7.62 x 39 hunting round

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by whyme, Oct 2, 2012.

1. whyme

whyme New Member

I'm thinking about tagging along with some buddies this year and I'm wondering what kind of round you guys use for 7.62 x 39? Pros and cons what be great. Thx

And yes I know it says funting. Lol. Damn iPhone. It wouldn't let me edit the tittle

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I shoot cheap steel cased stuff for practice in my SKS and it packs quite a punch, I would imagine just about any hunting ammo would be suitable.

I have heard very good things about Hornady though.

3. whyme

whyme New Member

I'm shooting steel core surplus as well for target. Just curious as to what i should be looking for. Size, weight, material.

4. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Look at the Hornady SST's, V-Max or if you desire to look stupid, the Z-Max.;)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  5. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Brass too expensive. Been shooting Golden Tigers. Great ammo.

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I dont know what state you are in. But in many states it is illegal to use fmj ammo to hunt. In Colorado you would be required to use expanding bullets. Soft points are popular. If you are thinking of using an sks you will want to pick up a 5 round mag. In Colorado it is illegal to use a semi auto that will hold more than 5 in the mag. I am sure we are not the only state with a law like that.

7. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Shooting cheap steel cased ammo is great for punching paper and doing a lot of high volume shooting. But when it comes to a hunting round, spend the extra money on something that is likely to work well at expanding, penetrating deeply, and retaining the jacket and as much weight as possible. You are not going to go and dump these rounds by the hundreds so spending the extra won't be so bad. Besides, if you really put any effort into scouting, tracking, hunting, and buying the tags and other hunting supplies, you'd be pissed if you lost a deer because the bullet you chose sucked.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You are clear he is asking about HUNTING ammo, right?

I like the Winchester SP's

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Oops. Yeah, I forgot to put a recommendation in there. I'll second the Winchester soft points. A shipmate of mine dropped a good sized mature buck last season using a 7.62x39 AR and the Winchester SP ammo.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

125 grain soft point is available from several mfgs. I have also seen some 150 grain soft points. Silver Bear has been 100% in my Mini 30 and is probably what I would use unless I hand loaded some rounds.

11. steve4102

steve4102 New Member

Any of the name brand soft point will do the job. Do not use Varmint bullets like the V-Max or the Z-Max, they are to fragile and may explode on impact.

Along with your SP bullet selection you might want to test some different brands for accuracy. It's not uncommon for some brands to shoot better than others.

My Whitetail bullet is 110gr Barnes TTSX at just under 2700fps.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  12. whyme

whyme New Member

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. In up in Alberta, so all the mags are already pinned to five.

13. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

I thought he said 'funting' ... :confused:

14. res45

res45 New Member

As mentioned try a few different brands to see which is the most accurate,stay away from the V-Max or Z-Max bullet for big game there not designed for that purpose. As far as the SP or HP commie ammo you need to remember those bullet have steel jackets and although they will kill game expansion is not always reliable if you push the shot out to far where the physical forces on the bullets will cause it to act more like a FMJ than a SP or HP.

If available Prvi Partizan make a nice SP bullet all copper jacket lead core as well as Win. Remington and Federal. If you have the resources and knowledge you can always pul the surplus ammo FMJ and replaces it with an equal or lesser weight commercial SP bullet designed to expand at 7.62 x 39 velocity.

If not just use one of the available imported 123 to 125 gr. or the heavier 154 gr. ammo and keep your shot as close as possible withing 100 yds. or less.

An example here is the 154 gr. Russian SP bullet that was recovered from a 200+ lb. deer,shot was from 80 yds. deer was shot in the chest and bullet ended up in the rear hind quarter without striking any bone. If the bullet hadn't punctured several of the vitals the deer probably wouldn't have been recovered.
    [​IMG]

15. unclebear

unclebear New Member

i don't know about there 7.62X39 but I have some of there 7.62X54R soft nose and it does a pretty damn good job. I shot a pig with one and it expended pretty well took a nice chunk out of the exit wound. 7.62X39 is pretty good round I like it its not as powerful as my mosin but its good for deer in thick brush.

16. res45

res45 New Member