7-30 Waters

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hogrider, May 19, 2011.

1. hogrider

hogrider New Member

I have a Winchester in 7-30 Waters. I understand and can see that it's just a 7mm bullet on a 30-30 case. I happen to like it a lot. What kept this combination from being a standard? Did the 30-30 just continue to win out or was it something like a .223 that did it in. Just curious.

2. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

When something new comes on the market, no one knows if it will be a hit or a miss. For sure there are alot more that miss than take off. The 7-30 is a fine round that just turned out to be a miss. jmho

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The 7-30 Waters is a fine round but is just about dead. It was meant to extend the range of lever guns but since it required flat nose bullets in those lever guns it fell short of improving upon 30-30 ballistics. Where it really shined is the TC Contender where you could use spitzer bullets. I had a Contender barrel in 7-30 Waters and wound up rechambering it for the "Ackley" improved version.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

If at the time it came out there were the plastic tipped bullets safe for lever guns mighta been a different story

5. hogrider

hogrider New Member

Oh yeah, I sorta forgot about the flat nose bullet requirement. I've loaded mine with spitzer type and only put one in the chamber and one in the magazine for so long, I just forgot about it even though I was compensating for it. Da! The spitzer type does make a world of difference believe me. I do remember how poor the flat nose performed.