7.62x39 20" build plan under way.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Nathantc, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

3lb timney trigger
    ARR-990 - AR-15 Timney Skeleton Trigger 3 Lb Pull
    [​IMG]

and my osprey 6-24x50 scope with armalite mount.
    [​IMG]

here it is at 84 yards max zoom

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Hogue hand guard and grip, along with the foam of the ace stock should make this rifle very comfortable in the hands in all weather and very friendly on the cheek in cold or even hot weather.

This rifle will not be built to set any accuracy records with this round, it just going to be a damn nice looking mid size game hunting rifle for ranges of 400 yards and less.

I know I could just get an AK or saiga, or even a bolt gun in this cal, but none will be as comfortable off hand as this. atleast that how I feel about it. I also know that the barrel isn't chrome lined and that it is offered if I so choose. Chrome lining isn't important to me in the least. I also feel sense I will not be shooting full auto, dumping 10,000 rounds in a few days, or shooting corrosive ammo, chrome lining would be a waste.

This will be great hog, deer, dog, large cat, hunting rifle. I don't care that there are next to none hi-cap mags that work well, don't want them any how. I know there are other cal. Like 6.8spc or 6.5 grendal. There not available here local and are just a glorified version of the same cal. Only a bit more refined. Not to mention they cost almost as much as .308 defeating the point of buying them when .308 will far out perform them.

Do some research and u will see that 7.62x39 will stop most game animals with out issue at the 400 yards or less. Also the ammo cost less than .223 so you can get lots of practice. FMJ rounds are nice on small stuff like rabbits, it doesn't do to much damage but stops them in there tracks. Hollow point wolf will do wonders on deer with out destroying all the meat in its path.

One more time, this will be a hunting rifle that will see sub zero temps, and temp of 110+. So basically I want AK reliability, AR ergo's and optics mounting, with a taste of style.

2. dhyayi

dhyayi New Member

still on the go....

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

20" 7.62x39? Seems like a lot of waisted barrel.

Why not just get a PSL/Dragonov?

4. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

had one, dont really care for it
    [​IMG]

5. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

IM thinking a build like this
    it would have a comfortable cheek rest, great optics mount, and better than practical accuracy. The ability for a top notch trigger and look great

This look
    [​IMG]
    But with this barrel
    [​IMG]

Or the much cheaper route
    Still have great practical accuracy but less than the AR set up. Still looks great. Less comfort, less ideal optics mount, less trigger options, crappy ergos. Top notch reliability in all weather
    [​IMG]

Knowing me I will probably build the AR any way, and end up getting the 20" saiga just for the hell of it. If so it would be some time next year that I have both set up and scoped ready to go. If and when that happens I will do a side by side comparison of the two,,,,,,,,y not right.

And its not a waist of barrel at all. I like the look of the longer barrel with used with a scope, and I like the added velocity, even if minimal. Its also noticeably quieter. The longer barrel doesn't hurt any thing, it not going to be a go to gun for selfdefence or will it ever be used in doors where smaller weapons are favored. IM simply building a rifle that I think will be comfortable in all weather and be a great looking, usable hunting rifle.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Nice looking SKS up there with the PSL.

Just signing in to watch the progress. If i ever get an AR, it will be in 7.62x39 or .308; i just don't like .223 when i shoot it.

Any particular reason for the piston conversion?

7. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

cheap steel case ammo is filthy and the piston will be more reliable for that. DI guns are fine in there own rite but perform much better with brass ammo only.

8. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I have a couple DI ARs that would disagree w/ that statement.:p

9. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

I will be following this. Looking forward to seeing a finished product.

10. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

my light weight build i did will eat just about any thing as well, but, i can go threw 3 times the ammo when shooting brass with out a hickup. that steel starts to give some issues after about 100rds or so, its just dirty as hell.

11. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

Thanks for all that info, I will be following this too. That Google map was a nice touch.

12. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

Yeah I think pix do far more talking than I can type.

I also find that is is kinda of a taboo subject. Every time I talk good about 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 some one always jumps in and tells me IM wasting my time that there junk useless rounds and yadda yadda yadda. Honestly I don't think that 5.56 is worth the money it cost to shoot it, no surplus any way. Its no better or worse that the commie stuff.

7.62x39 has more practical uses any way and would be far better for close combat or home defense. Any one who would argue that is some one who has not used them in any real world scenario. IM not talking about what it can do on paper. Every AK I have ever had, when scoped, would stay within 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 groups at 100 yards, you don't need better than that unless your going for small game like I use my AR for.

Its kinda like this,
    a 22-250 is more accurate than a .308. Its faster, flatter, but much smaller. I have owned both and I went to .223 and 7.62x39 cause there cheaper to shoot and for me they do the same inside of the 400 yards of possible shooting distance I have available to me.

The 22-250 just didn't make any sense to me cause for the distance that it can go it lacks any real knockdown power. The .308 just seemed silly to me cause its the same price box for box as 30.06 as far as ammo goes. If IM going to pay that much for ammo I want the best I can get for my money so I have a 30.06 for my super long rang shooting that I don't get to do often enough.

If u ever get the chance to bust a milk jug at 1000 yards its a heart warming feeling.

13. Nathantc

Nathantc New Member

cause i have never built a piston ar. if i dont like it i will have options. also i know i will build another some time and it doesnt hurt to add a carrier to my spare parts bin.