6.8 spc

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by hunter Joe, Jan 29, 2010.

1. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

O kay smellas here's my dilemma. I ordered a kit in 6,8 for my granddaughter for hunting whitetails. I'm not quite sure when it will arrive but I thought I'd get busy reloading.

Gonna use some H335, got that, small pistol primers, check, have to order the dies, cases, and projectiles. Looked in the Midway sales paper and did not find too much for that round. I'm looking for a 115 grain projectile suitable for whitetails. It is illegal to use FMJ's here in Wisconsin for hunting plus I'm not sure if a FMJ would transfer enough energy for a humane kill.

My granddaughter will be ten come next whitetail season and would not be able to drag a deer too far, if you get my drift, and I'm too old and fat.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

FMJ are the last bullet you want to use to hunt with unless you are hunting smellie guys with towels on their heads.

the 6.8 is a 7mm bullet. The barns triple shocks in 110 or 120 gr would be great to use in that case and I am sure they will take out a white tail with a vengeance.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Small RIFLE primers. DO NOT use small pistol primers in a rifle.

4. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Sorry Robo that was a slip at the key board and a brain fart. I have about ten thousand WSPs and WSRs and I try not to mixed them up. That would be like a bad chemistry experiment.

Tango, it's illegal to use FMJ's in Wisconsin for whitetails so that is a big no no, but if your telling me I can use 7mm projectiles, then I'm down with that. I'm loading 7 mag and I load 7mm-08 for the Encore. It's a wonder I only found a couple bullets in 6.8 Rem SPC. One is made by Hornady, and Sierra also make a 6.8 in a Match King. Neither would be very good for whitetails IMO. Those bullets are the same diameter as a .270 (.277). So can I also go with the .270 projectile?

Thanks for the help fellas, Joe

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

the bullet dia for a 6.8 spc is 6.8mm or .277"

So you have plenty of bullet choices. I am sure the bullets you found specifically for the 6.8 were devlopped for it and work best at the velocity of this cartridge.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  6. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

That may be so but the 6.8 bullets I found were not suitable for hunting. So IYHO what if your favorite brand of projectiles for lightweight hunting bullet?

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I am a big fan of hornady. I always have good accuracy with Hornady bullets.

But anything under 130gr is classified as a varmint bullet.

I would look at Barns or one of the other premium bullets. for white tail hunting.

8. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

My current dilemma is that 6.8 brass comes in large primer hole and small primer hole. I need to order the brass so I'm ready to shoot when the kit comes.

I've have not located a lot of load data for the 6.8 and wondering if anyone reloads 6.8 and can steer me in the right direction. I've read where the small primer brass will extend the life of the brass, although, someone told me the 6.8 was designed as a large primer cartridge. I'm going to use 110 grain Hornady V-Max bullets.

I'm so confused. Joe

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

i use hornady bullets for hunting. gander mountain over in kenosha usually has what i need in .458 not sure about what they got in 6.8. soft point is the way to go however for hunting. FMJ right out except in survival/starvation situation.

10. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

11. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

My dilemma is not with the bullet but with the brass. 6.8 brass comes in either large primer pocket or small primer pocket. I have found a few loads using 110 grain projectiles but whether I need to use small primer pocket brass or large primer pocket brass is the question. I was hoping to find somebody that loads 6.8 with 110 grain Hornady V-Max bullets and tell me which brass they use. I'm not sure how different size primers affect pressure.

At any rate I ordered the dies today and going to a gun show tomorrow near Milwaukee.

This bug is creeping me out.

12. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I use Nosler Ballistic Tips in my 7mm-08 and I would not use them in a 110 grain format. My question is about the cartridge not the projectile.

13. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

edify: To instruct especially so as to encourage intellectual, moral, or spiritual improvement.

I use a 140 grain BT in 7mm-08 for whitetails and the 6.8 is also going to be use as a whitetail firearm for my granddaughter. As you know the BT very rarely retains any of it's mass after impact. The BT's that I have dug out of animals were hardly recognizable as anything save hunks of jagged copper. I have on occasion sucked a whole lung out of a whitetail though an exit whole using a BT.

I actually believe that 115 grain Sierra Pro Hunter would fit the bill in the 6.8 format on said whitetails. IMHO and I've been wrong before, belief me, I think I going to need a projectile that retains it's integrity a little better than a BT does in that light of a bullet. I've found a forum dedicated to the 6.8 and am now researching and picking brains. I can't wait to start doing my own research, that is, if the kit ever arrives from J&T.