6.8SPC and 458 SOCOM

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Txhillbilly, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Does anyone shoot either of these? I'm interested in them,but just don't know if I want to dish out the cash on another upper.
    I really like the 458 SOCOM but ammo,and brass are hard to find right now.

2. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

I have both, love both. I know...that tells you a lot right? The 6.8SPC was hoped to be the great fix-all, replace-all round for the 5.56. But the jury is still out on that, as well as on the 6.5 Grendel. It packs almost the power of a .308, but at weight more like a 5.56, so definitely a plus there. Where it seems to lack a little bit of luster is in long range performance. But I've shot mine out to 4-500 yards with good results. No, I don't think you'll be competing in any 1000yd matches, but it wasn't designed for that. Go here for more info:

Silver State Armory manufactures and sells 6.8 SPC Ammunition and custom brass cases, 5.56 ammo, 7.62x51 ammo

6.8SPC FAQ

..::68FORUMS::..

The .458SOCOM, basically came out of the same requests. SpecOps folks wanted something that was going to give better performance for QCB out to say 2-300yds. 250-600gr projectiles flying at up to 2000 fps, will definitely get something's attention. Lots of folks using them for boar, deer, elk, etc. giving performance very similar to a .45-70 and capable of using std .223 magazines. Check out this site for more info:

Teppo Jutsu : Advanced Firearms Applications

The 458 SOCOM

458 SOCOM Ammunition

Slo

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Thanks Slow,I was just thinking that both would be good for deer & hogs,with the 458 being the best for the hogs. My thought about them was in the 200-300 yrd range.

What is the recoil of the 458 like? I figured it would be about like a 12ga shotgun. Do you have to run a heavier buffer spring with it?

Thanks for the ammo link,Cane.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yea it uses the same mags but a 30 round 5.56 mag will only hold 10 rounds of 458. Too big a real estate gap to keep the troops supplied. I don't see this round replacing the 5.56 NATO.

Here's some videos for the 458, it would be an arm-full on auto! A great hog round though!!!

5. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Yep, about the same as shooting 12Ga slugs, nothing you can't handle. Heck, my wife has shot mine and doesn't flinch. The 6.8SPC is just a little bit more on the recoil than the 5.56, but less than a .243. If you order a complete .458 Socom upper assembly from RRA, they do come with a couple springs, at least mine did. They are a bit heavier than your normal spring, makes sense, and one is for a collapsible stock, the other fits an A2 stock.

Not exactly a tack driver (about 1.5 to 1.75 MOA - but more than enough for that type of hunting), but with that kind of performance, I think I'd die from shock if I knew that heavy of a round was coming at me :eek: :D

I'm definitely going to have to invest in reloading gear again, as soon as I get done with re-training and get re-employed to be able to afford this darn hobby. I already have one gun (.338 Lapua Mag) that cost over $4 a round. The .458 Socom is in the same range.:( So it definitely pays to reload your own.

Slo

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010