7.62 vs. .223

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Dude, May 27, 2007.

1. Dude

Dude New Member

In a SHTF situation which would you prefer?

.223 - Less stopping power, more accuracy.
    7.62x39 - More stopping power, less accuracy.

2. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

7.62 Vs .223

Dude/ALL

Well, I have and do use BOTH, but you sort of reduced it to past simplicity? It's not that 223 does this or 7.62X39 does that, it that the degigns that fire them, are as you mentioned? Take Galil .223, it can shoot with most ar action as far as accure goes, and be as rouged and touch as an ak? Most AR's fire 223, are accurate but don't take abuse well? It's simply not that easy an issue! Both have advantakes and dis-advantages and it's best to know what those are and use whats best? Don't use a hammer to do the job of a saw?

RON L

3. Brent L

Brent L New Member

Both. In the appropriate platforms. Never LIMIT yourself.

You could discuss this all day. Both are very similar in intent and performance, albeit at different distances.

If pinned to one - .223. More rounds per weight and more loadings for performance. Also one more note - more manufacturers of platforms.

4. bkt

bkt New Member

Agreed. After doing a side-by-side of a friend's WASR10 and another friend's Colt AR-15, the AR won hands down for accuracy. I don't care what the round is: shot placement is the key.

Now, if you're talking a 7.62x51, that's a different animal entirely and I could see owning both that and 5.56.

Which reminds me...I really need to start saving my pennies for a Garand.

5. Brent L

Brent L New Member

6. BLS33

BLS33 New Member Supporter

Well in a good ol' fashioned SHTF moment I would take 7.62x39 being fed through an AK47 with 30 rds at my immediate disposal. Accurate? No not really. Reliable and plenty of stopping power? you bet.

7. rachilders

rachilders New Member

+1 to that. However, I have both (AR & AK) so which one isn't a problem at this point. :D

8. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

Actually there is still much debate over the stopping power of 5.56x45mm. I have seen its effect on personel first hand, and don't doubt its stopping power for a second. 7.62X39mm only outshines the 5.56 in barrier penetration (which means nothing if you can't put the bullet where you want it to go).

I will take an accurate rifle in 5.56 over a bullet hose any day. The whole ARs are not reliable, and fragile myth is just that....a myth. If you buy a $550 Olympic Arms plinker model, a couple of cheap steel magazines, and a few boxes of Wolf don't expect reliablilty. If you build or buy a good quality AR, use USGI mags, and brass cased ammo you will have a reliable, accurate, light rifle.

9. BLS33

BLS33 New Member Supporter

If I need to hit targets over 100 yards away I would go with an AR.

10. RONSERESURPLUS

RONSERESURPLUS New Member

7.62X39 vs .223? 5.56?

Hello all

At Present, I own the AK in 7.62X39, I have No Problem with .223, Yes it works and even if you don't take in the More Rounds per same weight arguments, The 7.62X39 being a better stopper in most cases, it's all where the Shot is Placed and with my AK, most targets Man sized at 100-150 yards are in serious Peril! Could I reack Farther with .223, Maybe, do I shoot over 200 yards anymore? NO? Remember, its the riflemen as well that is a key element in the deadly aspect of that rifle or carbine? I use 7.62 as a lot I stocked up and when the GUN ban was on and silly I sold my AR for 5X what I paid for it, No way I could have gotten that for the AK and it's been a faithfull companion over ther years! Just what works for you, you will have to try and find out, RIGHT?

RON L

11. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

How about a scoped AR-15? That's the ticket right there. It'll let you carry lighter ammo than the AK or the 7.62 NATO shooters. It will give you really good distance and excellent accuracy out far beyond the AK type of rifles. Those two murdering morons a couple of years ago around Washington, D.C., proved how effective a scoped M-4 type of carbine could be. Imagine if those guys had really known what they were doing or had practiced a bit...

12. Dibby

Dibby New Member

Agreed.

+1
    A friend and firearms dealer responded to a similar question as follows:

0-200 yds - AK
    200-500 yds - AR
    500-800 yds - M14

but again, no other circumstances or scenarios were suggested. I would like to someday own all 3.

Dib

13. Tom the roofer

Tom the roofer New Member

I got to ask even though I feel like a complete idiot because I just can't figure it out. What is SHTF? :confused:

14. bkt

bkt New Member

A "Sh*t Hits The Fan" scenario is a really, really bad event involving infrastructure/economic collapse mixed with (localized?) disaster where you have to rely on yourself to survive.

So in the context of this thread, what round is more effective and what rifle is more reliable?

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would have to say I would go with a platform piece to cover all bases, preferably in the AR category. You can have one well built lower in either round configuration and then have a couple of uppers. Mags would be transferable regardless and ammo would be the same, so that cuts down on weight and transport problems. I would choose .223, but the recent changes in 7.62 x 51 in the AR platform are interesting and need some research in th coming months. :cool:

I would chose one short barrel for short distance work and one long barreled upper for more long range engagements. With the aftermarket for AR being the equivilent of a 7-11 currently, there is no shortage of variables and mods you can perform on one platform and it's a hell of a lot cheaper to prepare, and easier to transport, one weapon in your arms and one upper in your backpack.

D

16. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

If I had to chose (because I own both types of rifles), I'd go with my POF p415 gas piston AR (5.56). I have about 1K of 7.62 X 39, but the .223 is much more available locally. You could pull a Red Dawn and just raid the sporting goods stores (if need be) and gun shops. ;)

17. bkt

bkt New Member

7.62x51 is very different from a 7.62x39. I'd opt for the former in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I'm good taking my chances with a .223/5.56.

(Notice to AK owners: I fully appreciate and envy the degree of abject abuse an AK can take and still perform. That feature alone has me really, really wanting one. But getting one right now would really, really piss off my wife, however, so I must go about this very discreetly.)

18. gnoll

gnoll New Member

You just ruined me day jk
    i love to go over bored and do thins the heard way just to see and it might not be a striate cut but the hammer did work
    On another note what you sed rings true
    THAT DOG WILL BARK

i love your thinking every one thinks that way but id be getting soap and some other cleaning needs!!!
    now dont take it as me bad mouthing i just had to add that

NOW TO THE POINT AT HAND
    SHTF
    one is never truly alone and you shooting buddys come in handy here
    one dude on a hill for covering fire 7.62
    one dude hidden for "sniper shots" 5.56
    and one dude a long way off Sniping shooting any thing from a 300 WM on up
    so MY answer here is i dont know i have my own thoughts 7.62 in any of the MM(25,39,51,54r) im a 30 cal. man
    but never take away from any of the other options out there , there is always something better but that is just my 2 cents

19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Oh, I am fully versed in the differences, but the recent changes in the 7.62x51mm platform for the AR have me pondering whether or not I need to upgrade my platform and stock one universal round. I could load one universal round - .308/7.62x51mm for both my sniper stick AND my AR. How can you go wrong with THAT??

20. freefall

freefall New Member

Where are you and what will you encounter. I live in Alaska and could run into a 1200 lb bear. Not happy with a 7.62x39 but better that than a woodchuck rd. Just recently decided to go with SKSs as shtf rifles over Marlin 336s. Ease of disassembly and cleaning the deciding factor. SKS over AK for accuracy. Don't need a bullet hose, can only carry so much ammo. Yes it would be better to have M1As, but bank acct only stretches so far and Mrs Freefall isn't built to hump a 12 lb rifle. Luck.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008