 fps velocity - 0.80 in bullet drop
    100 yds - 2137 fps velocity - 3.30 in bullet drop
    150 yds - 2011 fps velocity - 7.65 in bullet drop
    175 yds - 1950 fps velocity - 10.65 in bullet drop
    200 yds - 1890 fps velocity - 14.20 in bullet drop
    225 yds - 1831 fps velocity - 18.30 in bullet drop
    250 yds - 1774 fps velocity - 23.25 in bullet drop
    275 yds - 1718 fps velocity - 28.70 in bullet drop
    300 yds - 1664 fps velocity - 35.00 in bullet drop

The round can easily hit a target at 300 yards, as evidenced by your buddies rifles'. The problem is, your change of zero, in battle field conditions, for a target is going to be VERY sporatic.

You zero at 100 and you have to make up 32 inches of drop, not to mention wind drift, on the fly in the moment it takes your target to get between hard cover points to hit at 300.

If you zero at 250 or 300, you have a moonshot of a trajectory, so closer shots have you aiming WAY low with "Kentucky Windage" to strike home.

I need to clarify my thoughts more often instead of "talking shop". In the shop, we have a preset level of defined characteristics.

ANY round can be accurate. Every round can hit a target it was designed and built to hit. That is why you have videos of guys shooting 200 and 300 yards on YouTube with their pistols and "proving" how accurate they are.

You can take a .22 Magnum and design a platform to shoot dimes at 300 or even 600 yards with the proper application of want and know how.

That doesn't mean a .22 Magnum is an idle 600 yard round. :cool:

JD

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  18. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Ummmm... OK?????

Attached Files:

19. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Damn...I'll take the 5th! :eek:

20. orangello

orangello New Member

I'll take one too, especially if it is the Evan Williams in 100 proof.