Firearms Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting my 10th build and my first AR pistol build. It is a 5.56 with a 7.5" barrel. I have been reading a lot about cycling issues. From what I have gathered, I need to create some extra back pressure to help cycling. I keep seeing the PWS CQB and the Noveske "flaming pig" coming up as solutions. Has anyone tried any other devices that work well? Any input would be appreciated, thank you

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The other alternative is to run a H3 buffer, but why buy another buffer wen I still need a muzzle device.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I use the Troy Claymore on my 7" SBR works fine, cycles eveything from cheap Tula to match grade ammo . I would not run a H3 buffer til you know it works on a carbine buffer first . One of the things I have found out is it will not cycle .22lr ammo with the .22 conversion kit which tells me it does not have the oomph like it does in a 16" barrel that cycles it fine . throw in a H3 buffer with lower gas pressure and you got problems . I run a 3.8oz buffer in mine which would be about equivalent to a H buffer . Remember they all run different depending on the gas hole size shorter barrels are some times finicky so be patient , just buy a barrel from a reputable manufacturer .

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
purehavoc said:
I use the Troy Claymore on my 7" SBR works fine, cycles eveything from cheap Tula to match grade ammo . I would not run a H3 buffer til you know it works on a carbine buffer first . One of the things I have found out is it will not cycle .22lr ammo with the .22 conversion kit which tells me it does not have the oomph like it does in a 16" barrel that cycles it fine . throw in a H3 buffer with lower gas pressure and you got problems . I run a 3.8oz buffer in mine which would be about equivalent to a H buffer . Remember they all run different depending on the gas hole size shorter barrels are some times finicky so be patient , just buy a barrel from a reputable manufacturer .
Thanks for the info. I just got everything to finish the build except the upper receiver. I've thought about the claymore. Might be good with the claymore because I only have half the threads sticking out of the rail anyway. Need to come out an inch or too. I'll give it a shot with the H buffer first. Thanks again Purehavoc!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just got everything to finish the build except the upper receiver. I've thought about the claymore. Might be good with the claymore because I only have half the threads sticking out of the rail anyway. Need to come out an inch or too. I'll give it a shot with the H buffer first. Thanks again Purehavoc!
No problem , once you go SBR and get that stamp it will be a bad addiction , you think BRD is bad you aint seen nothing yet ;)
I will see how my new one goes but it may get a stamp also and get sent back to KRISS to go SBR

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
purehavoc said:
No problem , once you go SBR and get that stamp it will be a bad addiction , you think BRD is bad you aint seen nothing yet ;)
I will see how my new one goes but it may get a stamp also and get sent back to KRISS to go SBR
I ended up getting the PWS CQB. I'll get the Claymore on the next build. I have other PWS muzzle devices on other builds , and they work great.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I use the Noveske "pig" style on the 9.5" SBR I built a year or so ago and the gun has had no problems. Only thing to be aware of is due to the design, if you are on the front end - off to the side obviously - of the gun there is a major increase in felt blast and concussion. OTOH, for those behind the gun there is a noticeable DECREASE in noise level.

FYI, my gun started out as a pistol (PLR-16) so it was already set to run with a shorter barrel using a gas piston design. The compensator I installed was more to help control the blast, but it also seems to improve and increase the speed of the cycling process by increasing back pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Mine is a DI rifle. Sometimes they do have issues. Most of them easily worked out. Just check the gas hole for debris before u build it. I'm not a big piston fan but they seem to work well in a sbr. I can just do with the extra weight and proprietary parts. If it breaks I want capatable parts quick

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
As Havoc knows, linear compensators also doulbe as great leaf blowers and deck de_ icers.

In response to your question tho, linear comps increase the dwell time. So if your build is short cycling it will help a lot. Also don't start with a h3. Heavier buffers. I run a 7.5 with a kx3 and a h1 buffer. Cycles weak stuff just fine. A h2 buffer on my build induces short cycling with some of the weaker ammo. Ymmv.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
AgentTikki said:
As Havoc knows, linear compensators also doulbe as great leaf blowers and deck de_ icers.

In response to your question tho, linear comps increase the dwell time. So if your build is short cycling it will help a lot. Also don't start with a h3. Heavier buffers. I run a 7.5 with a kx3 and a h1 buffer. Cycles weak stuff just fine. A h2 buffer on my build induces short cycling with some of the weaker ammo. Ymmv.
I'll keep that in mind, thanks

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AgentTikki said:

I actually got the Phase 5 pistol buffer tube assembly, not sure what kind of buffer comes with that. I'll have to check unless someone knows?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Sweet looking build! More pics plzzzzzzz!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sgt_Skrb_25 said:
Thanks AgentTikki ,Some more pics of my almost done pistol.
I just realized I have my sights on backwards. I threw them on just to get a semi- finished build pic. I looked at the picks and thought it looked off. Brainfart!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts