Featured 7.62 x 39 BCA upper. You guessed it...light primer strikes. any ideas?

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by CZ Newb, Oct 15, 2020 at 7:26 PM.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

The RedX enhanced FP is sufficient if you have a "normal" hammer spring. A lighter hammer spring can still cause problems.
    On all my upgraded (polished and Nibo coated) triggers I took out the softer spring that came with it and replaced with Milspec spring so I would be able to shoot hard primered ammo such as Golden Tiger.

As long as u have the enhanced FP you should not need to go to heavy Wolff Hammer springs.

CZ Newb likes this.
  2. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

went back to the range today and tried my 7.62 x 39 upper (with the Red X arms enhanced firing pin) with a DiamondBack DB15 lower....with the nice clunky long travel mil specish trigger lol

out of maybe 150rds I think i did have 1 light primer strike. So im pretty much cooking with gas now

I did have a few failure to feed type issues which im pretty sure are going to come down to the ASC mags (even though thats what Bear Creek recommends)

I have 2 asc mags, a 10 and a 20. The "10" is pretty much a "9" because I have yet to be able to get 10 in it lol. The 20 seems to me to have too weak of a spring. The first few rds load into it almost too easily. So Im not sure but i suspect its that mag that was giving me the few ftf issues but Im not sure. I was too busy enjoying the shooting to remember which mag it was

My next move will probably be to get a better trigger but yet one that still has a strong hammerfall. Perhaps a Hipertouch...but i'll probably research a bit before I decide. Ill probably try some c products mags too

cheers and thanks

towboater and bluez like this.

3. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Darn, I wish I knew you were going to buy mags! Ok, I went with ASC cause BCA uses them. Learned my lesson on that. So, here is what I use now exclusively.
    C Products Defense. DO NOT buy any labeled as just C Products. They were bought by the new name owners who fixed the problems.
    I absolutely hate ASC mags now!!!

towboater, bluez, Rifling82 and 2 others like this.
  4. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

The 10 mag doesnt seem too bad. The 20 seems pretty flimsy. I managed to drop it a couple times on concrete and my faith wasnt inspired much lol

towboater and Oldoutlaw like this.
  5. Oldoutlaw

Oh yes, I know exactly what you mean. Been there. :)

towboater, Rifling82 and CZ Newb like this.
  6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A guy on utube was thinning out the stop on the back of the pin to make it protrude further. $7 for a spare pin as opposed to $$$ for an enhanced. Chucked it in a drill press and used a needle file. I need to do something similar to my Mini 30. The AR pins are a lot simpler.

CZ Newb likes this.
  7. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

enhanced is like $11 lol. Gee, why dont I just run out and buy a drill press and learn to use it

8. Oldoutlaw

Some for less even.

towboater and CZ Newb like this.
  9. JTJ

I was seeing higher prices.

CZ Newb likes this.
  10. JTJ

I have been searching for CPD mags and they are unicorns. I found 10 round but higher capacity??? I am seeing prices of $24-$30 for 30 round mags.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 9:56 PM
    towboater and CZ Newb like this.
  11. Triumphman

Triumphman Well-Known Member

I recently built an AR x39 upper and have shot both Brown Bear and Tula steel cased ammos in it without problems.

Both these ammos use Berdan primers, nor set deep into case pocket as the video showed, and easily 100rds so far have gone smoothly, with no FTF shots.
    If I had ammo with that deep of primer, I'd guess I would have firing issues also with using any AR instead of the old reliable AK that was made to shoot anything out of Russia/Chinese ammo plants where QC is someone's name and not a standard of build.

The BCG I use/purchased from KMTactical was already set up as a x39 as this is the first 7.62 I've built, so now its learning what problems could crop up, which so far I've found to be from either mags(30 rounder), firing pin or hammer spring(s), but so far it's doing great, but I do need to order some more extended pins and bolts as spare.

I'm also using a lower I built using RRA 2-stage Match Trigger and not had problems with the hammer spring firing what ammo I've sent down the pipe so far, so it can't be just the spring weight people are having problems with, if my 3-3.5# pull will fire off with no problems, but again I haven't tried any hard *** primer'd rounds either.

towboater likes this.
  12. Oldoutlaw

Magazines are in high demand just like ammo is. Prices are up a lot this year it seems. Glad I already had bought all I need.

towboater and Rifling82 like this.
  13. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

maybe im just imagining I had a bunch of light primer strikes

towboater likes this.
  14. CZ Newb

CZ Newb Active Member

essentially this was the answer, good call

of course, im not going to leave it at that because I want something better than a milspec trigger lol

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 6:42 PM
    towboater and Oldoutlaw like this.