$ 640 electric bill!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by hillbilly68, Jan 29, 2010.

1. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

Just talked to my folks that live in the Appalachians, Dad said their electric bill last month was $640. :eek:
    They are elderly and live in a very nice 1970's house, but it just has electric heat. Luckily the cost is not an issue for them, but holy jigglin' alligator scrotum Batman! That suuuuuuuucks.

2. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

In TX, they are switching to new "Smart Meters" that do not require to be read manually. Some people who have received the first new meters are complaining about their electric bills tripling. That's in Irving for those who are affected.

3. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

That is just nasty, Hillbilly! You ever thought about beefing up their insulation? It is only gonna get worse...well that is if Global Warming does not kick in. There are other measures, like new windows and sweaters.

Oh, wait, if BO gets control of the utilities, then they can expect to pay pennies. (sorry, I had to say that) :eek:

4. yesicarry

yesicarry New Member

cheap solution

I live in the Pacific Northwest.. When it get's cold, I go to Home Depot and get the window insulation kit. Comes with 2 sided tape and plastic sheets.
    Did my apt. when winter rolled in. Had to turn down the heater. Not kidding..
    It helps.
    Drawback - Can't open the window on nice days.. But the savings outweigh the hassle !!

5. orangello

orangello New Member

The Infernal Revenue Service does have some decent tax credits for installing improvements to make homes more energy efficient including better windows and insulation and water heaters (gas only i bleve) and such. The tax credit is up to 30% of qualifying costs, but is limited to $1500, i bleve. Some states have similar credits, especially on appliances.

I didn't think gators had a scrotum? :D

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  6. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Good harvest? :rolleyes:

7. user4

user4 New Member

Eeek! I'll be on the lookout for that. Electric its too high as it is here.

8. divinginn

divinginn New Member

I just set a new record of 450 dollars.

9. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

My WATER bill was $780 last month. Stupid leaking pipes

10. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Our electricity bill is around $45 average... but we have gas appliances (stove, water heater, dryer)... national average must be around $60...
    Seems cheap but the minimum wage is $235 or so... you could expect spend like $130 in food and $200 in rent.... now do the maths... :D
    As an engineer I used to earn around $500 month... my dad makes a lot more god thanks....

11. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

My electric runs about $120 - $150/month. That's for hot water and cooking and back-up heating. Primary heating is from my pellet stove. I have a generator on the motorhome to run the stove when the power is out. Pellets run $5/40# bag. I burn 1 bag per day in the coldest of winter (15 deg) when temps don't get above 33 deg during the day. When temps are more moderate (38-48) a bag lasts two to three days. I'm heating ~2,000 sq ft of living space. The bedrooms are isolated and the electric keep them at 60 deg.

12. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Holy Hell!!! That's bordering on obscene cost. My apartment, built in the 70s, also has electric heat (electric everything) but then, it's an apartment and not house sized...990 square feet. It probably also helps that for 4 days a week, while I'm at work, the only electric things running are my clocks and fridge. I'm gone from 0530 to 1930 (and sometimes later) so my electric bills in the winter of less than $190 are not uncommon. Also, I turn the heat off at night while I'm asleep because I can't see heating the place when I'm under the covers. Sure it's cold in the morning when I get up but after ½ an hour of turning on the heat, it's comfortable again. And for a 59-year old fat man, that's saying something. I hate the cold. I prefer 45°C over 45°F any day.

45°C = 113°F for those that don't have a conversion program handy...

13. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Wow and I was upset about ours being $180 last month. Mind you that is with the 2 weeks of not seeing anything above 30 and this house is 50 years old. Usually it's around $120.

14. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

MY father who lives in CA and who worked for the power company and get a 20% discount. I talked to him last week and he said his electric was $1200 for one month. This is 2 people who don't run the heat or A/C unless they have to they have Oil heat too by the way and they live in the dark not turning a light on during the day hardly at all because they have big windows. The don't run heat for the pool or the filter unless they have to. The pool or hottub didn't run at all last month and $1200 is teh bill they got. You see in CA if you have gas, wood, or oil heat the electrict company has to charge you extra because the state says so. Tell me how effing stupid that is. Luckily my dad knew the guy the PG&E send to check out the house to see if it had all electric.

15. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Pacific Gouge & Extortion? I lived in San Diego county back in the 80s and their power sucked. I could sit on my couch at night and watch my lights throughout the house flicker...and not at 60 Hz either. A regular, pulsing flicker. This was before those "curley" bulbs so when incandescent bulbs flicker, you know your power is bulls**t.

As for the regulations in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, it's beyond human understanding where they come up with the crap they spew.